inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Slasher films are sexist...

Written By: Denise on 06/08/08 at 9:57 am

Starting an interesting topic for decision that hasn't been talked about on here yet....horror/slasher films from the 1980's (and '90s and even today) are incredibly sexist and anti-women.  Women being hacked, chopped up, decapitated, strangled...it's just wrong.  However, I would have no beef with women serial killers hacking up men.  They deserve it way more than we do!!

Subject: Re: Slasher films are sexist...

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/08 at 10:04 am

What if Britney Spears was in a slasher film?

Written By: loki 13 on 06/08/08 at 10:28 am

Starting an interesting topic for decision that hasn't been talked about on here yet....horror/slasher films from the 1980's (and '90s and even today) are incredibly sexist and anti-women.  Women being hacked, chopped up, decapitated, strangled...it's just wrong.  However, I would have no beef with women serial killers hacking up men.  They deserve it way more than we do!!

This really bugs me. You hate slasher films because they are misogynistic yet you don't mind them to be misandristic.
Sexism is sexism, you can't hate one side and like the other and not be a sexist yourself. When you really think about it,

Who cares!

Written By: Midas on 06/08/08 at 10:48 am

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/myfask/258Troll_spray.jpg

Written By: Red Ant on 06/08/08 at 11:04 am

http://www.tadbit.com/hosted_imgs/you_fail_002.jpg

Ant

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/08/08 at 11:21 am

In a former life I was an axe murderer and a blond hottie. :)

Hey Denise, knock it off!!!  Seriously this crap is getting old.

Written By: ninny on 06/08/08 at 1:18 pm

In a former life I was an axe murderer and a blond hottie. :)

Hey Denise, knock it off!!!  Seriously this crap is getting old.

LOL..I still am....I'm a mass murderer,with DD's as a weapon
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll84/WaterinTrough/clockemoticons.gif

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/08/08 at 2:33 pm

LOL..I still am....I'm a mass murderer,with DD's as a weapon
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll84/WaterinTrough/clockemoticons.gif

All murderers have a specialty.  I'm appalled that some narrow minded think they're all men.

Written By: Bobby on 06/08/08 at 3:17 pm

Nice try, Denise, but if you've seen any Friday the 13th/Halloween film, the murderer is pretty random about his choice of victim regardless of gender.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 06/08/08 at 4:12 pm

Bobby's right... technically slasher films are ageist not sexist.

Notice its teens are the only people the slashers are trying to eradicate from the planet. 
In Halloween Mike Myers didn't kill infant Laurie- instead he waited 15 years and tried to kill her as an adult.
Okay sure, by the time we get to the later Halloween movies he is trying to kill adult Laurie but that's more about frustration and revenge than  personal abhoration for the post-pubescent, sexually irresponsible teens.  Even in Rob Zombie's remake a few adults are killed but those murders serve a higher purpose... the ends justifies the means... he has to kill to get out of the sanitarium but once free he's not wreaking havoc on the Haddonfield adults. And he isn't terrorizing the kiddies...I mean lets face it it's frickin' Halloween!!!! Kids are in abundance!  Nope he goes straight for the teen population.

And by the way.... yes there is a not-so-subtle subtext in the fact that the seemingly virginal "good girl" is always the one to survive but the point is.... it is always a woman who survives the attacks. Possibly because all the virginal good boys are hanging in basements with their geek buddies playing D&D (not ninny's DDs  ;D )

Alas in the end, more often than not, the final minutes of horror films depict that classic struggle of MAN (the slasher) versus WOMAN (the final girl) and always the MAN has to limp off to lick his wounds and try to battle again another day.... while the woman- shaken but never really seriously injured is left somewhat traumatized but still victorious in her battle.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p245/seaofsapphires/iisfiercecat.jpg

Written By: johnny5alive on 06/08/08 at 11:12 pm

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/myfask/258Troll_spray.jpg
            i hope ya dont mind, but i have copied and saved this picture!  its awsome!  to coin an old 80's phrase! ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 06/09/08 at 8:15 pm

Troll spray. Sounds like something Gamefaqs needs. :D

Written By: Stumpydisks on 06/10/08 at 2:50 pm

I wouldn't say they're sexist exactly. In fact, most of the ones from the 80s had a female hero in them

Written By: johnny5alive on 06/10/08 at 8:50 pm

what is Gamefaqs??

Written By: Step-chan on 06/10/08 at 9:45 pm

what is Gamefaqs??

A gaming site.

Written By: Bobby on 06/10/08 at 10:27 pm

Bobby's right... technically slasher films are ageist not sexist.

Notice its teens are the only people the slashers are trying to eradicate from the planet. 
In Halloween Mike Myers didn't kill infant Laurie- instead he waited 15 years and tried to kill her as an adult.
Okay sure, by the time we get to the later Halloween movies he is trying to kill adult Laurie but that's more about frustration and revenge than  personal abhoration for the post-pubescent, sexually irresponsible teens.   Even in Rob Zombie's remake a few adults are killed but those murders serve a higher purpose... the ends justifies the means... he has to kill to get out of the sanitarium but once free he's not wreaking havoc on the Haddonfield adults. And he isn't terrorizing the kiddies...I mean lets face it it's frickin' Halloween!!!! Kids are in abundance!  Nope he goes straight for the teen population.

And by the way.... yes there is a not-so-subtle subtext in the fact that the seemingly virginal "good girl" is always the one to survive but the point is.... it is always a woman who survives the attacks. Possibly because all the virginal good boys are hanging in basements with their geek buddies playing D&D (not ninny's DDs  ;D )

Alas in the end, more often than not, the final minutes of horror films depict that classic struggle of MAN (the slasher) versus WOMAN (the final girl) and always the MAN has to limp off to lick his wounds and try to battle again another day.... while the woman- shaken but never really seriously injured is left somewhat traumatized but still victorious in her battle.

Good points made here, Snozberries.  8)

There is a sexual sub-context to the slasher film as you mentioned (male slasher kills all sexually experienced people but doesn't kill virginal one) but I think that is to emphasise that only the true good can defeat the psychopathically bad. The reason why Jason killed sexually active teens was because he was drowning while his two teenage counsellors were neglecting their duties due to making out. The reason for Michael Myers killing teenagers is not so clear to me as he is meant to be just an embodiment of evil though I reckon it was something to do with the age of his sister Judith who he killed after she had sex with her boyfriend so I reckon neglect was also a theme there too.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/11/08 at 7:48 am

Why hasn't Denise replied? :-\\

Written By: Tia on 06/11/08 at 8:06 am

Why hasn't Denise replied? :-\\
maybe freddie got her

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/11/08 at 8:18 am

maybe freddie got her

That male chauvinist pig!!!  Did he video tape it? :)

Written By: Step-chan on 06/11/08 at 7:36 pm

That male chauvinist pig!!!  Did he video tape it? :)

I would go ask Freddie.... But I know I won't be back. :D

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/12/08 at 12:06 am

Films are just that!.Sensationalism at its worst.All slasher flicks are just plain Bad!
Mind you I did cheer for Leatherface to shut that bitch up from screeming in the 1st Texas Chainsaw..
If you worry about all that touchy feelly  crap stay at home lock the door & "Don't Answer The Phone!"

Horror movies have gone into a "top that" war..& if you compare to Hitchcock films .he left the killing scenes to the crowds imagination....Thats why they were so good!.......

But SEX sells everything....There all hot models in the beer commercials...TV & Hollywood are a far cry from reality & if something annoys someone it was probably  intended to be just that!

Check for new replies or respond here...