inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Garfield TV specials & "Garfield & Friends"

Written By: woops on 06/14/08 at 4:28 pm

I recently watched a DVD featuring Garfiled tv specials  that I have never seen. Though I wasn't aware of them until a few years ago except for the Halloween & Christmas specials. The DVD featured three specials with a travel theme, which Garfield, Jon, and Odie went camping, tropical island, and Hollywood. Actually quite good and the "Hawaii" song is catchy.

I used to watch "Garfield & Friends", which I remember "US Acres", with Orson the pig. Thinking of buying the DVD sets, though haven't seen it for about a decade.

Subject: Re: Garfield TV specials & "Garfield & Friends"

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/14/08 at 6:30 pm

I remember Garfield and friends! (I still know the theme song) I loved that show ad would rush home after school to watch it everyday.  :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/14/08 at 6:33 pm

I love Garfield and Friends.  U.S. Acres is awesome.  My favorite characters were Wade (the duck that's afraid of everything) and Lanolin the sarcastic lamb.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/14/08 at 7:15 pm

I used to watch Garfield and Friends growing up and have watched alot of the specials.

One of my favorite specials is the one where they go to Hawaii.

Written By: robby76 on 06/14/08 at 7:52 pm

Yep I love the Hawaiian one too. It was a staple for us growing up. "Hello Hawaii... can I come over!!!"  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/14/08 at 8:56 pm

I loved "Garfield & Friends" and the "US Acres" shorts were also alot of fun. It's just a shame that this show hasn't been coming on regularly for about 10 years. I didn't consider a Saturday morning complete until I had watched an episode. :)

Written By: whistledog on 06/14/08 at 9:00 pm

'Garfield Goes Hollywood' is very old.  I had the actual book of that when I was a kid, I think it came out around 1984.  I may still have that book somewhere (i think)

I have the Volume 1 set of 'Garfield and Friends'.  Outside of the States, 'U.S. Acres' was known as 'Orson's Farm' which is how it appears on the DVD set that I have

Written By: woops on 06/14/08 at 9:54 pm

^ that special's from 1987 and also from the DVD.

Ironically, it's still relevent now since Jon was talking about the downfall of fame while Garfield was hungry for media attention. Also the "Pet Search" (parody of "Star Search") is no different than the "talent" reality shows that's polluting the air waves.

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/15/08 at 1:00 am

I really loved "Garfield and Friends" and watched practically every episode during its run. On "U.S. Acres", my favorite characters were Wade the Duck, Roy Rooster and poor little Sheldon, the chick that lives in his egg. Also, Orson's big brothers cracked me up, how they always were looking for ways to steal the "veggie-tables".  ;D

Of the TV specials, my favorites were the Hawaii, Halloween, and Christmas ones.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/15/08 at 2:13 am

I LOVED almost anything Garfield. I collected his stuff and still do. So, naturally, the Garfield and Friends series and the Holiday specials were always something I watched. Unfortunately, I have not seen the Garfield and Friends episodes air for a long time, and almost any detail from it has pretty much escaped my memory. It surprises me though, since I watched it ALL the time.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/15/08 at 2:03 pm

I haven't seen them in awhile either.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/15/08 at 4:16 pm

I just thought of something random, When I was little, my mom bought my a hairbrush in the shape of Garfield. I kept it for YEARS. I dunno what happened to it.  :(

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/15/08 at 4:34 pm

I just thought of something random, When I was little, my mom bought my a hairbrush in the shape of Garfield. I kept it for YEARS. I dunno what happened to it.  :(

My Mom still uses my Garfield trash can in her office.  There still are Garfield colorforms stuck to the mirror in my old bedroom from WAY back. ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/15/08 at 10:54 pm

I still have some of my old Garfield dolls from childhood, plus some of the books, too. I knew someone who had one of those Garfield phones, the one where Garfield opens his eyes when you pick up the receiver. I've seen some of those phones pop up at antique and thrift shops every once in a while.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/16/08 at 5:51 pm

I've been wanting to get some Garfield books and other stuff once I can afford to.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/16/08 at 9:09 pm

The most fascinating thing about the Garfield comic strip is the remix potential it's achieved in over the past 20 years since Jim Davis stopped trying and started just phoning it in.

There's such a large base of raw material, that a random selection of any three panels is likely to produce a strip that's indistinguishable from the real thing.  Pull the lever on the virtual slot machine and see if you can hit the jackpot with the Random Garfield Generator.

Furthermore, a harmless comic strip can be turned into a terrifying window into the void of the human soul, and all you have to do is Photoshop out the cat, which was the flash of insight behind Garfield minus Garfield

Sometimes I wonder if Jim Davis isn't a better cartoonist than we give him credit for.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/17/08 at 4:34 pm

^ I've seen mixed up Garfield comics before. Kinda funny, I've also seen the same thing done with others like Dilbert. :D

Written By: pell on 06/17/08 at 7:00 pm

I also liked "Garfield on the Town."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/08 at 11:08 pm

Garfield minus Garfield:

http://garfieldminusgarfield.net/

Written By: 80srockboy on 07/03/08 at 4:19 pm

Good Stuff.

Check for new replies or respond here...