inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best artists of the 80's?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/24/08 at 2:24 pm

I know this list may be really tough for some of you, that's why I'm allowing you to pick a whopping 8 of them. My picks would be Van Halen, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Queen, and Testament  :)

Subject: Re: Best artists of the 80's?

Written By: Atari on 05/24/08 at 3:14 pm

Bleh. Green River. Some good bands came out of that one, though :)

And did every damn Seattle band HAVE to cover Swallow My Pride?!?

Written By: johnny5alive on 05/24/08 at 7:45 pm

deep purple.....  in the 80's????? :o

Written By: whistledog on 05/24/08 at 9:12 pm

There's too many thrash metal bands in the poll. 

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/24/08 at 10:32 pm

Van Halen
AC/DC
U2
Guns N' Roses
Def Leppard
REM
Iron Maiden
& Other: various others, incl. Crowded House, Split Enz, April Wine...

The following from the list I liked their 70s (and 60s for some) output, but not 80s:
Queen
Deep Purple
Aerosmith
Yes

Written By: robby76 on 05/24/08 at 10:47 pm

This poll is a bit biased. Anyway, although I am not a huge fan of either, I voted Madonna and MJ. Their 80s albums were solid. There's no denying the pop genius behind Thriller and Like A Virgin.

Apart from that I chose Other : Five Star, The Jets, Whitney Houston

Written By: Temptation on 05/25/08 at 12:14 am

Duran Duran :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/08 at 1:34 am

Other: The Bee Gees

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/25/08 at 7:41 am

deep purple.....  in the 80's????? :o

Yes, they reunited (with IAN GILLAN  ;D) in the early part of the decade and released two really solid albums.

There's too many thrash metal bands in the poll. 

Is that a problem? Or would you rather have had me fill the list with sheesh like Lionel Richie? Thrash was the driving force of heavy metal in the 80's, so saying that SIX bands is too many is more than bias against a genre that actually had substance and merit in a decade that seemed void of that. You should actually listen to them, you may be surprised on how much more talented they are than your beloved new wave bands.

Van Halen
AC/DC
U2
Guns N' Roses
Def Leppard
REM
Iron Maiden
& Other: various others, incl. Crowded House, Split Enz, April Wine...

The following from the list I liked their 70s (and 60s for some) output, but not 80s:
Queen
Deep Purple
Aerosmith
Yes

I thought Queen released some really good material in the beginning of the decade with songs like 'Under Pressure'. Yes wasn't very good in the 80's, I'll admit, but I thought I'd include them just in case, I didn't want someone to complain. Aerosmith was a major band of the decade, and even into the 90's, so I felt as if I had to include them. I already talked about Deep Purple.

This poll is a bit biased. Anyway, although I am not a huge fan of either, I voted Madonna and MJ. Their 80s albums were solid. There's no denying the pop genius behind Thriller and Like A Virgin.

Apart from that I chose Other : Five Star, The Jets, Whitney Houston

I wasn't born until '90, so I'm pretty much going to name only the major artists of the decade (I know Whitney was one, but I always considered her more 90's...and besides, she's a crackwhore). Sorry, but that's why I left the 'other' option  :)

Written By: robby76 on 05/25/08 at 8:12 am

I wasn't born until '90, so I'm pretty much going to name only the major artists of the decade (I know Whitney was one, but I always considered her more 90's...and besides, she's a crackwhore). Sorry, but that's why I left the 'other' option  :)

Ha ha, maybe so but I'm sure drugs influenced a lot of your favourite groups too. Whitney more 90s? She spans both decades equally in my opinion. In fact the only Whitney I like is 80s Whitney.

Anyway I'm fine with the poll - it's your poll after all. Out of the rockier groups on the list I would've gone for Def Leppard. They did the best job of appealing to the masses.

Written By: whistledog on 05/25/08 at 9:58 am

Is that a problem? Or would you rather have had me fill the list with sheesh like Lionel Richie? Thrash was the driving force of heavy metal in the 80's, so saying that SIX bands is too many is more than bias against a genre that actually had substance and merit in a decade that seemed void of that. You should actually listen to them, you may be surprised on how much more talented they are than your beloved new wave bands.

It's not a problem, it's just that when most people think of 80s artists, trash metal bands don't come to mind.  But is your poll.  Carry on :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/25/08 at 7:30 pm

Ha ha, maybe so but I'm sure drugs influenced a lot of your favourite groups too. Whitney more 90s? She spans both decades equally in my opinion. In fact the only Whitney I like is 80s Whitney.

Same here. I liked Whitney up to her 1990 album "I'm Your Baby Tonight".

From that list alone, I think Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince, The Cure, U2, and Guns N' Roses put out a lot of really great songs in the 80's.

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/25/08 at 10:09 pm

open question as music boils down to opinion.I listened & perfered Alternative as a lot in that list was "Rubbed" into the ground!
A Flock of Seagulls was about the only pic for me on that list!
http://hypem.com/marsdenplanet?w=1

Written By: Gis on 05/26/08 at 1:18 am

I disagree that Thrash was the driving force of Heavy Metal. Thrash only began to be noticed mid 80's, 1985 infact and there were two very seperate genres of metal that were big in the 80's, thrash was one yes, but not the be all and end all. I listened to both Thrash and Glam at the time. The Hair metal of the time was far more commercially sucessful.

Whistledog is quite right if you are doing a poll of 'Best 80's Artists' you need a wide spectrum of all tastes/styles including the ones you don't like! 

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/26/08 at 7:34 am

I disagree that Thrash was the driving force of Heavy Metal. Thrash only began to be noticed mid 80's, 1985 infact and there were two very seperate genres of metal that were big in the 80's, thrash was one yes, but not the be all and end all. I listened to both Thrash and Glam at the time. The Hair metal of the time was far more commercially sucessful.

Whistledog is quite right if you are doing a poll of 'Best 80's Artists' you need a wide spectrum of all tastes/styles including the ones you don't like! 

Well, I did include a lot of hair bands if that's what you mean (though I guess I forgot about Bon Jovi, and the ones that actually got famous toward the end of their era in 1990 - 91, like Warrant and Slaughter). I also don't even consider glam as heavy metal, if anything, it's either hard rock or pop, depending on if the band is actually manufactured or not. If it was real metal, it would likely have not faced the backlash it did in the early 90's  ;) (Thrash actually peaked in popularity after hair metal became irrelevant and before grunge completely took over).

Written By: midnite on 05/29/08 at 6:13 pm

No Aha or CC Catch? 

Check for new replies or respond here...