inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Naked Eyes Song - HELP!

Written By: Kajagoogootimes on 06/18/08 at 10:50 am

Okay, I've been looking for the original version of "Always Something There To Remind Me" everywhere but can't find it.

When I say original, I mean the version where the beginning bells and orchestra plays that familiar piece, however, WITHOUT drums. Know what I mean? The drums come in when the vocals begin. I hate how the beginning "fill" sets up the song. It's so much more effective without the drums until the vocals kick in.

It was on the original album put out, but not on the best of. Does anyone have access or can direct me to that version? Maybe email me an mp3 if you have it? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kaja

Subject: Re: Naked Eyes Song - HELP!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/08 at 11:01 pm

Okay, I've been looking for the original version of "Always Something There To Remind Me" everywhere but can't find it.

When I say original, I mean the version where the beginning bells and orchestra plays that familiar piece, however, WITHOUT drums. Know what I mean? The drums come in when the vocals begin. I hate how the beginning "fill" sets up the song. It's so much more effective without the drums until the vocals kick in.

It was on the original album put out, but not on the best of. Does anyone have access or can direct me to that version? Maybe email me an mp3 if you have it? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kaja

You might have to burn that from an old LP!
:P

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/20/08 at 5:48 am

Naked Eyes - Always Something There to Remind Me

http://www.zshare.net/audio/13916946a2e75da0/

I don't know if they did an extended version?
if not they should have!

;D ;D            :D :D :D        8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Written By: Midas on 06/20/08 at 1:05 pm

Naked Eyes - Always Something There to Remind Me

http://www.zshare.net/audio/13916946a2e75da0/

I don't know if they did an extended version?
if not they should have!

There are actually 2 extended versions out there.  I have a copy of the promo 12" that has the remix by John "Jellybean" Benitez clocking in at 5'41".  Another mix clocks in around 6'14".

The version you shared is not the version Kaja is looking for.

;D ;D            :D :D :D        8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Written By: Paul on 06/20/08 at 2:04 pm

If the version you're after was originally included on the LP then (as Max says) that may be your only source...

Without having the LP to hand, I can only assume that the track was remixed for single consumption...

And of course, as that was a major hit, then that's gonna be the version you'll find on compilations...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/08 at 6:38 pm

I'm almost certain the first Naked Eyes record was issued on CD.  You can probably find it online pretty easily. 

Some labels would issue maxi-singles with the LP version included, which I always thought was a waste of space.  If I like the song enough to buy a six-track maxi-single, chances are I bought the LP already!
::)

Written By: swinggal on 07/19/08 at 1:39 pm

The single I have only has the bells at the beginning and it's the same and only version I have ever heard on the radio.

Written By: whistledog on 07/19/08 at 7:40 pm

It could also be a case of different versions per release?  What was released in the US as a self-titled album, that first Naked Eyes album was released as "Burning Bridges" in the UK with different album artwork

An example of when this has happened before:  'Lay Your Hands on Me' by Thompson Twins was first issued as a single in the UK in 1984.  It was then remixed and released in North America in mid 1985, thus there is a UK Version and a US version

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/22/08 at 10:48 am

I thought you were going to say that they were the original group to record the song. :o

Someone told me that Naked Eyes was the original group to record that. Nope, its just a cover.

Written By: whistledog on 07/22/08 at 9:03 pm

I thought you were going to say that they were the original group to record the song. :o

Someone told me that Naked Eyes was the original group to record that. Nope, its just a cover.

Yep.  It's originally a Burt Bacharach composition.  Sandie Shaw had a hit with it in the late 60s, but I don't know if she was who first sang it

Check for new replies or respond here...