inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1980's Born Kids Now a Major Force in the Arts, Sports and Academia

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/06/08 at 1:04 pm

I was just thinking that right now is the time for kids who were born in the '80s to be a major influence on younger kids these days. We're seeing more and more acts and celebrities becoming major stars who happened to be born in the '80s. Here are just a few:

Danica Patrick (1st Woman to win an Indy Car Race)
Rihanna
Jordin Sparks
Natalie Portman
Paris Hilton
Jessica Alba
Prince William
Prince Harry
Kelly Clarkson
Seth Rogen
Ryan Gosling
Christina Aguilera
Scarlett Johannson
Beyonce Knowles
Jenna Bush
Britney Spears
Justin Timberlake

and more...

Now that I look back on it, a lot of movie stars that I watched when young were mostly born in the '60s. Now, they're in the 40's (heading into '50s) but I always associate them with the era I grew up in. Kids today may associate '80s born kids in the same way. It will be interesting how that will play out.

Subject: Re: 1980's Born Kids Now a Major Force in the Arts, Sports and Academia

Written By: Paul on 05/06/08 at 2:05 pm

...a major influence on younger kids these days.

Britney Spears

Gawd help us all!

Also, the 'talented' Amy Sh*theouse belongs in this list...

Gawd help us all, indeed!

Subject: Re: 1980's Born Kids Now a Major Force in the Arts, Sports and Academia

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/06/08 at 2:43 pm

Gawd help us all!

We're not all that bad, eh?  ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 05/06/08 at 2:50 pm

Paris Hilton....  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/08 at 5:42 pm

Gawd help us all!

I'm sure that's what the World War generations said too, lol.

'Kids were not like this in our day, Mildred'.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/06/08 at 5:54 pm

I wouldn't boast. The majority of them are contributing negatively to pop culture, unfortunately.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/06/08 at 6:37 pm

I wouldn't boast. The majority of them are contributing negatively to pop culture, unfortunately.

I'm not really boasting. But, unfortunately some have made the lot of us look bad. I guess we're looked at as a joke as of now, eh? But, wait until we start to run the country  ;D

Written By: woops on 05/07/08 at 12:39 am

Ashley Tisdale... though she still consider hersef a kid (stated in an old interview)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/07/08 at 6:11 pm

Now that I look back on it, a lot of movie stars that I watched when young were mostly born in the '60s. Now, they're in the 40's (heading into '50s) but I always associate them with the era I grew up in. Kids today may associate '80s born kids in the same way. It will be interesting how that will play out.

I've thought about that too. I was born in the '80s, so it is kinda strange to think about people my age taking our place among "the adults" so to speak. It will be interesting to watch over the next two decades or so as people born in the '70s and '80s start to join people born in the '60s and before as the "establishment".

As far off as that might sound it's really not. In the next decade '70s borns will be turning 40, and '80s borns will be turning 30.

Written By: midnite on 05/07/08 at 6:14 pm

I was just thinking that right now is the time for kids who were born in the '80s to be a major influence on younger kids these days. We're seeing more and more acts and celebrities becoming major stars who happened to be born in the '80s. Here are just a few:

Danica Patrick (1st Woman to win an Indy Car Race)
Rihanna
Jordin Sparks
Natalie Portman
Paris Hilton
Jessica Alba
Prince William
Prince Harry
Kelly Clarkson
Seth Rogen
Ryan Gosling
Christina Aguilera
Scarlett Johannson
Beyonce Knowles
Jenna Bush
Britney Spears
Justin Timberlake

Ummm. This is common sense.  Kids of the 80s are a foce now, like kids of the 70s were a force ten years ago, and kids of the 90s will be a force in ten years.  These people are in their 20's.  America adores youth and the "force" will continue to be people in their 20's.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/07/08 at 6:33 pm

I'm not really boasting. But, unfortunately some have made the lot of us look bad. I guess we're looked at as a joke as of now, eh? But, wait until we start to run the country  ;D

That's the sad part  8-P :(

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/08/08 at 7:26 pm

That's the sad part  8-P :(

Well, I guess I'm a bit of an optimist. I doubt we'll have people like Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie running our country. There are some very brilliant kids from this decade that will and may bring our country forward.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/08/08 at 7:27 pm

Ummm. This is common sense.  Kids of the 80s are a foce now, like kids of the 70s were a force ten years ago, and kids of the 90s will be a force in ten years.  These people are in their 20's.  America adores youth and the "force" will continue to be people in their 20's.

It is, but it's just an observation, too.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/08/08 at 7:28 pm

I've thought about that too. I was born in the '80s, so it is kinda strange to think about people my age taking our place among "the adults" so to speak. It will be interesting to watch over the next two decades or so as people born in the '70s and '80s start to join people born in the '60s and before as the "establishment".

As far off as that might sound it's really not. In the next decade '70s borns will be turning 40, and '80s borns will be turning 30.

Yes, I think we're on the same page. Mostly everyone else has taken what I've written a bit too seriously.  :(

Written By: Davester on 05/09/08 at 10:09 am

It's likely because of sheer numbers alone.  A major demographic, 75-80 million people (almost one-third of the population of the US), cut that in half for the 60s-70s born folks.  They're bound to have a major influence on the arts, sports and acadamia and the prime target of marketing.  I don't think you're wrong...

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/09/08 at 2:58 pm

If those are the people, then I can't wait until they're on their way out  ;D (actually, some of them are as we speak...**cough** Britney Spears **cough**  :D)

Hopefully us early 90's born kids will change things for the better (just like those born in the late 60's and early 40's)  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...