inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s Rush Songs

Written By: Atari on 05/05/08 at 4:38 am

I used as many singles as I could find, as well as any album tracks that were released as videos. This may be a bit of an obscure poll, as Rush seems to be one of those bands you either love or hate, but there you have it.

My votes are Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, and Vital Signs. My favorite stuff is from Moving Pictures, Signals, and Grace Under Pressure, but I also like a lot of album tracks from all of their albums, 80s or otherwise.

Subject: Re: 80s Rush Songs

Written By: cinnabon on 05/05/08 at 5:23 am

I voted for Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions and New World Man  :)

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/08 at 6:54 am

I only like 'Subdivisions'

Here are their 80s mainstream hits (they had further success in the rock chart) for North America and the UK ...

1980 - The Spirit of Radio
1980 - Entre Nous
1981 - Vital Signs / A Passage to Bangkok <AA Side>
1981 - Limelight
1981 - Tom Sawyer
1982 - New World Man
1982 - Countdown / New World Man <AA Side>
1982 - Closer to the Heart <Live>
1983 - Subdivisions
1984 - The Body Electric
1985 - The Big Money
1987 - Time Stand Still
1988 - Prime Mover

'The Pass' and further singles from their 1989 album 'Presto' didn't hit the charts until 1990

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/05/08 at 8:09 am

I voted for "Spirit of Radio", "Subdivisions" and  "New World Man"

My all-time favorite Rush song though, is "Digital Man" which is on Signals.

Written By: Atari on 05/05/08 at 9:17 am

I voted for "Spirit of Radio", "Subdivisions" and  "New World Man"

My all-time favorite Rush song though, is "Digital Man" which is on Signals.

Oh man. What a great song. The stylistic changes in that song are... wow...

That whole album just rules. I think it was their most eclectic album to date, covering a wide range of styles, yet remaining distinctly Rush. I also think it was the last album for some time that had complete focus on what the band wanted to accomplish. It's as good as Moving Pictures, but in a different way.

Written By: KKay on 05/05/08 at 9:17 am

Subdivisions
New World Man
Distant Early Warning

These are my choices.  They were the most popular when i was a teen.

Written By: Atari on 05/05/08 at 9:21 am

'The Pass' and further singles from their 1989 album 'Presto' didn't hit the charts until 1990

Yeah I was aware of that, but was basically going by the album release dates rather than single dates.

Thanks for the info. These polls can be a bit lacking sometimes, as certain bands (like Rush) released singles that didn't go very far and were probably unknown by many (including me, who lost interest in the band for a while).

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/05/08 at 9:34 am

Oh man. What a great song. The stylistic changes in that song are... wow...

That whole album just rules. I think it was their most eclectic album to date, covering a wide range of styles, yet remaining distinctly Rush. I also think it was the last album for some time that had complete focus on what the band wanted to accomplish. It's as good as Moving Pictures, but in a different way.

Agreed on all points and karma.

Written By: dmfan420 on 05/05/08 at 10:02 am

I picked The Body Electric.

I saw them on the Grace Under Pressure tour, it was frikin AMAZING. Although Moving Pictures is pretty much the soundtrack to 8th grade  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/08 at 10:32 am

Some Geddy Lee facts ...

♦ In 1981, he appeared with Bob and Doug MacKenzie on their hit single 'Take Off'. 

♦ In 1983, he produced the self-titled debut album by the Canadian group Boys Brigade.  They had a Top 40 hit in Canada called Melody and a video hit called The Passion of Love

♦ In 1985, he joined his fellow Canadians under the assumed name Northern Lights for the charity single Tears Are Not Enough.  It topped the chart in Canada and appears on the historic 'We Are the World' album

Written By: ninny on 05/05/08 at 11:02 am

I voted for Tom Sawyer...Limelight and Time Stand Still.....I would of liked to voted for several others :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/05/08 at 7:33 pm

Tom Sawyer

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/05/08 at 7:39 pm

"The Spirit of Radio" and "Subdivisions".

Written By: midnite on 05/05/08 at 8:24 pm

I used to love Rush!  They are still good, but I played their stuff out when I was younger.  My favorites from the 80's are:

The Camera Eye / Witch Hunt - From Moving Pictures.   The "darker" second half of the CD.
Subdivisions / Count Down - From Signals
Emotion Detector / Mystic Rhythms - From Power Windows
Time Stand Still / Open Secrets - From Hold Your Fire

You list alot of great songs, but you missed "Emotion Detector" from Power Windows!!  Great Song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUkaMT_qFcM

Written By: Davester on 05/05/08 at 8:48 pm

Rush's 80s offerings are sketchy, IMO.  Loved 'Moving Pictures' well enough but everything after...ugh...and Signals was just a waste...

Spirit of Radio and Freewill from Permanent Waves.  Then = Tom Sawyer.  Now = Witch Hunt from Moving Pictures.  Tom Sawyer is played waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much on the radio...

Written By: Atari on 05/05/08 at 10:40 pm

I used to love Rush!  They are still good, but I played their stuff out when I was younger.  My favorites from the 80's are:

The Camera Eye / Witch Hunt - From Moving Pictures.   The "darker" second half of the CD.
Subdivisions / Count Down - From Signals
Emotion Detector / Mystic Rhythms - From Power Windows
Time Stand Still / Open Secrets - From Hold Your Fire

You list alot of great songs, but you missed "Emotion Detector" from Power Windows!!  Great Song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUkaMT_qFcM

Yeah... I considered adding that song, but the poll would have gotten way out of hand if I added every song I liked. I really dig that song too. It's my second favorite song from Power Windows (after Middletown Dreams).

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/06/08 at 12:07 am

Spirit of Radio -- as inspired by CFNY 102.1's "Working on the Radio".
Tom Sawyer -- because his mind was not for rent, to any God or Government.
Other -- a tie between "Anthem" and "The Trees"

Live for yourself, there's no one else
More worth living for.
Begging hands and bleeding hearts
Will only cry out for more.
- Rush, Anthem, and you can google the lyrics for The Trees yourself. 

Rand didn't need an editor.  She needed a lyricist, a guitarist, and a drummer.  Rush was only 30 years too late.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/07/08 at 11:34 pm

"Spirit Of Radio" is one of my favorite rock songs of all time 8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/09/08 at 12:14 am

"Spirit Of Radio" is one of my favorite rock songs of all time 8)

Fine, make me Google it!  And transcribe the lyrics!  (And make me give you Karma for encouraging me to spread the word...)

Here's a link to an MP3 of CFNY's Streetband's Working on the Radio -- the original track that inspired Rush's Spirit of Radio. Rush's Permanent Waves was released in 1980, and the CFNY Streetband track came out in 1979.  Rush's lyrics might be a little (OK, they're a hell of a lot) more eloquent than Streetband's, but both tracks convey the same message, and the similarities between the guitar riffs are unmistakable.

It not only stands up over the past 29 years because it contained the guitar riff that inspired one of Rush's all-time greatest tracks, it stands up because it was a Canadian radio station (CFNY 102.1) broadcasting it, but because being safely across the border, the American FCC couldn't stop them Canucks from saying George Carlin's Seventh Deadliest Word on the air, even in prime time, and no matter how much of the signal leaked across the border. 

Lyrics: 102.1 CFNY Streetband, Workin' on the Radio

We're progressive FM,
You can't call us mainstream.
The only real radio,
Versus the Big Machine.

Those little whispers
Start to shake the floor,
And the noise can be heard
From the corporate doors...

((Guitars break in))

Excuse me for mentioning,
But there's people here!
And people out there,
With people ears.

I'm lookin' for a record,
And talkin' on the phone.
And I ain't your average
Radio clone!

I'm an FM jock and I play 'em as I see!
There ain't no strings pullin' on me!

((Guitars continue))

NY's my station,
We're the only one.
We don't make much money,
But we sure have fun!

We won't play a record,
Just because it's a hit.
But we love new wave,
And those punk girls' tits!

Stop the surveys and computerized sweeps,
Shove the Billboard charts in the back seat!

((And if you haven't figured it out, this is the guitar riff that inspired Rush's Spirit of Radio here))

We get free records and tickets to the shows,
Just a couple of perks, for workin' on... the radio....
Workin' on the radio.
Workin' on the radio.
I'm workin' on the radio.
I'm workin' on the... radio.

((And if you don't recognize the guitar by now, you've never heard anything Rush ever did :) ))

Aaw, workin' on the radio.
I'm workin' on...
I'm workin' on the radio...

((...and another glorious minute of prescient guitar genius...))

Yeah, workin' on the radio...

(( Repeat/fade out ))

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/09/08 at 9:39 am

"...ti*s shouldn't even be on the list"  :)

Written By: Tia on 05/09/08 at 10:07 am

rand needed a clue.  ;D

when did villa strangiato come out?

Written By: RUSH Fan on 05/09/08 at 12:18 pm

Digital Man absolutely rocks!

They are doing it on this tour (S&A tour, now on its second leg) it's the second song of the set, saw them last Sep. at ACC, going again this summer at the Amphitheater...RUSH Still rocking hard after all these years...awesome!

Written By: RUSH Fan on 05/09/08 at 12:28 pm

rand needed a clue.  ;D

when did villa strangiato come out?

La Villa came out in '78 on the Hemispheres Album, another fantastic instrumental from the masters.

Written By: RUSH Fan on 05/09/08 at 12:37 pm

Fine, make me Google it!  And transcribe the lyrics!  (And make me give you Karma for encouraging me to spread the word...)

Here's a link to an MP3 of CFNY's Streetband's Working on the Radio -- the original track that inspired Rush's Spirit of Radio. Rush's Permanent Waves was released in 1980, and the CFNY Streetband track came out in 1979.  Rush's lyrics might be a little (OK, they're a hell of a lot) more eloquent than Streetband's, but both tracks convey the same message, and the similarities between the guitar riffs are unmistakable.

It not only stands up over the past 29 years because it contained the guitar riff that inspired one of Rush's all-time greatest tracks, it stands up because it was a Canadian radio station (CFNY 102.1) broadcasting it, but because being safely across the border, the American FCC couldn't stop them Canucks from saying George Carlin's Seventh Deadliest Word on the air, even in prime time, and no matter how much of the signal leaked across the border. 

Lyrics: 102.1 CFNY Streetband, Workin' on the Radio

We're progressive FM,
You can't call us mainstream.
The only real radio,
Versus the Big Machine.

Those little whispers
Start to shake the floor,
And the noise can be heard
From the corporate doors...

((Guitars break in))

Excuse me for mentioning,
But there's people here!
And people out there,
With people ears.

I'm lookin' for a record,
And talkin' on the phone.
And I ain't your average
Radio clone!

I'm an FM jock and I play 'em as I see!
There ain't no strings pullin' on me!

((Guitars continue))

NY's my station,
We're the only one.
We don't make much money,
But we sure have fun!

We won't play a record,
Just because it's a hit.
But we love new wave,
And those punk girls' tits!

Stop the surveys and computerized sweeps,
Shove the Billboard charts in the back seat!

((And if you haven't figured it out, this is the guitar riff that inspired Rush's Spirit of Radio here))

We get free records and tickets to the shows,
Just a couple of perks, for workin' on... the radio....
Workin' on the radio.
Workin' on the radio.
I'm workin' on the radio.
I'm workin' on the... radio.

((And if you don't recognize the guitar by now, you've never heard anything Rush ever did :) ))

Aaw, workin' on the radio.
I'm workin' on...
I'm workin' on the radio...

((...and another glorious minute of prescient guitar genius...))

Yeah, workin' on the radio...

(( Repeat/fade out ))

Thanks for posting that link, The Spirit Of Radio is truly one of the all time classics, still stands the test of time, never get tired of that one. Also the first RUSH tour I saw was Permanent Waves so maybe that has something to do with it? It's just timeless rock. ANd they're still doing that one live also

Written By: RUSH Fan on 05/09/08 at 12:46 pm

Yeah... I considered adding that song, but the poll would have gotten way out of hand if I added every song I liked. I really dig that song too. It's my second favorite song from Power Windows (after Middletown Dreams).

I must be older than you guys are, I was starting to drift away from RUSH around that album, although I still think Big Money is an excellent track, funny how they had songs 25 years ago that are appropriate commentaries on the time we live in now, e.g. - Big Money, Digital man, Witch Hunt, etc... Just wait one day there will be a "Motor Law" and you'll have to "elude the eyes" to go into the country to commit a "crime" of driving a gas powered car a la Red Barchetta, but I digress.

Now I am back "into" RUSH especially their latest album "Snakes & Arrows" which is a return to their older style of music that I loved so much, and the boy's now in their mid 50's are still touring and putting on an incredible show.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/09/08 at 1:18 pm

Digital Man absolutely rocks!

They are doing it on this tour (S&A tour, now on its second leg) it's the second song of the set, saw them last Sep. at ACC, going again this summer at the Amphitheater...RUSH Still rocking hard after all these years...awesome!

I'm jealous.  I haven't seen them in years (and I've never seen them perform Digital Man.  Have a great time.

Written By: RUSH Fan on 05/09/08 at 1:32 pm

I'm jealous.  I haven't seen them in years (and I've never seen them perform Digital Man.  Have a great time.

Thanks very much, I also had not seen them in years, the last tour I saw was the Counterparts tour in '94 (First was Permanent Waves in early 1980). Then I did not see them again until '04 on their R30 tour, now on this S&A tour, I saw the first leg at the ACC in Sep, and now the second leg at the Amphitheater this July.
If you are in the Toronto area you really should go see them, there are still tickets available. I got out of RUSH for a while but now back into them, new album is great, the old time fans (like me) are really digging this new album. If you can manage to make it, don't let this opportunity pass you by, you will not be disappointed I guarantee.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/09/08 at 2:38 pm

Thanks very much, I also had not seen them in years, the last tour I saw was the Counterparts tour in '94 (First was Permanent Waves in early 1980). Then I did not see them again until '04 on their R30 tour, now on this S&A tour, I saw the first leg at the ACC in Sep, and now the second leg at the Amphitheater this July.
If you are in the Toronto area you really should go see them, there are still tickets available. I got out of RUSH for a while but now back into them, new album is great, the old time fans (like me) are really digging this new album. If you can manage to make it, don't let this opportunity pass you by, you will not be disappointed I guarantee.

The last time I saw them was Roll The Bones at the Garden - it was awesome!

Written By: RUSH Fan on 05/09/08 at 3:23 pm

The last time I saw them was Roll The Bones at the Garden - it was awesome!

I was there for that one too! That was what? 17 years ago? You gotta see them this summer! Just do it!

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/12/08 at 6:10 am

Spirit of Radio
This song has personal resons as it was about radio station CFNY , Brampton , Ontario Canada!!
The Spirit of Radio 102.1  (now edge102)

Written by Neil Peart in 1979, recorded by Rush, inspired by CFNY:

As for The Spirit of Radio – it was written about CFNY and all that we stood for - I was told that by the band and management before the album was released. At that time Rush and their manager discussed with me that there would be no reference officially to CFNY as it could stop other radio stations from playing the track. As a fan and supporter of Rush I agreed that would be the best plan. If you still have a vinyl disc you will find that in the centre grooves you will find the album master number is 1021. - David Marsden, August 2001

Begin the day
    With a friendly voice,
    A companion unobtrusive
    Plays the song that's so elusive
    And the magic music makes your morning mood.

Off on your way
    Hit the open road,
    There's magic at your fingers
    For the Spirit ever lingers,
    Undemanding contact
    In your happy solitude.

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
    Bright antenna bristle with the energy
    Emotional feedback
    On a timeless wavelength
    Bearing a gift beyond price
    Almost free

All this machinery making modern music
    Can still be open-hearted
    Not so coldly charted,
    It's really just a question
    Of your honesty

One likes to believe
    in the freedom of music,
    But glittering prizes
    And endless compromises
    Shatter the illusion
    Of integrity.

For the words of the profits
    Are written on the studio wall,
    Concert hall --
    Echoes with the sounds...
    Of salesmen.
http://www.spiritofradio.ca/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/1190129367b36175/

Written By: Atari on 05/12/08 at 6:22 am

I was there for that one too! That was what? 17 years ago? You gotta see them this summer! Just do it!

I saw them in Tampa with Mr. Big back in 1989 during the Presto tour, and in '97 (I think) during Test For Echo. Just incredible. Geddy's dryers in the background crack me up. He plugs directly into the PA now, so he doesn't need huge amp stacks anymore. He said in an interview that he likes the dryers for their "clean sound". Hahhaha!

Written By: RUSH Fan on 05/12/08 at 12:32 pm

I saw them in Tampa with Mr. Big back in 1989 during the Presto tour, and in '97 (I think) during Test For Echo. Just incredible. Geddy's dryers in the background crack me up. He plugs directly into the PA now, so he doesn't need huge amp stacks anymore. He said in an interview that he likes the dryers for their "clean sound". Hahhaha!

Have you seen his latest set-up, he has 3 Chicken roasters with... roasting chickens of course. He calls it the Hen House, and he's still got the sense of humour, this time he's saying the roaster give him a "warmer" sound... go see them again if you can, still a great show

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/13/08 at 11:43 pm

I must be older than you guys are, I was starting to drift away from RUSH around that album, although I still think Big Money is an excellent track, funny how they had songs 25 years ago that are appropriate commentaries on the time we live in now, e.g. - Big Money, Digital man, Witch Hunt, etc... Just wait one day there will be a "Motor Law" and you'll have to "elude the eyes" to go into the country to commit a "crime" of driving a gas powered car a la Red Barchetta, but I digress.

Rush's Red Barchetta was inspired by a 1973 short story by A Nice Morning Drive by Richard Foster, as published in Car and Driver.

The song (or the story) were probably the inspiration for The Last Chase, an 1981 movie featuring Lee Majors as a race car driver, hauling ass from Boston to the Free State of California, being chased by Burgess Meredith in an F-86 sabre jet.  Or maybe not.  The movie came out within months of Rush's Moving Pictures album (but both the album and the movie must have taken months of work).  Perhaps both were inspired from the Malaise of the Jimmy Carter years, and the timing was just a coincidence.

In any case, even at $4/gallon and rising, both the album and the movie are still good excuses to take a nice morning drive. 

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/14/08 at 2:52 am

There a great band to see
Back in the 80s They used to do a back to back show with Max Webster at Maple Leaf Gardens
every New Years!.Rush stopped appearing & Max took over for a while....Those New years were the best!
& probably the only real entertainment under the gardens roof!The Air was certainly intoxicating! 8)

Written By: Atari on 05/14/08 at 6:55 am

Rush's Red Barchetta was inspired by a 1973 short story by A Nice Morning Drive by Richard Foster, as published in Car and Driver.

The song (or the story) were probably the inspiration for The Last Chase, an 1981 movie featuring Lee Majors as a race car driver, hauling ass from Boston to the Free State of California, being chased by Burgess Meredith in an F-86 sabre jet.   Or maybe not.  The movie came out within months of Rush's Moving Pictures album (but both the album and the movie must have taken months of work).  Perhaps both were inspired from the Malaise of the Jimmy Carter years, and the timing was just a coincidence.

In any case, even at $4/gallon and rising, both the album and the movie are still good excuses to take a nice morning drive.   

From Wikipedia:

"The song was inspired by the futuristic short story "A Nice Morning Drive", written by Richard Foster and published in the November, 1973 issue of the magazine Road and Track. The story describes a similar future in which increasingly-stringent safety regulations have forced cars to evolve into massive "Modern Safety Vehicles" (MSVs), capable of withstanding a 50-mile-per-hour impact without injury to the driver. Consequently, drivers of MSVs have become less safety-conscious and more aggressive, and "bouncing" (intentionally ramming) the older, smaller cars is a common sport among some.
Rush lyricist Neil Peart made several attempts to contact Foster while working on the album, but Road and Track did not have an up-to-date address, and Rush were forced to settle for a brief "Inspired by" note in the lyric sheet mentioning the story. In July of 2007, Foster and Peart finally made contact with one another; Foster later posted an online account of their journey by motorcycle through the backwoods of West Virginia between stops on Rush's Snakes and Arrows tour."

Written By: RUSH Fan on 05/14/08 at 1:19 pm

I guess you've all heard the sad news by now, that John Rutsey the original drummer for RUSH has passed away. He was with them from their formation in'68 through to the their first release: RUSH. A truly classic rock album, I've pulled out my original vinyl of that album and played it in tribute to him, what a great album that is, and without him the band may never have been.

R.I.P. John

Written By: whistledog on 05/14/08 at 8:12 pm

I haven't fully researched their other hits (yet), but just for a teaser ...

Rush's first ever hit in Canada was 'Not Fade Away' in 1973 and their first ever Top 40 hit in Canada was 'In the Mood' in 1975.  Their first ever US hit was 'Closer to the Heart' in 1977 (US #76) and was their only chart appearance in the Billboard Hot 100 during the 1970s

Subject: 80s Rush Songs

Written By: Dude111 on 02/25/18 at 7:21 am

I picked

The Spirit Of Radio
Freewill
Tom Sawyer

Written By: Howard on 02/26/18 at 5:18 am

Tom Sawyer

Check for new replies or respond here...