inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sheriff / Alias

Written By: whistledog on 06/10/08 at 11:33 pm

Sheriff were a short-lived Canadian band best known for the rock ballad 'When I'm With You'.  After the group parted ways in 1985, the founding members enjoyed varying degrees of success in other projects.  You probably won't recognize all these songs, but it's always nice to learn new things about an artist you never knew before.  This is their story ...

SHERIFF
Sheriff was a Canadian rock band formed in 1979 by Freddy Curci (voice), Steve De Marchi (guitar), Arnold Lanni (keyboards), Wolf Hassel (Bass), Rob Elliott (drums).  Their sole album was a 1982 self-titled release.  While touring to promote their unreleased 2nd album, the group parted ways.  Originally 'When I'm With You' was a minor US hit in 1983, but in 1988 a Las Vegas DJ began playing the song in high rotation and the nation caught on, sending the song to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 ...

http://www.mindspring.com/~lakefire/sheriffcd.jpg

1982 - You Remind Me
1983 - When I'm With You
1988 - When I'm With You <re-release>

FROZEN GHOST
Following the demise of Sheriff, founding members Arnold Lanni and Wolf Hassel formed Frozen Ghost.  Oddly enough as 'When I'm With You' had re-charted in 1988, Lanni and Hassel found themselves competing with ... themselves in the charts.  Frozen Ghost did well in Canada, but remain one hit wonders in America ...

http://album.ezpeer.com/album_dev/upload/35088.jpg

1987 - Should I See
1988 - Yum Bai Ya
1988 - Round and Round
1989 - Dream Come True
1992 - Shake Your Spirit
1992 - Head Over Heels
1992 - Cry (If You Want to)
1992 - Shine on Me

ALIAS
Following the new found success with the re-release of 'When I'm With You', founding Sheriff members Freddy Curci and Steve DeMarchi joined Heart founding members Roger Fisher, Steve Fossen and Mike DeRosier to form Alias in 1988.  Though Alias never topped the US chart, they remain more successful than Sheriff were ...

http://www.mindspring.com/~lakefire/aliascd.jpg

1990 - Haunted Heart
1990 - More Than Words Can Say
1991 - Waiting For Love
1991 - The Power
1991 - Perfect World

FREDDY CURCI
While Alias toured to promote their success, they broke up, and Freddy Curci went solo ...

http://www.mindspring.com/~lakefire/dreamers.jpg

1994 - Brown Eyed Girl
1994 - Dreamer's Road
1995 - Give Me A Reason to Stay

Subject: Re: Sheriff / Alias

Written By: Gis on 06/11/08 at 2:54 am

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the Sheriff album had a different cover in the U.K............. I have that, the Alias and 2 Frozen Ghost albums. I haven't listened to any of them in years.  :-[

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/11/08 at 11:03 pm

I love "When I'm With You". It's one of the most under rated rock ballads of the '80s.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/11/08 at 11:14 pm

"When I'm with you" was my friend and her husband's "song" so I still associate it with them (even though the couple had the same success as the band, it seems.  :( )  I still remember them playing the song at the wedding and introducing the bride and groom, the maid of honor and best man, and finally introducing me and the usher (12 year old brother of the groom) on the last long high note of the song that was what we had to dance to him singing "yooooooouuuuuu".  ;D  Good times.  ;D

I really liked More Than words too, I think it came out about the same time as Extreme's More then words, so when I went to request this song, they always played the other one.  ::)

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/11/08 at 11:25 pm

I think "When I'm With You" is a lovely song, as well as "More Than Words Can Say".

Written By: robby76 on 06/14/08 at 7:47 pm

Another big fan of "When I'm With You".My brother had the Sheriff album back in the 90s.

Check for new replies or respond here...