inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Non-rock bands that were very rock-influenced.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/06/08 at 10:38 pm

Doesn't this seem to be a big thing in the '80s? Probably because alot of the styles were blending in the mainstream. Like Corey Hart, Robert Palmer, Rick Springfield and (on certain songs) Hall and Oates come to mind. They're not rock per se, but are guitar-oriented and would fit in with stuff that was.

Subject: Re: Non-rock bands that were very rock-influenced.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/06/08 at 11:10 pm

Alot of pop songs also featured guitar solo's in them back then as well. Like Eddie Van Halen on "Beat It" for example. I would also consider a song like "Hungry Like The Wolf" by Duran Duran as another example. It's certainly a pop song, but it does have a certain "pop rock" sound to it.

How about songs by groups like The Outfield? A song like "Your Love" sounds alot like a rock song, but the vocals sound a bit "poppier" than most true rock songs from that era.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/06/08 at 11:14 pm

Alot of pop songs also featured guitar solo's in them back then as well. Like Eddie Van Halen on "Beat It" for example. I would also consider a song like "Hungry Like The Wolf" by Duran Duran as another example. It's certainly a pop song, but it does have a certain "pop rock" sound to it.

How about songs by groups like The Outfield? A song like "Your Love" sounds alot like a rock song, but the vocals sound a bit "poppier" than most true rock songs from that era.

Yeah "Beat It" is a good example (I think that's my favorite MJ song). I hear that even got some airplay on rock stations at the time because of Eddie's guitar solo, so it really was a genre crossing song.

I forgot about the Outfield, but they've got some good songs (I really like "All the Love in the World" and "The Night Ain't Over"). They sound alot like the Police but a little more new wavish and poppy.

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/08 at 8:13 am

Corey Hart went from New Wave to Pop to Rock.  His last album of the 80s 'Young Man Running' from 1988 was more rock than anything else with hits like 'In Your Soul' and 'Spot You in A Coalmine'

Written By: Atari on 06/07/08 at 6:44 pm

To complicate matters even further, bands like Ratt, Dokken, and the Scorpions were known as "pop metal".

So you had pop rock and pop metal. I guess once the mainstream gets ahold of it and adds a certain formalistic melody to it, it becomes pop.

Haven't heard of pop thrash or pop grindcore yet, though :)

Written By: Gis on 06/08/08 at 4:46 am

To complicate matters even further, bands like Ratt, Dokken, and the Scorpions were known as "pop metal".

So you had pop rock and pop metal. I guess once the mainstream gets ahold of it and adds a certain formalistic melody to it, it becomes pop.

Haven't heard of pop thrash or pop grindcore yet, though :)
You also had a lot of Glam Metal bands which were very poppish. Where do Nelson fit in this?  ;D 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/08/08 at 9:41 am

You also had a lot of Glam Metal bands which were very poppish. Where do Nelson fit in this?  ;D 

I would call Nelson the same thing alot of emo bands are called today:

A boy band with guitars ;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/08 at 10:22 am

New wave duo Eurythmics fit big into this category.  You can definately hear it in their 1987 hit 'I Need A Man'.  I never used to like that song, but lately, it's growing on me

Written By: woops on 06/09/08 at 4:14 pm

Beastie Boys

Written By: Atari on 06/10/08 at 10:06 am

I would call Nelson the same thing alot of emo bands are called today:

A boy band with guitars ;D

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/messerogers/emo_fatass.jpg

What's wrong with emo?  ;D  :D 8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...