inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Unsolved Mysteries

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/12/08 at 2:43 pm

What a cool, creepy show this was!  I always loved the stories about UFO's and ghosts.  There were too many cool ones to list, but I remember one in particular that really caught my attention.  It was a story of a Virgin Mary statue in a church that was crying.  I don't remember a lot of details, but I remember being totally intrigued by that as a kid.

Subject: Re: Unsolved Mysteries

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/08 at 2:50 pm

Which series was this, the one by Arthur C. Clarke or Patrick Macnee?

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/12/08 at 2:55 pm

Sorry, it was the TV show that aired in the US, hosted by Robert Stack

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Unsolved_Mysteries.gif

Written By: karen on 05/12/08 at 3:12 pm

Which series was this, the one by Arthur C. Clarke or Patrick Macnee?

It was Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World (I think).  It had a crystal skull at the beginning didn't it?

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/08 at 3:33 pm

You can get DVD best of sets that focus on psychics and miracles

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/12/08 at 3:40 pm

I used to LOVE this series.  I'd watch it every week (and when they started showing the reruns on the Lifetime channel several years later, I'd watch then too.)  The ones I liked best were the missing people/crime investigation.

Here is a few examples of the show on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2gFhMdgAsw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOq2pD1yTGU

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/12/08 at 4:28 pm

This was a great show, but it totally creeped me out, especially Robert Stack's voice. I used to love the ones about paranormal activity. It would always scare me when they would show a police drawing composite of a criminal..I don't know why but it was something about their scary mug staring at me through the TV screen..that kind of put me off.

I liked how they reenacted a lot of the crimes...that helped you understand what was going on concerning the mystery/crime.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/12/08 at 5:44 pm

I liked pretty much all the different kinds of stories, but especially the Wanted and Missing Persons...the Lost Loves and stuff from old decades were interesting too. Like when they'd interview a senior citizen in the (then) present, talking about something from when they were younger. Robert Stack was the man too, it's so sad he died. :(

Has anyone also noticed that the earlier shows up to 1994ish tended to be more dramatic and scarier? Something about the grainier film quality and the deeper stories. I also liked Stack's involvement on those. They changed it up and made it more "modernish" in the mid '90s, like with more casual stories (like Dolly the cloned sheep), more correspondants and the stories tended to not be quite as disturbing.

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/12/08 at 8:27 pm

I loved the feel of Unsolved Mysteries, and Robert Stack was the perfect host for this show. I watched this show nearly every week when it was on NBC and even when Lifetime showed the reruns.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/08 at 2:13 am

It was Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World (I think).  It had a crystal skull at the beginning didn't it?
When I said Patrick MacNee, it was Robert Stack I meant.

Written By: KKay on 05/13/08 at 8:24 am

I really did love that show and watched it religiously.  I dig all that stuff about ghosts and ufos....but wasn't almost every episode about the Bermuda Triangle?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/08 at 8:25 am

... wasn't almost every episode about the Bermuda Triangle?
Of which the Bermuda Triangle has been totally discounted now?

Written By: KKay on 05/13/08 at 8:26 am

Of which the Bermuda Triangle has been totally discounted now?

unsure...you don't hear much lately.  but in the late 70s EVERYTHING was blamed on the triangle.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/13/08 at 10:12 am

unsure...you don't hear much lately.  but in the late 70s EVERYTHING was blamed on the triangle.

I think I blamed it for my gaining weight one year back then.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/08 at 10:21 am

From Wikipedia Bermuda Triangle:

"Lawrence David Kusche, a research librarian from Arizona State University and author of The Bermuda Triangle Mystery: Solved (1975) has challenged this trend. Kusche's research revealed a number of inaccuracies and inconsistencies between Berlitz's accounts and statements from eyewitnesses, participants, and others involved in the initial incidents. He noted cases where pertinent information went unreported, such as the disappearance of round-the-world yachtsman Donald Crowhurst, which Berlitz had presented as a mystery, despite clear evidence to the contrary. Another example was the ore-carrier Berlitz recounted as lost without trace three days out of an Atlantic port when it had been lost three days out of a port with the same name in the Pacific Ocean. Kusche also argued that a large percentage of the incidents which have sparked the Triangle's mysterious influence actually occurred well outside it. Often his research was surprisingly simple: he would go over period newspapers and see items like weather reports that were never mentioned in the stories.

Kusche came to several conclusions:

The number of ships and aircraft reported missing in the area was not significantly greater, proportionally speaking, than in any other part of the ocean.
In an area frequented by tropical storms, the number of disappearances that did occur were, for the most part, neither disproportionate, unlikely, nor mysterious; furthermore, Berlitz and other writers would often fail to mention such storms.
The numbers themselves had been exaggerated by sloppy research. A boat listed as missing would be reported, but its eventual (if belated) return to port may not be reported.
Some disappearances had in fact, never happened. One plane crash was said to have taken place in 1937 off Daytona Beach, Florida, in front of hundreds of witnesses; a check of the local papers revealed nothing.
Kusche concluded that:

The Legend of the Bermuda Triangle is a manufactured mystery… perpetuated by writers who either purposely or unknowingly made use of misconceptions, faulty reasoning, and sensationalism."

Written By: Atari on 05/13/08 at 4:58 pm

This was a great show, but it totally creeped me out, especially Robert Stack's voice.

Watch Caddyshack 2. That'll remove all of Robert Stack's creepiness for you :)

Better yet, don't watch that movie...

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/13/08 at 6:57 pm

Watch Caddyshack 2. That'll remove all of Robert Stack's creepiness for you :)

Better yet, don't watch that movie...

I loved Caddyshack II and thought it was better than the original (more silly and family friendly, and just generally I thought the characters were easier to relate to). Even though Stack played one of the "villians" in that, he was hilarious.

Speaking of Robert Stack in general, one thing I really admire about him is that he was pro-law enforcement and getting justice for people (that was the focus of UM, especially early on when he was personally more involved), but at the same time came across as classy and practical.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/14/08 at 9:59 am

I loved watching Unsolved Mysteries, as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...