inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will '80s nostalgia die out soon?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/07/08 at 9:14 pm

I've wondered about this, since things from about a quarter century ago are usually revived for nostalgia. It's sad to think the '80s might be getting too old to even be retro-cool (in the mainstream) pretty soon!  :\'( It's only three more years before Nirvana is 20 years ago after all.

Even when the '90s takes over as the dominant retro time, I do think some '80s things will kinda pass into being "eternally cool". Like certain new wave songs, NES and other videogames like Pac Man, and some fashions like Izod shirts. Lots of people have always loved that stuff and I don't remember it being made fun of really. If you think about it, the casual dressing style of a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers really is an '80s thing that never went away.

I think it'll progress similar to the late '60s and '70s. To use that as a template, even if it was bigger in the '90s, that time still has longevity today, like with tons of young people still liking classic rock. It's also modern enough that people can still relate to it.

Subject: Re: Will '80s nostalgia die out soon?

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/08 at 9:15 pm

No.

Look at 50s and 60s nostalgia.  People are jonesing for it all the time

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/07/08 at 9:30 pm

I don't think '80s nostalgia will ever fully "die out", but it will probably be supplanted by '90s nostalgia in the next 5-10 years (and remember the earliest signs of '80s nostalgia began in the late '90s so it could be sooner than that).

At that point they will join the '70s, '60s, and '50s in the "still relevant, but mostly ancient" category that all decade's seem to enter when you have to be 30 or older to remember the whole thing.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/10/08 at 11:44 am

I think '80s nostalgia will stick around. It will be appreciated a little differently since the older kids get that were not born in the '80s will appreciate it for different reasons - maybe because their parents grew up in that era so they were exposed to some of the culture like we were exposed to '70s culture even though we were born in the '80s. Kids that were born in the '00s will probably appreciate it similarly to how we appreciate the '60s. Something that wasn't really our time, but again, because their parents were more than likely born in that decade, then they can feel some kind of affinity towards it. Obviously, some kids may have parents who just don't listen to '80s music or associate themselves with the '80s whatsoever, so they may be pretty clueless of that time all together.

I really do think it's the parents and people around us that expose us of these past generational gaps and teach us what we would have never known. Like a previous topic I created, "All we know is what's come before us." I think this statement holds true for a lot of people.

Written By: Stumpydisks on 06/10/08 at 2:49 pm

Nah, I think it will always be around

Written By: johnny5alive on 06/10/08 at 8:51 pm

No.

Look at 50s and 60s nostalgia.  People are jonesing for it all the time

EXACTLY :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/10/08 at 11:20 pm

I think '80s nostalgia will stick around. It will be appreciated a little differently since the older kids get that were not born in the '80s will appreciate it for different reasons - maybe because their parents grew up in that era so they were exposed to some of the culture like we were exposed to '70s culture even though we were born in the '80s. Kids that were born in the '00s will probably appreciate it similarly to how we appreciate the '60s. Something that wasn't really our time, but again, because their parents were more than likely born in that decade, then they can feel some kind of affinity towards it. Obviously, some kids may have parents who just don't listen to '80s music or associate themselves with the '80s whatsoever, so they may be pretty clueless of that time all together.

I really do think it's the parents and people around us that expose us of these past generational gaps and teach us what we would have never known. Like a previous topic I created, "All we know is what's come before us." I think this statement holds true for a lot of people.

That's very true. I fit that stereotype exactly (born in the '80s and my parent's were born in the '60s) and I always did have more of an appreciation for the '60s and '70s due to them exposing me to alot of the music and culture of those decade's that I probably would've never discovered.

In that regard, '80s nostalgia will probably continue on for a while, even though kids born in the '00s (and probably many born later in the '90s as well) will see that decade as the stone ages like many of my friends see the '50s and '60s.

Written By: Midas on 06/12/08 at 10:54 pm

Not in my little bubble of a world, where 80's music still rox my sox.  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...