inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who likes Phil Collins? Don't you think he fits the '80s really well too?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/19/08 at 4:09 pm

I've always been a pretty big fan of his (with Genesis and especially the solo stuff, like the whole No Jacket Required album). To me his music perfectly gels with the feeling of the '80s - bright, cheery and well-produced without taking itself too seriously. The upbeat songs were alot of fun (sort of bordering between dance and pop/rock), and the ballads were pleasant and still catchy.

Also, his videos were really good and tended to have the "creative" elements of the early MTV generation, like storylines and action or dialogue mixed into the song. They were humorous alot of the time too, and you could tell he had a good time making them.

Subject: Re: Who likes Phil Collins? Don't you think he fits the '80s really well too?

Written By: cinnabon on 06/19/08 at 4:51 pm

Yeah he had some pretty good songs in the 80s - among my favorites are:

I Don't Care Anymore
Sussudio
Take Me Home
Two Hearts
Groovy Kind of Love
Another Day in Paradise

Subject: Re: Who likes Phil Collins? Don't you think he fits the '80s really well too?

Written By: Atari on 06/19/08 at 6:09 pm

In The Air Tonight and I Missed Again are the only two songs I like from Phil's solo stuff. I guess after Abacab and Phil's first solo album, there isn't much about the 80s Genesis I really like.

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/19/08 at 7:17 pm

My favorites from Phil Collins/Genesis is pretty much all 80's.  :)

Easy Lover
Don't Lose My Number
Invisible Touch
Another Day in Paradise
I Wish It Would Rain Down
Take Me Home
I Don't Care Anymore (one of those "I'm in a bad mood" kind of songs  :D)
Misunderstanding

Written By: Bob on 06/19/08 at 7:42 pm

He's pretty good. He's easy to make fun of, but they're probably jealous. 8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/19/08 at 9:23 pm

I like his earlier music too.

I Don't Care Anymore
Sussudio
Take Me Home
Two Hearts
Groovy Kind of Love
Easy Lover
Don't Lose My Number
Invisible Touch
Don't Let Him Steal Your Heart Away
Against All Odds

Written By: Step-chan on 06/20/08 at 2:20 pm

I'm kinda inbetween when it comes to Phil Collins. Not really into his music, although his songs don't bother me either.

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/20/08 at 2:39 pm

I'd say I'm a fan of his music.  And you're right about him fitting right in with the 80's.  I think he and Genesis had a hard time breaking away from that sound after the 80's, which would explain their limited success since then.  Although I do remember liking a few songs from their 1992 (?) album, We Can't Dance.

Favorite Genesis/Phil Collins songs:

Groovy Kind of Love
In The Air Tonight
Another Day in Paradise
You Can't Hurry Love
Jesus He Knows Me
No Son Of Mine
One More Night
Against All Odds
Invisible Touch

Written By: Bob on 06/20/08 at 6:03 pm

I have his music on my iPod, but I don't listen to it much.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/08 at 7:04 pm

I'd say I'm a fan of his music.  And you're right about him fitting right in with the 80's.  I think he and Genesis had a hard time breaking away from that sound after the 80's, which would explain their limited success since then.  Although I do remember liking a few songs from their 1992 (?) album, We Can't Dance.

Favorite Genesis/Phil Collins songs:

Groovy Kind of Love
In The Air Tonight
Another Day in Paradise
You Can't Hurry Love
Jesus He Knows Me
No Son Of Mine
One More Night
Against All Odds
Invisible Touch

Right on. :) Yeah I love "Invisible Touch" the most out of anything he ever sang on (for solo songs, it's probably a tossup between "Two Hearts" and "Don't Lose My Number"). Something about it just makes you feel happy, and it reminds me of being 6 years old, lol.

Yeah, I liked Genesis' We Cant Dance album too (it still sounded pretty 80s). Alot of those songs were pretty powerful and sad, like "No Son of Mine", but still catchy.

Written By: johnny5alive on 06/21/08 at 12:45 am

i always  thought "one more night"  was his best work! ;)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/21/08 at 7:49 am

Strangely enough, I prefer the 80s Genesis output over Phil Collins solo.  Overall, Collins solo seemed more pop oriented whereas Genesis as a group retained a bit of the prog rock feel, at least in the beginning.

A couple of his I really liked: "I Don't Care Anymore" and "Don't Lose My Number".

Written By: ninny on 06/21/08 at 7:59 am

I love Phil Collins
Fav solos of the 80's

In The Air Tonight
I Missed Again
Only You know And I Know
Take Me Home
I Don't Care Anymore
One More Night
But my 2 all time favs are ...I Wish It would Rain Down..and my wedding song ...Groovy Kind of Love :)

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/21/08 at 8:19 am

He Single - Handedly Ruined Genisis!
At Least "Fat Bastard" had hair!

Written By: ninny on 06/21/08 at 9:26 am

He Single - Handedly Ruined Genisis!
At Least "Fat Bastard" had hair!

They may not have been the progressive band they were with Hackett and Gabriel..but you can't deny he made them more popular,by mainstreaming the songs,more people got a chance to hear the band.

Written By: gibbo on 06/21/08 at 9:27 am

I liked both his Genesis period and his solo. He was as big as they come in the 80's as far as singer songwrighters went.......

I always liked his In The Air Tonight solo hit (which would have been one of his first)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/08 at 6:28 pm

In The Air Tonight and I Missed Again are the only two songs I like from Phil's solo stuff. I guess after Abacab and Phil's first solo album, there isn't much about the 80s Genesis I really like.

"In the Air Tonight" is a great song.  Phil Collins has a great legacy coming from Genesis and Brian Eno.  I'm more of a Peter Gabriel fan talking solo stuff.

Written By: Zelek2 on 05/18/16 at 1:33 am

My favorite albums by Genesis are Duke, Abacab, and the S/T. My favorite song from them is the title track of Abacab. I always equated it with driving on a lonely road late at night, with the stereo turned up high. There's a certain mystery to it.

ntpP3KQXnCk

Written By: Howard on 05/18/16 at 2:29 pm

I like Phil Collins, I think he fits the 80's pretty well.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/18/16 at 5:55 pm

Phil Collins is definitely one of the most talented pop artists of all time, even though I essentially see his work with Genesis from And Then There Were Three onwards as completely separate from the Peter Gabriel era, plus the first two albums with Collins as the lead vocalist.

Ironically, I actually think Collins' best song was "Everyday" from 1993's Both Sides. It has an absolutely gorgeous intro and a flowing, elegant progression that's hard not to get entranced by. "In the Air Tonight" is a very close second, however.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/16 at 2:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr-SNCtoyPk

Written By: Redhairkid on 05/20/16 at 5:13 pm

I love Phil Collins! Talented and down to earth, despite his background.

Phil favourites:
Groovy Kind Of Love
You Can't Hurry Love
2 Hearts
Against All Odds
Like China (really exaggerated London accent on this, quite amusing)
Find A Way To My Heart
I Don't Wanna Know

Genesis favourites:
Invisible Touch
Tell Me Why
Fading Lights
No Son Of Mine

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/16 at 5:55 pm

My favorites are (either solo or with Genesis):

-In The Air Tonight (always wanted to choreograph a dance to that song but never did.)
-Against All Odds
-Another Day in Paradise

And these two which no one else said they like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1oKVm_qiYg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHmH1xQ2Pf4

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/21/16 at 7:16 am

My favorites are (either solo or with Genesis):

-In The Air Tonight (always wanted to choreograph a dance to that song but never did.)
-Against All Odds
-Another Day in Paradise

And these two which no one else said they like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1oKVm_qiYg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHmH1xQ2Pf4

Cat

Those are my favorites too.

Written By: Redhairkid on 05/21/16 at 12:05 pm

I also like 'Easy Lover'.

Check for new replies or respond here...