inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Duran Duran/Britney Spears proposed collaboration????

Written By: DelRio on 05/25/08 at 6:52 pm

I'm not sure if this is true, or not, but I read someplace (I forgot where) that Duran Duran were looking for a female vocalist for one of the songs from "Red Carpet Massacre", and early on, a little before getting Justin Timberlake and Timbaland onboard, the #1 candidate was Britney Spears.  They has also wanted to work with Nelly Furtado, Lily Allen and Gwen Stefani.  Is this true, or a rumor?

Subject: Re: Duran Duran/Britney Spears proposed collaboration????

Written By: whistledog on 05/25/08 at 6:56 pm

It had better be a rumour.  D2 would be committing suicide if they enlisted Britney's help

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/25/08 at 7:26 pm

I hope it isn't true.  :( :o

Written By: DelRio on 05/25/08 at 9:28 pm

It had better be a rumour.  D2 would be committing suicide if they enlisted Britney's help

Personally, I think it would be cool because Britney Spears is awesome and I love Duran Duran.  If you listen to all of her songs, she has a definate DD influence in her music.  I don't think I can think of another artist who would be better for them to join forces with.

Written By: dmfan420 on 05/25/08 at 10:26 pm

Personally, I think it would be cool because Britney Spears is awesome and I love Duran Duran.  If you listen to all of her songs, she has a definate DD influence in her music.  I don't think I can think of another artist who would be better for them to join forces with.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. 8-P

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/25/08 at 10:51 pm

Speaking of which, anyone remember these two mash-ups?

Duran Duran vs. Girls Aloud: Girls on Film
Joan Jett vs. Britney Spears: I Love Rock and Roll

Written By: whistledog on 05/26/08 at 12:14 am

same here

Written By: whistledog on 05/26/08 at 12:15 am

Duran Duran vs. Girls Aloud: Girls on Film

I actually didn't mind that one

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/26/08 at 12:38 am

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/MrsRoryWeasley/Other/Smilies/Millan%20Smilies/25r30wi.gif  Oh wait, maybe you're not joking.  YIKES!!!

Written By: Arc on 05/26/08 at 6:56 am

I know Duran Duran's "Falling Down" video was loosely based on her, as well as Lindsay Lohan, Kate Moss and other troubled starlets, but I never heard anything about them wanting to do a song with her.  I think it would be kind of cool, too.  I know they all have the major hots for her.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/26/08 at 7:55 am

Britney Spears is awesome
Wait... what?  :o

Are you Chris Crocker?

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/26/08 at 1:00 pm

Insanity is "self explanatory"
A Fans View of Britney
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LWSjUe0FyxQ
Pains one to think these people are actually walking the streets!
Sure She could colaberate on a track with someone , But would that other party want to!

Written By: Denise on 05/26/08 at 10:35 pm

Oh, please!  Duran Duran's a bunch of dirty old men who just want a hot piece of a$$ around.  But I would certainly welcome a Britney/Duran collaboration because there is a heavy DD influence in Brit's songs, especially her newer songs and "Toxic".  Personally, I happen to think Britney's music is alot better than Duran Duran's as are her music videos and stage shows.  But maybe a duet with the sexiest female on earth might just be what DD needs to get them some exposure.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/26/08 at 10:43 pm

Oh, please!  Duran Duran's a bunch of dirty old men who just want a hot piece of a$$ around.  But I would certainly welcome a Britney/Duran collaboration because there is a heavy DD influence in Brit's songs, especially her newer songs and "Toxic".  Personally, I happen to think Britney's music is alot better than Duran Duran's as are her music videos and stage shows.  But maybe a duet with the sexiest female on earth might just be what DD needs to get them some exposure.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/funny-pictures-sarcastic-symphony-cat.jpg

Written By: tv on 05/27/08 at 4:54 pm

You think Britney has better songs than Duran Duran? That makes me laugh right now. Duran Duran has some classic 80's songs and a couple of hits in the 90's as well.

As for stage shows Duran Duran is not a group that is going dance on stage(not that there is anything wrong with that.)

Written By: dmfan420 on 05/27/08 at 5:15 pm

I saw DD in 1983. They were amazing. It was a great live show and the band defintitely delivered a solid LIVE SINGING performance. Comparing a DD show to a Britney show is like comparing a Linkin Park concert to a Miley Cirus concert. DD are a more straight forward play the music, sing the song, have some cool effects behind them where Ms. Brit is all about the dancing (and lip syching). While there are a couple of good Britney remixes, personally, I wouldn't be a big fan of a collaboration between these two. It was bad enough DD got infuesed with TT (Timbaland/Timberlake) on this last album (that sucked compared to Astronaut - IMO). But hey, I realize it all about trying to make money and try to get new fans. Tho I don't think that anyone who listens to Britney anymore is not aware of DD.

Written By: Jack on 05/27/08 at 8:36 pm

I vaguely recall hearing that Britney was at one of their shows and she met with them backstage and they talked about doing a song together.  This was back in 2003, and as we all know, nothing happened.  I don't think it's true because as much as I love Britney and think she's just about the sexiest slice of estrogen on God's green earth...she really isn't all that dependable.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/08 at 9:00 pm

Say, do you ever listen to the Stephanie Miller show?
???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/08 at 9:14 pm

I'm a fan of the classic Duran Duran.  In a way, Britney is their legacy from "Girls on Film."
::)

Written By: aerontg on 05/28/08 at 7:01 pm

Britney's "hot"???  The only thing hot is the steaming pile of dung that spews from her mouth.  Her vocabulary is extremely limited for such an outspoken celebrity, her singing is terrible.  I agree, BAD public relations move for DD.

Aeron

Written By: dmfan420 on 05/29/08 at 3:38 pm

Say, do you ever listen to the Stephanie Miller show?
???

No...who is she?

Written By: johnny5alive on 05/29/08 at 10:09 pm

about four or five years ago, brittney might have looked good in a duran duran video, as long as she didnt try to sing! ;D

Written By: Davester on 05/29/08 at 11:00 pm

Meh, doesn't matter anyway.  I haven't listened to DD since Notorious...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/29/08 at 11:17 pm

gosh..everytime I see DD, I think that people are talking about Donnie Darko. ;D :D

Written By: Denise on 05/31/08 at 9:14 am

I think it would benefit both DD and Brit because both are in a bit of a career slump and maybe joining forces can help them gain popularity.  Actually Britney is way more popular than DD so it would help DD more.

Written By: johnny5alive on 05/31/08 at 10:21 am

Actually Britney is way more popular than DD so it would help DD more...................................................................    yes she is, as in the tabloids! ::)

Written By: whistledog on 05/31/08 at 10:40 am

I think it would benefit both DD and Brit because both are in a bit of a career slump and maybe joining forces can help them gain popularity.  Actually Britney is way more popular than DD so it would help DD more.

The only talent Britney has is creating headlines when she walks around with no underwear on.  That's a skill she has that no one can master .. because no one would want to

Written By: Brooker on 06/01/08 at 10:31 am

I vaguely recall hearing that Britney was at one of their shows and she met with them backstage and they talked about doing a song together.  This was back in 2003, and as we all know, nothing happened.  I don't think it's true because as much as I love Britney and think she's just about the sexiest slice of estrogen on God's green earth...she really isn't all that dependable.

That has got to be a rumor!!  All this has to be a rumor!!  Firstly, Duran Duran knows talent when they see it and as much as you may not want to admit it, Justin Timberlake and Timbaland do have alot of talent.  Britney's big "talent" is being a lip-syncing Barbie doll-turned-tabloid target who relies on going commando to keep her name in lights.  DD are all a talented bunch of guys and unlike Britney were not a studio concoction.  Even though Justin started out that way with 'N Sync the guy can actually sing and make his own music.  Britney can't sing, write music, she's not even that great a dancer, which is why she has a huge bevy of talented dancers backing her.  The only thing I ever heard linking DD to Britney was Simon saying that he and the guys love her "Toxic" video because she's naked in it and another time was I think it was either when she was pregnant, or after she had the baby, or when she was driving with the baby in her lap when Simon said he never wanted to be a baby so badly in his life...but I'm pretty sure that was just a joke, because of his naughty and wicked sense of humor.  And for the record "Falling Down" was about MODELS in rehab and, contrary to popular opinion, not really about Britney Spears.  Maybe the girl in the beginning did look a little like her, but it was not as much about her as it was about celebrity culture and starlets going to rehab.  Hope this clears it up for you.

Written By: RhodesGoddess84 on 06/01/08 at 10:50 am

:o :o No way!!  This is all a big heap of bullsh*t!!  ::) Just thought up by some "creative" person who apparently has way too much time on his/her hands...who is apparently some deranged Britney Spears fanatic who can't seem to pull himself/herself out of the year 2002!  I would like to set the records straight...First, Duran Duran are NOT and never will be and never planned to be working with, touring with, or doing ANYTHING with UNFITney SMEARS!!  Because they are all talented and have been around for three decades, survived several bandmember changes and some career setbacks.  What's UNFItney's greatest accomplishment?!  Going from preteen Mousketeer to teenage slut who struts around in a catholic school uniform one minute then poses for Rolling Stone in her undies the next?!  Now, she's just a washout who can't seem to take a hint and take a hike!!  Maybe because all the tabloids, paparazzi and crazed fans won't let her, but this freaking woman needs to just GO AWAY already because us SANE people are sick to death of hearing about her, reading about her and seeing her spazztic blemished face everywhere!!  8-P At least the men in Duran Duran (especially Nick and John  ;) *sigh*) are still holding up and they take care of themselves and don't gorge on Cheetos and ice cream!  Even though they worked with Timbaland/Timberlake, there's no way they'd degrade themselves to working, or having ANYTHING to do with some former teen pop star who is basically in the same league as Paris and Lindsay.  As for the "Falling Down" clip, they were poking fun at young Hollywood, but just because one of the girls bares a resemblence to Sh*tney, suddenly the media goes into overdrive and makes up all these stories about the guys being associated with that fat pig!!  So, let me give it to you straight...DURAN DURAN ARE NEVER EVER GOING TO DO ANYTHING WITH BRITNEY SPEARS AND THEY WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH BRITNEY SPEARS!!!!  CASE CLOSED!!!  Now, that being said, can we please have a non-Britney discussion about Duran Duran?  Like, did anyone see them in NYC?  Sadly, :\'( I was under the weather and unable to attend.

Written By: Davester on 06/01/08 at 6:02 pm

Woooooo!!! ;D

Written By: ZZZzzzZZZzzzzZZZAPP!! on 06/07/08 at 12:56 pm

The mere thought of a Duran Duran/Britney Spears duet is rather bothersome.  I listened to them alot, even though I wasn't even born yet when they became hot (hint: I was actually born in 1984).  I started listening to them during the "Ordinary World"/"Too Much Information"-era in around 1993/94 and became a huge fan of theirs; started attending their shows, ect.  This was in an era when music was good.  Before all the boyband crapola suddenly took over.  And Britney...even though she did have a body and some cute videos, her songs all sucked as did her singing!  If anything, I initially pegged her as a one-hit-wonder.  Then, she was everywhere and wouldn't go away.  I still love Duran Duran, even though I am pissed that they buckled under and worked with Timberlake/Timbaland, because they have the same recycled tunes over and over.  If they were thinking of working with Britney, this would make me question their judgement.  Is it a desperate attempt to sell millions of records again, or just because they're all making their career decisions based on Simon Lebon's boner??!!  If they were going to do a duet with a female vocalist, they should have gone with Christina Aguilera, or Alicia Keys....but having Britney, and even Lily Allen and Nelly Furtado - another couple of no-talent bimbos getting by on their "sex appeal" and the ability to make headlines - is career suicide.  If you ask me, I think Duran Duran - god bless them - need to stop thinking with their "Mr. Happy's" and start thinking with their minds!

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/08 at 6:54 pm

Wow!  I never realized how much posts with no paragraphs are hard to read ;D

Written By: Zeb on 06/11/08 at 3:46 pm

They deserve each other >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...