inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VH1 top 100 80's songs

Written By: johnny5alive on 06/19/08 at 9:20 am

here are the top ten from the show! kinda seems like a letterman top ten,  almost any of the other top ten should have been number 1      gimmie a break, bon jovi #1 ??? ::)   

100 Greatest 80's Songs #20-1
1. Bon Jovi / "Livin' on a Prayer"
2. Def Leppard / "Pour Some Sugar On Me"
3. Duran Duran / "Hungry Like the Wolf"
4. Michael Jackson / "Billie Jean"
5. Prince / "When Doves Cry"
6. Hall & Oates / "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)"
7. Guns N' Roses / "Sweet Child O' Mine"
8. Madonna / "Like a Virgin"
9. Run-D.M.C. / "Walk This Way"
10. AC/DC / "You Shook Me All Night Long" 

Subject: Re: VH1 top 100 80's songs

Written By: ninny on 06/19/08 at 10:26 am

here are the top ten from the show! kinda seems like a letterman top ten,  almost any of the other top ten should have been number 1      gimmie a break, bon jovi #1 ??? ::)   

100 Greatest 80's Songs #20-1
1. Bon Jovi / "Livin' on a Prayer"
2. Def Leppard / "Pour Some Sugar On Me"
3. Duran Duran / "Hungry Like the Wolf"
4. Michael Jackson / "Billie Jean"
5. Prince / "When Doves Cry"
6. Hall & Oates / "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)"
7. Guns N' Roses / "Sweet Child O' Mine"
8. Madonna / "Like a Virgin"
9. Run-D.M.C. / "Walk This Way"
10. AC/DC / "You Shook Me All Night Long" 

What was it based on? was it sales,or public opinion?..or was it how popular the video was?

Written By: woops on 06/19/08 at 11:53 am

It's supposedely based on VH1 viewer  votes.

Written By: ninny on 06/19/08 at 12:41 pm

It's supposedely based on VH1 viewer  votes.

Oh Ok,Thanks. :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/19/08 at 7:04 pm

#1 is pretty bad, but #2 is no better.  Def Leppard had better songs than "Pour Some Sugar On Me".

Written By: midnite on 06/19/08 at 11:09 pm

#1 is pretty bad, but #2 is no better.  Def Leppard had better songs than "Pour Some Sugar On Me".

I agree Miss Bug.  It appears to be popularity since Pour Some Sugar was extremely HUGE!   

No CC Catch or Modern Talking?  No Japan's Nightporter or Aha's Take On Me? =(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWXRHGyPLKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIzUD7FKcBk

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/20/08 at 7:54 pm

I agree Miss Bug.  It appears to be popularity since Pour Some Sugar was extremely HUGE!   

No CC Catch or Modern Talking?  No Japan's Nightporter or Aha's Take On Me? =(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWXRHGyPLKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIzUD7FKcBk

:) Karma for the Japan.  I cannot seem to open the second link, though

Written By: ninny on 06/21/08 at 8:11 am

I personally like Hysteria better..but Pour Some Sugar On Me was more popular, and I'm sure that's what the voting was based on.

Written By: tv on 06/21/08 at 11:05 am

Nothing wrong with "Bon Jovi" being on the list but Number 1? No and I thought the VH1's top songs of the 90's needed a do-ove

"Blue Monday" by New Order should have been in the Top 10 I think. "Blue Monday" is a good track.

Written By: Henk on 06/21/08 at 11:46 am

I cannot seem to open the second link, though

Neither can I. It says "This video is not available in your country". :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/08 at 6:35 pm

No U2 in the top 10? You gotta be kidding.  Bon Jovi "Living on a Prayer" is #1?
8-P

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/21/08 at 9:19 pm

This was the same bunch of voters that made the Macarena the #1 "One Hit Wonder". :o ::) :P

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/01/08 at 5:12 pm

This list actually wasn't as bad as the 90's one; at least all of the songs in the top 10 deserved to be on the list somewhere (can't say that about Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears...or even Whitney Houston on the 90's list). Bon jovi at #1 though? Hell no. 'Pour Some Sugar on me', while huge, was FAR from Def Leppards best (and besides, that was one of their later 80's hits...WHAT ABOUT PYROMANIA!?). Duran Duran should NOT have made the top 10 (their biggest song btw was 'The Reflex', not 'Hungry Like the Wolf'). If I had made this list, and not the average clueless VH1 watcher, it would look something like this:

1. Billie Jean (Michael Jackson)
2. Every Breath you Take (The Police)
3. When Doves Cry (Prince)
4. Sexual Healing (Marvin Gaye)
5. The Message (Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5)
6. Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns N' Roses)
7. Walk This Way (Run DMC and Aerosmith)
8. Like a Virgin (Madonna)
9. Don't You Want Me? (Human League)
10. Born in the USA (Bruce Springsteen)

I would definitely put 'With or Without you' in the top 20 somewhere

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/01/08 at 5:35 pm

I was kinda mixed on this list, but I like that it was more rock and new wave-oriented.

"Living on a Prayer" is one of my favorite rock songs (it's more of an arena anthem than hair metal), and I like how they mixed it up a little in comparison. I've seen so many of these countdowns over the years (as far back as 1992ish on VH1), and there's always a constant with the Top ten songs. You always know something from Michael Jackson is gonna be in the #1 list, and lots of Madonna songs.

Written By: Davester on 07/01/08 at 6:14 pm

That's what sucks about these polls.  They'd have a person thinking the best the decade had to offer was Prince, Madonna and Billy Ocean...

Written By: Fairee07 on 07/01/08 at 10:53 pm

1. Bon Jovi / "Livin' on a Prayer"----Song of encouragement. I give it a :) but don't absolutley love it.
2. Def Leppard / "Pour Some Sugar On Me"---Good song but prefer "Love Bites"
3. Duran Duran / "Hungry Like the Wolf"---Like the intro
4. Michael Jackson / "Billie Jean"---Overplayed
5. Prince / "When Doves Cry"---Interesting intro but again it's overplayed
6. Hall & Oates / "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)"---Okay but I would pick "One on One"
7. Guns N' Roses / "Sweet Child O' Mine"---Aah! One of my favorites when I was in my tweens so the song will always have a special place in my heart.
8. Madonna / "Like a Virgin"---Okay but she has better songs.
9. Run-D.M.C. / "Walk This Way"---Okay. Great to dance to after a few drinks.
10. AC/DC / "You Shook Me All Night Long"---Don't like it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/02/08 at 9:47 pm

These lists usually favor the most popular songs over some of the lesser known, and in some cases, better songs. It's all very predictable.

Just like every list of the top rock songs of all time has to have "Stairway To Heaven" and "Freebird" at the top, best songs of the '80s lists have to be topped with "Billie Jean" and "Like A Virgin".

Written By: robby76 on 07/02/08 at 11:31 pm

These lists usually favor the most popular songs over some of the lesser known, and in some cases, better songs. It's all very predictable.

Just like every list of the top rock songs of all time has to have "Stairway To Heaven" and "Freebird" at the top, best songs of the '80s lists have to be topped with "Billie Jean" and "Like A Virgin".

Agreed - I don't think these polls are meant to be the greatest written songs, but just the greatest mass appealing worldwide hit songs - in which case both this one and the one in the 90s thread hit the nail on the head. VH1 is a worldwide channel and they'd want to please as many people as possible. Plus people who watch them do it just for fun and the nostalgia. They're not meant to be taken too seriously.

Written By: 80srockboy on 07/03/08 at 4:26 pm

Anything by Bon Jovi

Written By: bee bee hornet on 07/07/08 at 1:08 am

Was this list actually published? Where is U2's  "Bloody Sunday"? And I distinctly remember that Psychedelic Furs "Melt with You" was the number one hit of the top 100 for the entire 80s decade - which, by the way, was considered New Wave for those of you who read it doesn't exist.

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/07/08 at 8:32 am

Was this list actually published? Where is U2's  "Bloody Sunday"? And I distinctly remember that Psychedelic Furs "Melt with You" was the number one hit of the top 100 for the entire 80s decade - which, by the way, was considered New Wave for those of you who read it doesn't exist.
I believe "Melt With You" by Modern English  ;)

Written By: KKay on 07/07/08 at 8:33 am

wow.  i don't really like any of them.

Written By: whistledog on 07/07/08 at 6:43 pm

Lists like these are always biased because everyone has different tastes.  With the exception of 'Hungry Like the Wolf", I probably wouldn't put any of those songs in my Top 100 favourites of the 80s

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/08 at 10:00 pm

That's what sucks about these polls.  They'd have a person thinking the best the decade had to offer was Prince, Madonna and Billy Ocean...

Hey don't diss B.O., that guy laid out a funky groove with "Caribbean Queen" and "Get Out of My Dreams (And Into My Car)"!
:-\\

8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...