inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Night Shift (1982)

Written By: whistledog on 06/16/08 at 11:15 pm

Anyone else love this movie?  Directed by Ron Howard (in his first major film as a director), it stars Henry Winkler and Michael Keaton as two Morgue workers on the night shift who become pimps and end up turning the morgue into a swinging business.  Shelley Long also appears as a hooker whom becomes the love interst for Winkler's character

Directed by Howard and starring Winkler, watch for other actors from the Happy Days family:  Gina Hecht (Mork and Mindy) who plays Winkler's fianceé and Jim Staahl (Mork and Mindy) who has a cameo as the bully in the club at the end

What I love best about this movie was the film's soundtrack by Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager.  It contains the original version of 'That's What Friends Are For' as sung by Rod Stewart and a beautiful instrumental version by Bacharach.  The title song to the film as performed by Quarterflash was the only original hit from the film, but the soundtrack houses such already hits as 'Everlasting Love' by Rufus, 'Penthouse and Pavement' by Heaven 17 and 'Talk Talk' by Talk Talk

http://bradleyparker.blogs.com/wheres_travis_mcgee/images/night_shift.jpg

Subject: Re: Night Shift (1982)

Written By: Atari on 06/17/08 at 2:50 am

Great movie. I saw it in the theatre when it came out. I had a hell of a time finding the DVD locally, but finally picked it up for a buck at a local flea market.

My favorite part is Bill laying on a slab playing "This is Chuck to remind Bill to SHUT UP!" on his tape player over and over. I still use the line "I will give you a quarter if you will just... STOP TALKING" to this day :)

Written By: star500 on 06/17/08 at 8:38 am

My mom bought this movie when it first came out on VHS and we love this movie. It is such a funny movie and I agree, the soundtrack is awesome! I love that particular version of the song, the Rod Stewart version...I was actually looking for it on LimeWire the other day and couldn't find it. Oh well.

Written By: whistledog on 06/17/08 at 7:14 pm

My mom bought this movie when it first came out on VHS and we love this movie. It is such a funny movie and I agree, the soundtrack is awesome! I love that particular version of the song, the Rod Stewart version...I was actually looking for it on LimeWire the other day and couldn't find it. Oh well.

It is a hard one to find.  I have the soundtrack on cassette, but I have been too lazy to put Rod's version to mp3.  I did put the Bacharach instrumental on mp3 :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/17/08 at 7:19 pm

I love that movie.  All the actors/actresses had great chemistry.  I haven't seen it in a long time though.

Written By: Entouch on 06/18/08 at 1:20 pm

I remember this film, Shelly Long appeared in this film the same year "Cheers" debuted on the NBC fall lineup of new shows.  You know I remember when Ron Howard made a cameo on Saturday Night Live with Eddie Murphy. When he was talking about his film, Eddie asked him were there any black people in the film since it was about pimps and prostitution and Ron says no. Eddie gave him a look of surprise and says "you made a movie about two pimps and you didnt put any black people in it ? I dont know whether to thank you or punch you in the face" It was a funny bit. I know it  was featured in the best of Eddie Murphy SNL skits. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/08 at 11:04 pm

"Night Shift" with Henry Winkler and Michael Keaton!  Great stuff! 32-year-old Shelly Long in her knickers!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/naughty.gif

Written By: Atari on 06/19/08 at 6:09 pm

It is a hard one to find.  I have the soundtrack on cassette, but I have been too lazy to put Rod's version to mp3.  I did put the Bacharach instrumental on mp3 :)

I found the entire soundtrack on a blog. If you do a Google search, you'll find it too :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/19/08 at 10:13 pm

Good film!

Written By: midnite on 06/19/08 at 11:02 pm

Anyone else love this movie?  Directed by Ron Howard (in his first major film as a director), it stars Henry Winkler and Michael Keaton as two Morgue workers on the night shift who become pimps and end up turning the morgue into a swinging business.  Shelley Long also appears as a hooker whom becomes the love interst for Winkler's character

Directed by Howard and starring Winkler, watch for other actors from the Happy Days family:  Gina Hecht (Mork and Mindy) who plays Winkler's fianceé and Jim Staahl (Mork and Mindy) who has a cameo as the bully in the club at the end

What I love best about this movie was the film's soundtrack by Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager.  It contains the original version of 'That's What Friends Are For' as sung by Rod Stewart and a beautiful instrumental version by Bacharach.  The title song to the film as performed by Quarterflash was the only original hit from the film, but the soundtrack houses such already hits as 'Everlasting Love' by Rufus, 'Penthouse and Pavement' by Heaven 17 and 'Talk Talk' by Talk Talk

http://bradleyparker.blogs.com/wheres_travis_mcgee/images/night_shift.jpg

Good movie. I havent seen it in a looong time.  And Talk Talk is an amazingly underated band.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/08 at 7:08 pm

Good movie. I havent seen it in a looong time.  And Talk Talk is an amazingly underated band.

This is very true!~

Check for new replies or respond here...