inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: St. Elmo's Fire

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/05/08 at 4:27 pm

What do you all think of this movie?  I just watched it today for the first time.  Can't quite decide if I liked it...

Subject: Re: St. Elmo's Fire

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/05/08 at 5:43 pm

Never seen it actually (even though I like the Brat Pack and their other movies), but I love the theme song. Just one of those energetic pop/arena rock songs that makes you feel good. It reminds me of when I was 12 'cause that's when I first heard it (around 1994).

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/08 at 5:47 pm

I thought it was a good movie, but I loved the soundtrack so much more.  Both 'Love Theme From St. Elmo's Fire' by David Foster and 'St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)' by John Parr were popular.

Another song from the film, 'If I Turn You Away' by Vikki Moss was also popular in Canada.  I remember it very well and I still love it!

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/05/08 at 7:37 pm

I really liked this movie and the soundtrack very much. I watched this movie for the first time in quite a while last month.

Written By: midnite on 05/05/08 at 9:00 pm

Who is Saint Elmo and why did he make a fire?

Written By: Davester on 05/05/08 at 9:06 pm

I rented this about ten years ago.  It's pretty bad.  I remember, in 85, people were expecting Breakfast Club part deux.  Psyche..!

The Love Theme got bookoo airplay back then and I always liked the sax in that song.  Hmm, now that I think of it I actually owned the soundtrack...  

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/08 at 5:44 pm

I thought it was a good movie, but I loved the soundtrack so much more.  Both 'Love Theme From St. Elmo's Fire' by David Foster and 'St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)' by John Parr were popular.

'St Elmo's Fire (man in motion)' by John Parr was the best thing about that movie.

Another song from the film, 'If I Turn You Away' by Vikki Moss was also popular in Canada.  I remember it very well and I still love it!

I just recently downloaded 'If I turn you away' after checking out some 80s internet websites. Great track. :)

Written By: malibumike65 on 05/07/08 at 6:28 pm

I was working as a radio announcer when these songs came out, and all 3 songs were very popular here. In fact, I think I remember Vicki Moss was dating Wayne Gretsky around the same time. It's funny to watch the movie now, and realize that Demi Moore's husband was only 6 or 7 years old at the time. :o ;D

Written By: Atari on 05/08/08 at 6:51 am

The movie was way too "yuppie" for me. Demi Moore's character was wayyyy obnoxious, and every other character was too stereotypical for me. Plus it was way too serious and lifeless for a brat-pack movie. Blah.

I guess the same could be said for Breakfast Club's characters, but the comedy elements of that movie made it great.

Written By: KKay on 05/08/08 at 6:56 am

It's not a good movie...but having been in college when it came out, everyone watched it, discussed it, lived the soundtrack.  it does contain some classic lines...

Alec: You're being arrested for drunk driving.
Billy: Drunk definitely, I don't know if you could call it driving.
Jules: Don't you enjoy anything anymore... like girls?
Kevin: I enjoy being afraid of Russia. It's a harmless fear, but it makes America feel better, Russia gets an inflated sense of national worth from our paranoia. How's that?

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/08/08 at 1:24 pm

something about this movie has had a lingering effect on me... it's kinda put me in a funny mood all week.  weird, huh?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/15/09 at 5:58 pm

Just rewatched it on DVD, today. At first, I didn't like the movie, when I first saw it, but now I think that's a ok film.

Written By: whistledog on 11/15/09 at 6:12 pm

I have it on Blu-Ray.  It is still a classic film.  I love how the Blu-Ray (and DVD version) includes the John Parr music video. 

It should've also had the videos for 'If I Turn You Away' by Vikki Moss and 'Love Theme from ..' by David Foster, but I don't think those songs had music videos.  If they did, I've never seen them

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/15/09 at 6:26 pm

I have it on Blu-Ray.  It is still a classic film.  I love how the Blu-Ray (and DVD version) includes the John Parr music video. 

It should've also had the videos for 'If I Turn You Away' by Vikki Moss and 'Love Theme from ..' by David Foster, but I don't think those songs had music videos.  If they did, I've never seen them

One of them did, good luck finding it, though.

Written By: Frank on 11/15/09 at 6:29 pm

It's a great film to watch. We saw it in University when it came out, just like the movie, I was hanging around a bunch of friends at that time ( same # as the people in the film) and after seeing the movie, we had a long discussion as to which of us resembled (in personality) to a character in the film.

Great cult film to watch, and some nice music to add

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/15/09 at 7:19 pm

I have this filmn on DVD. I think it's the best film I've seen Demi Moore in. It was pretty good.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/17/09 at 3:08 pm

I liked the movie, but I didn't love it.  :o

It was one of the movies that was soooooooooo 80's if you know what I mean.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/17/09 at 3:10 pm

The Gen-X answer to The Big Chill.  Basically, preppie-cum-yuppie pap.  No other movie did a bigger disservice to any shred of authenticity my generation might have had.  "She's Having a Baby" and "Less Than Zero" were rivals for the title, but didn't surpass St. Elmo's!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/angry2.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/17/09 at 3:15 pm

Who is Saint Elmo and why did he make a fire?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elmo%27s_fire

Not to be confused with St. Anthony's Fire --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergotism

Brian Eno has an awesome song on his 1975 album "Another Green World"  called "St. Elmo's Fire."

Written By: 80sfan on 11/17/09 at 3:29 pm

The Gen-X answer to The Big Chill.  Basically, preppie-cum-yuppie pap.  No other movie did a bigger disservice to any shred of authenticity my generation might have had.  "She's Having a Baby" and "Less Than Zero" were rivals for the title, but didn't surpass St. Elmo's!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/angry2.gif

I just watched the trailer for She's having a baby and Less Than Zero on Youtube and both films seem very materialistic! Is that why you hate them so?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/17/09 at 9:45 pm

I just watched the trailer for She's having a baby and Less Than Zero on Youtube and both films seem very materialistic! Is that why you hate them so?

Not for being materialistic so much as just, you know, crap!

Actually, "Less Than Zero" did contain a trenchant message about drug addiction, but it got lost underneath how rich and good-looking everybody was and all their mansions and hot sports cars!

It is ironic that Robert Downey, Jr., played Julian the dope addict.  Fortunately, Robert Downey didn't end up quite as bad off as the character he played. 

Anyway, I've known dope addicts, and when they're as bad off as "Julian," they don't look like Julian anymore....

::)

Written By: robin on 11/21/09 at 3:34 am

The Gen-X answer to The Big Chill.

St. Elmo's Fire was not Gen X....it was the generation that came before Gen X.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/21/09 at 1:04 pm

St. Elmo's Fire was not Gen X....it was the generation that came before Gen X.

The characters seemed to be about my oldest sister's age (she was born in 1963), or perhaps a little older.  That does put them in on the tail end of the Baby Boomers.  Even if they fell in the same parameters of Boomer years, there was an appreciable difference between people born between 1959 and 1964 and 1945 and 1949, which was more the age The Big Chill was celebrating. 

My own parents were born at the end of the Silent Generation (1940 and 1941), but they shared more in common with the Boomers than people born in 1930.  I think that applies to people born in the early 1960s in re Gen-X. 

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/25/09 at 7:52 am

That movie was very heartwarming and funny at the same time. I didn't get to watch it till I saw it on TV a long time ago. At the time, I had an immense crush on Emilio Estevez. I love his role as Kirby where he tries to woo a woman older than he is (played by Andie MacDowell).

Written By: lola669 on 12/28/09 at 12:21 am

I've never seen it!! :o :o

Written By: KKay on 12/30/09 at 7:24 pm

I can't believe how many times we watched that.  what year was it? 1985...I was a sophomore in college and just thr right age for it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/30/09 at 8:01 pm

Finally gotten it on DVD, awhile back.

Written By: Starde on 01/01/10 at 3:11 pm

Bought it on DVD about 2 years ago and I absolutely loved it! I got the love theme on my iPod and enjoy listening to it from time to time. ;D

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/03/11 at 1:08 pm

This movie is in my groin

Written By: Midas on 05/03/11 at 8:25 pm

This movie is in my groin

That's gotta hoit!

Written By: ralfy on 10/27/15 at 4:32 pm

"St. Elmo's Fire turns 30: A look back at the Brat Pack"

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/28/st-elmos-fire-turns-30-a-look-back-at-the-brat-pack

Written By: Redhairkid on 11/17/15 at 10:52 am

Have never seen it and wouldn't watch it anyway because I can't stand Demi Moore. Love the John Parr song though. It reminds me of that great classic from another blond John - 'You're The Voice' by John Farnham.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/22/15 at 6:59 pm

I loved St. Elmo's actually. I liked how glam Demi looked.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ea/41/a2/ea41a2ad6c38296ae635ba442d9afd23.jpg

I could do this--without the cancer stick, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...