inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best 80's thrash band

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/08/08 at 6:17 am

I have to choose Metallica, they're one of the only bands that were in their prime in this decade (them, Venom, and Exodus) and they released ...And Justice for All in 1988. Many bands reached their prime in the early 90's (Megadeth and Slayer), though overall, encompassing all decades, I'd go with Megadeth.

Subject: Re: Best 80's thrash band

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/08 at 6:20 am

Metallica, not the true best but the only thrash band I can associate myself with.

Written By: Atari on 05/08/08 at 6:44 am

Testament. Kind of a tough choice, as I liked Anthrax at that time too. Had to go with the Bay Area Gods, though. All of their albums before The Ritual were classics.

I dug Metallica until ...And Justice... came out. Didn't care much for that album, but don't mind it so much now. I don't listen to much of that stuff these days, but when I do, it's usually Napalm Death :)

Written By: ninny on 05/08/08 at 6:47 am

Metallica, not the true best but the only thrash band I can associate myself with.

Same here.it's the only choice I listen to.

Written By: Gis on 05/09/08 at 4:48 pm

From this list Anthrax, though I did love Overkill............

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/26/08 at 11:26 pm

definitely Boy George and the Culture Club. Definitely. :)

Written By: whistledog on 06/26/08 at 11:29 pm

definitely Boy George and the Culture Club. Definitely. :)

They get my vote as well.  You would never really think of them as a thrash band, but man, songs like 'Karma Chameleon' and 'The War Song' rival that of any Metallica or Van Halen song.  Thrash metal as it's best! :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/26/08 at 11:32 pm

They get my vote as well.  You would never really think of them as a thrash band, but man, songs like 'Karma Chameleon' and 'The War Song' rival that of any Metallica or Van Halen song.  Thrash metal as it's best! :)

Yes..I would have to agree with that statement. Nothing says thrash metal than an ambiguous man and his gang.

Written By: Atari on 06/27/08 at 7:19 am

Oh I dunno. The Weather Girls were pretty heavy in the 80s. From what I hear, they're still heavy :)

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/27/08 at 8:12 am

Oh yes, I forgot that moderators can fudge with threads, I should've put this in the 90's section. Come on, couldn't you have picked something good? Why not Michael Jackson? Why not Prince? WHY NOT EVEN DURAN DURAN!? Culture Club is AWFUL. Jesus, Boy George's voice is like fingernails against a chalk board, and I swear Dr. Seuss wrote his lyrics.

Thrash = big, even though most bands refused to be on MTV and commercial radio wouldn't play them (they used something called TALENT to get where they are)

Boy George (and other 80's pop sheesh) = nowhere without MTV

Written By: Gis on 06/27/08 at 9:01 am

Maybe you should check out a musical called 'Taboo' before you make un-informed sweeping comments about Boy George and his talent like that. Also MTV didn't come to the U.K until 1987 so Culture Club managed to get 'somewhere' just fine without it.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/27/08 at 9:52 am

Maybe you should check out a musical called 'Taboo' before you make un-informed sweeping comments about Boy George and his talent like that. Also MTV didn't come to the U.K until 1987 so Culture Club managed to get 'somewhere' just fine without it.

Okay, fine. I'm sorry, you're right and I shouldn't have made that comment. But understand that when someone aggravates me like that I tend to let my anger get the best of me and I'll say stupid things like that as a result. I don't like Boy George, but I suppose I can respect him for being different and not caring about what others thought of him. Even if MTV truly did help him a lot here in America, I'll admit that some of his songs are kinda good on their own merit.

I'm sorry if I appeared ignorant and hypocritical, I'm not normally like that.

Written By: Gis on 06/27/08 at 10:11 am

Okay, fine. I'm sorry, you're right and I shouldn't have made that comment. But understand that when someone aggravates me like that I tend to let my anger get the best of me and I'll say stupid things like that as a result. I don't like Boy George, but I suppose I can respect him for being different and not caring about what others thought of him. Even if MTV truly did help him a lot here in America, I'll admit that some of his songs are kinda good on their own merit.

I'm sorry if I appeared ignorant and hypocritical, I'm not normally like that.
Apology accepted.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/08 at 7:32 pm

Calling 80s pop "sheesh" (no swearing allowed here, btw) is a biased opinion, one that alot of people might not take too lightly. 

I'm not out to aggrivate you or set you off on purpose, but bear in mind that when someone born after a certain decade was over comes along and makes speculations like the ones you do, you are bound to get people like me who will debate your posts

Believe me, I'm quite tame.  There are some people out there who would rip you a new asshole.  Lucky for you, I'm a nice guy ;)

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/27/08 at 7:59 pm

Calling 80s pop "sheesh" (no swearing allowed here, btw) is a biased opinion, one that alot of people might not take too lightly. 

I apologized for being so rash on a later post, so don't you think it's inappropriate to bring this up?

And I like Michael Jackson, Prince, nu-wave like Human League, and even some Bon Jovi, so THERE, NOW YOU SEE BOTH SIDES  ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/29/08 at 6:25 am

Megadeth.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/29/08 at 6:26 pm

I don't have much thrash metal listening experience, so I voted Testament. Metallica is good to and I like some of Megadeth's songs.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/08 at 1:28 am

I too disagree about Culture Club.  The time was just right for their kind of music: post-disco funk/Afro-Caribbean/Soul.  At least "Kissing to be Clever" and "Colour by Numbers" are great records.  After that the band was being pulled apart by early success, big money, and George's doping.  Boy George without a band as a producer act?  Didn't work out too well.  His voice is beautiful but not magical.  If he's not working with good material, he can't save it.
::)

Anyway...I said Slayer.

Written By: Davester on 06/30/08 at 1:34 am

Megadeth.  Fave album So Far, So Good, So What...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/08 at 1:37 am

Megadeth.  Fave album So Far, So Good, So What...

That was a good one!  Megadeth turned kinda lame in the '90s, tho'.

Written By: Davester on 06/30/08 at 1:47 am

That was a good one!  Megadeth turned kinda lame in the '90s, tho'.

That was a damn good one.  Even their cover of Anarchy in the UK, which has been done a million times, is my favorite...

I love Cryptic Writings ('97 I think).  A single from that album, Almost Honest, has to be the closest I've ever heard them come to a pop-metal song.  A curious thing... 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/20/08 at 7:58 pm

Megadeth.

Check for new replies or respond here...