inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Tom Hanks 80s films

Written By: Entouch on 06/16/08 at 8:07 pm

I know Tom Hanks is considered a well-respected, talented, academy award movie star but before he became world renown in the 90s and up, he did alot of b-movie comedies. I believe his status changed after he did the movie "Big". I just thinking how far he's come along from the sitcom "Bosom Buddies" but I did enjoy him in those 80s comedies, lately it seems he just does serious material. I would always love him in "Nothing in Common", "The Money Pit", and
"Bachelor Party" to name a few.
P.S.  Dont you think Steve Guttenberg should've had Tom Hanks career? :-*

Subject: Re: Favorite Tom Hanks 80s films

Written By: johnny5alive on 06/16/08 at 8:20 pm

and dont forget him in  "a league of their own", one of my favorite baseball movies! :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/16/08 at 8:38 pm

I've always loved Tom Hanks. In the 80's, some of my favorite Tom Hanks movies include:

Splash
Punchline
Big
The 'Burbs
Turner and Hooch
Nothing in Common

Written By: whistledog on 06/16/08 at 9:16 pm

Big is #1 all the way 8)

I also liked 'The Money Pit', 'The Burbs' and 'Turner and Hooch'

That scene in the Money Pit where he is blindly stumbling down the construction work outside had me in stitches ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/16/08 at 10:34 pm

"Big" is my favorite.

Written By: wildcard on 06/16/08 at 11:04 pm

Splash and The Money Pit.

Written By: Entouch on 06/18/08 at 1:24 pm

Damn How can I forget Splash?

Written By: ninny on 06/18/08 at 1:29 pm

Bachelor Party
Big
Splash
The Man With One Red Shoe

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/08 at 1:31 pm

From the 80's

Splash
Big

Written By: b8man on 06/18/08 at 2:43 pm

Howard the duck and Big. Easy picks for me.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/18/08 at 3:54 pm

Big is a wonderful movie!  :)

Written By: Mushroom on 06/18/08 at 7:23 pm

I know Tom Hanks is considered a well-respected, talented, academy award movie star but before he became world renown in the 90s and up, he did alot of b-movie comedies. I believe his status changed after he did the movie "Big". I just thinking how far he's come along from the sitcom "Bosom Buddies" but I did enjoy him in those 80s comedies, lately it seems he just does serious material. I would always love him in "Nothing in Common", "The Money Pit", and
"Bachelor Party" to name a few.
P.S.  Dont you think Steve Guttenberg should've had Tom Hanks career? :-*

His movie career really started to change after Splash.  It showed that he was able to do much more then situation comedies.  And his career has largely gone up ever since.  Even some of his "failures" (Joe Vs. The Volcano, Dragnet) became cult classics.

Steve Guttenberg has a very spotty career.  And quite a bit of that he admits is his own fault.  Among roles he was offered and turned down was Josh from Big (Tom Hanks was their second choice), and Dr. Peter Venkman (which was given to their second choice, Bill Murry).  While he has not left the industry, he has not had a major hit in years.

Many people place the blame on his appearing in the to-long running "Police Accademy" series (he appeared in 4 of the 6 movies made).  When you play the same type of humor for to long, it tends to typecast you.  And people would remember his perfomance there instead of his performances in movies like Coccoon, 3 Men And A Baby, Short Circuit, and The Day After.

So yes, he could very well have had Tom's career.  Especially if he had taken the lead role in Big.  We then might have had Steve a multiple-Ocsar winning actor, and Tom doing Bachelor Party 5 and Dragnet 3: Back In Drag.

One of my favorite jokes to people my generation is to ask them if they would have imagined 25 years ago that 3 of the biggest dramatic actors would be Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, and John Travolta.  I wish I had a time machine to go back and really tell people that in the early 1980's:

"What, Mork from Ork, Vinnie Barbarino, and that gut that wears a dress?  You must be insane!"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/08 at 11:00 pm

His movie career really started to change after Splash.  It showed that he was able to do much more then situation comedies.  And his career has largely gone up ever since.  Even some of his "failures" (Joe Vs. The Volcano, Dragnet) became cult classics.

Steve Guttenberg has a very spotty career.  And quite a bit of that he admits is his own fault.  Among roles he was offered and turned down was Josh from Big (Tom Hanks was their second choice), and Dr. Peter Venkman (which was given to their second choice, Bill Murry).  While he has not left the industry, he has not had a major hit in years.

Many people place the blame on his appearing in the to-long running "Police Accademy" series (he appeared in 4 of the 6 movies made).  When you play the same type of humor for to long, it tends to typecast you.  And people would remember his perfomance there instead of his performances in movies like Coccoon, 3 Men And A Baby, Short Circuit, and The Day After.

So yes, he could very well have had Tom's career.  Especially if he had taken the lead role in Big.  We then might have had Steve a multiple-Ocsar winning actor, and Tom doing Bachelor Party 5 and Dragnet 3: Back In Drag.

One of my favorite jokes to people my generation is to ask them if they would have imagined 25 years ago that 3 of the biggest dramatic actors would be Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, and John Travolta.  I wish I had a time machine to go back and really tell people that in the early 1980's:

"What, Mork from Ork, Vinnie Barbarino, and that gut that wears a dress?  You must be insane!"

"The Money Pit" with Shelly Long. 

"Volunteers" (with John Candy as "Tom Tuttle from Tacoma")

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/19/08 at 8:53 am

Volunteers
The Money Pit
The Man With One Red Shoe
Saving Private Ryan

Tom is seen from time to time in The Muskokas where fiends Goldy Hawn & Kurt Russel have a cottage.
The Tornto Sun paper had a story around him some years back as a woman was so excited to see him in line behind her that she accidently put her icecream in her purse!
Price of fame does have its draw backs as Kurt Russel was not very pleased with people showing up at his place & banging on the door for an autograuph!

Tom has always presented himself as a can do type of actor & is not afraid to tackle off the wall roles
& doesn't wear a big head like Clooney does....His hat is only so size!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/19/08 at 2:21 pm

Splash
The Money Pit
Bachelor Party
The Burbs (which I love more than any of the other films on this list)

Steve got old real fast. He didn't have the charisma that Tom still possesses.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/19/08 at 3:20 pm

Splash
Big

and I have to put a plug-in for the 80's TV show, Bosom Buddies. Tom Hanks was hilarious on this too short lived show. ;)

Written By: robby76 on 06/19/08 at 10:39 pm

Big would be his highlight from the 80s. I liked Money Pit and Splash too.

Written By: midnite on 06/19/08 at 11:01 pm

Splash
Big

and I have to put a plug-in for the 80's TV show, Bosom Buddies. Tom Hanks was hilarious on this too short lived show. ;)

I loved Busom Buddies. 

Check for new replies or respond here...