inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Take off eh? Bob and Doug McKenzie to return in cartoon form

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/29/08 at 9:59 am

Fans of the movie Strange Brew and SCTV will be happy to hear the duo have reunited and are going to be animated for an upcoming cartoon version of their characters. Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis are going to be doing the voices as well, no lame imitations!

The Bob and Doug characters launched as a two-minute skit on the Canadian Broadcasting Corp's sketch-comedy series SCTV in 1980, in part to mock federal government rules that require the public broadcaster to air identifiably "Canadian content" in its homegrown TV shows.

Full story at Yahoo News

inthe80s.com

Subject: Re: Take off eh? Bob and Doug McKenzie to return in cartoon form

Written By: whistledog on 04/29/08 at 6:41 pm

This could be a big comeback for Rick Moranis.  Haven't heard from him since those 'Honey, I Shrunk the Kids' movies LOL  Dave's brother Ian Thomas, who was a very popular singer in Canada, did the music for 'Strange Brew' so I wonder if he will score the theme to the cartoon?

In the 90s, Rick and Dave donned the Bob and Doug characters for a series of Molson Canadian ads, in one of which they are seen stealing a Molson transport ;D

Written By: cooper street relic on 04/29/08 at 10:48 pm

They were just a live action cartoon anyway. :-\\

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/13/08 at 1:29 am

Take Off To the Great White North (ian thomas dougs brother & rush)
http://www.zshare.net/audio/119429933e85e2cb/
Wow I'll get out my coleman stove & some back bacon for that! ;D

Written By: Zeb on 06/11/08 at 3:56 pm

I love that sketch and I have Strange Brew on DVD.  I can't make it through "holiday time" without listening to their "Twelve Days of Christmas" over and over.

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/12/08 at 12:56 am

The Unknown fact behind Bob & Doug was during an SCTV script submission the CRTC denied some of the scripts as it didn't have enough "Canadian Content"!!??.Lived here all my life & I don't know what that means :o
So Dave Thomas asked CRTC what was Canadian Content & took all that A step further....Thus the birth of the MacKenzie Bros!
I think the Great White North set was more of an inside joke to the SCTV crew..But we all loved it!
Citizens of Mellonville miss Bob & Doug!

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/09 at 6:39 pm

I've been watching episodes of this.  Both Thomas and Moranis executive produce the series, but I was a little disappointed to learn Moranis would not be voicing Bob.  Instead, they got Dave Coulier.  And of course, nothing says Hoser quite like Joey Gladstone LOL

Written By: Frank on 05/03/09 at 12:55 am

I've been watching episodes of this.  Both Thomas and Moranis executive produce the series, but I was a little disappointed to learn Moranis would not be voicing Bob.  Instead, they got Dave Coulier.  And of course, nothing says Hoser quite like Joey Gladstone LOL

Wasn't aware that Rick Moranis wasn't doing the voice of Bob. (I haven't watched it yet either). I loved their act. They were great! SCTV never got due recognition. Some of the skits were hilarious!

Check for new replies or respond here...