inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The WORST 80's hairbands?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/22/08 at 9:32 am

Now I know many of the bands didn't get big until around 1990 - 1991, but ALL of them put at least one album out in the 80's (even if it wasn't until the 90's that their mediocrety really started to get noticeable). Personally, I think Firehouse is pretty fudgeing awful, and is my choice for the worst here, though Poison (especially that oblivious has-been Bret Michaels), Warrant, Winger, and Slaughter all come close. I like Motley Crue, Ratt, and Whitesnake to an extent, but I put those up there because I know they've had their flaws. I can already guess who'll be the most hated though  ;D (...cool drink of water such a sweet surprise!)

Subject: Re: The WORST 80's hairbands?

Written By: cinnabon on 06/22/08 at 4:51 pm

There's not much hairband music I don't like but I voted for Faster Pussycat by mere virtue of the fact that they covered Carly Simon's You're So Vain.

Written By: Bob on 06/22/08 at 6:00 pm

Probably Warrant. ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/22/08 at 7:20 pm

Slaughter. That lead singer's voice is like fingernails scratching across a chalkboard, only worse.  8-P

Written By: whistledog on 06/22/08 at 7:23 pm

Most hairbands get my bote, but the one I really couldn't stand was Cinderella.  Why would you name your heavy metal band after a girlie children's movie?

Nothing says heavy metal like a princess who seeks her prince

Written By: Step-chan on 06/22/08 at 8:48 pm

I voted Poison, although there are a few more that I could list.

Written By: ninny on 06/22/08 at 9:40 pm

Britny Fox

Written By: Atari on 06/22/08 at 9:53 pm

Vinnie Vincent Invasion was by far the worst. Vinnie was good in Kiss, but in VVI his playing was total overkill. And on top of that, he had the two biggest douchebags in rock in his band, Mark Slaughter and Dana Strum, who went on to form the second worst hair metal band, Slaughter!

Actually, my vote would be for another one not on this list, Pretty Boy Floyd, by virtue that they just plain SUCKED.

Written By: SpaceHog on 06/23/08 at 10:07 am

Extreme.

The reason?

More than words. A song which if it had been recorded with drums and the like, could have been a bigger smash. No, instead they had to record it accoustic. I have the single, and the remix is just the same song with no other effects added to it.

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/08 at 7:25 pm

Extreme.

The reason?

More than words. A song which if it had been recorded with drums and the like, could have been a bigger smash. No, instead they had to record it accoustic. I have the single, and the remix is just the same song with no other effects added to it.

'More Than Words' was a US #1 hit.  How much bigger can it get than that? ;D

Written By: woops on 06/24/08 at 7:52 pm

Nelson... atleast Warrant's "Heaven" wasn't that bad and the video for "Cherry Pie" has a hot model

Written By: Atari on 06/24/08 at 9:42 pm

Nelson... atleast Warrant's "Heaven" wasn't that bad and the video for "Cherry Pie" has a hot model

Heaven was horrible. What was up with those white leather outfits? And ugly Jani Lane winking at the camera at the end? BLAH.

Nelson's video had that chick from Weird Science in it. I forget her name, but she was the brunette that Wyatt ended up bagging. She was pretty hot.

Written By: Davester on 06/24/08 at 10:23 pm

Hairmetal - David Coverdale nails it: the MTV deluge alienated the hardcore...

Check this out.  It part 6 of a VH1 doc but it touches upon hair's dowfall and the rise of the garage stuff...

It's funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWaP9pkdKbQ

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/26/08 at 11:05 pm

As embarrassing as it is, I actually like most of these bands. :-X

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/26/08 at 11:35 pm

This is probably the worst hairband I have ever seen:

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_79bWRIDSYBxF.jzbkF/SIG=127ga59t3/EXP=1214627709/**http%3A//img227.imageshack.us/img227/8192/head6mi.png

Written By: whistledog on 06/26/08 at 11:38 pm

This is probably the worst hairband I have ever seen:

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_79bWRIDSYBxF.jzbkF/SIG=127ga59t3/EXP=1214627709/**http%3A//img227.imageshack.us/img227/8192/head6mi.png

That is pretty bad ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/26/08 at 11:38 pm

That is pretty bad ;D

damn straight. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/26/08 at 11:44 pm

There's nothing embarassing about that :)

The starter of this thread has a very biased opinion.  Some of the bands in this poll I really like as well, and find nothing wrong with them

Written By: Davester on 06/27/08 at 12:18 am

The starter of this thread has a very biased opinion.  Some of the bands in this poll I really like as well, and find nothing wrong with them

I hear ya.  I'm as susceptible as anyone to a toe tapper, catchy hook or fake angst ridden youth anthem (ala Lep).  Hair had it's place.  After all, they don't make 'em unless we're buyen' 'em.  I don't know if you watched my clip but Dee Snider says that the rock fans wanted less fake happy-joy and more real foreboding.  An "edge" as Snider calls it...

Hey "edge", wher'd ya go..?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/27/08 at 8:41 am

See, here's the problem with what you said. Not everyone has to agree with you. I don't like many of these bands (though I admit Motley Crue and Twisted Sister are pretty good), and just because I didn't live through it doesn't mean I have no right to dislike it. HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TELL YOU? I have records, I've watched documentaries, I have friends and family that got me exposed to all sorts of music that I wasn't around for. I'VE HEARD MORE THAN ENOUGH OF ALL TYPES OF 80'S MUSIC TO KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. But that's not why you're calling me out, no, because if I actually liked Duran Duran or Boy George you'd probably say how cool I am for my age. You just don't like the fact that your views of music don't coincide with mine. I like thrash, so what? That doesn't give you the right to invade my thread and make it some sort of joke. You're fudgeing trying to drive me away from this site because I'm not like you, and I'm fudgeing glad I'm not like you. I also hate how Quirk is now in on this, since I actually thought he had some intelligent posts...So really, you're not calling me out because of my age, you're calling me out because of my opinions...what are you the thought police? And I could really care less if you're a moderator, because that only makes you seem like even more of an elitist.

Written By: SpaceHog on 06/27/08 at 8:53 am

What about the band Enuff Z'nuff? They were horrible.

Written By: Gis on 06/27/08 at 8:59 am

See, here's the problem with what you said. Not everyone has to agree with you. I don't like many of these bands (though I admit Motley Crue and Twisted Sister are pretty good), and just because I didn't live through it doesn't mean I have no right to dislike it. HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TELL YOU? I have records, I've watched documentaries, I have friends and family that got me exposed to all sorts of music that I wasn't around for. I'VE HEARD MORE THAN ENOUGH OF ALL TYPES OF 80'S MUSIC TO KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. But that's not why you're calling me out, no, because if I actually liked Duran Duran or Boy George you'd probably say how cool I am for my age. You just don't like the fact that your views of music don't coincide with mine. I like thrash, so what? That doesn't give you the right to invade my thread and make it some sort of joke. You're fudging trying to drive me away from this site because I'm not like you, and I'm fudging glad I'm not like you. I also hate how Quirk is now in on this, since I actually thought he had some intelligent posts...So really, you're not calling me out because of my age, you're calling me out because of my opinions...what are you the thought police? And I could really care less if you're a moderator, because that only makes you seem like even more of an elitist.
No he's right, you are biased and it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with your age. I don't like a lot of music but I can appreciate whether it is well written, or well played or that it makes other people happy, you obvoiusly can't and that makes you biased. Just because YOU don't like a genre of music you think it should be slagged off at every opportunity and you shout down anyone who likes it, exactly what you are ranting that Whistledog is meant to have done here infact. I find on these boards people have an open mind and agree to differ on their tastes, be it music, films whatever. If you can't do that then you are only ever going to p*ss people off.

Oh and Quirk is a she not a he.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/27/08 at 10:13 am

No he's right, you are biased and it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with your age. I don't like a lot of music but I can appreciate whether it is well written, or well played or that it makes other people happy, you obvoiusly can't and that makes you biased. Just because YOU don't like a genre of music you think it should be slagged off at every opportunity and you shout down anyone who likes it, exactly what you are ranting that Whistledog is meant to have done here infact. I find on these boards people have an open mind and agree to differ on their tastes, be it music, films whatever. If you can't do that then you are only ever going to p*ss people off.

I'm sorry Quirk  :(

And Gis, I'm sorry for coming across as a hypocrite, I guess I'm not good at clarifying either :D. To be honest, I make threads like this to hear other people's opinions rather than to reflect my own (notice how I put Motley Crue, Ratt, and Twisted Sister here even though I like all of them). I actually like some late 80's hairband songs too (such as 'Wait' by White Lion) but for the most part I dislike the genre as a whole, and think bands like Poison and Warrant couldn't write original songs to save their lives , since they all followed the exact same formula that every other hairband used. I even like a few disco songs like 'That's the Way I Like it' and 'Disco Inferno' as well but, like hairmetal, the genre as a whole suffers from monotony. I never meant to make sweeping generalizations, and I guess I should have made it clear that I wasn't ripping on EVERY ASPECT of disco and hairmetal. I'll even acknowledge that without disco the 80's probably would have been far less dance oriented (and therefore little to no Michael Jackson  :\'(), and that without hairmetal grunge probably wouldn't be embraced the way it was and the 90's would have ended up far different. Oh, and on that note, I think I'll take this time to say that, in my opinion, late 80's hairmetal like Winger should be separate from early-mid 80's glam metal like Quiet Riot, only because the latter actually was consistently good and the former, while having some rare gems, suffered.

Written By: Gis on 06/27/08 at 10:24 am

I'm sorry Quirk  :(

And Gis, I'm sorry for coming across as a hypocrite, I guess I'm not good at clarifying either :D. To be honest, I make threads like this to hear other people's opinions rather than to reflect my own (notice how I put Motley Crue, Ratt, and Twisted Sister here even though I like all of them). I actually like some late 80's hairband songs too (such as 'Wait' by White Lion) but for the most part I dislike the genre as a whole, and think bands like Poison and Warrant couldn't write original songs to save their lives , since they all followed the exact same formula that every other hairband used. I even like a few disco songs like 'That's the Way I Like it' and 'Disco Inferno' as well but, like hairmetal, the genre as a whole suffers from monotony. I never meant to make sweeping generalizations, and I guess I should have made it clear that I wasn't ripping on EVERY ASPECT of disco and hairmetal. I'll even acknowledge that without disco the 80's probably would have been far less dance oriented (and therefore little to no Michael Jackson  :\'(), and that without hairmetal grunge probably wouldn't be embraced the way it was and the 90's would have ended up far different. Oh, and on that note, I think I'll take this time to say that, in my opinion, late 80's hairmetal like Winger should be separate from early-mid 80's glam metal like Quiet Riot, only because the latter actually was consistently good and the former, while having some rare gems, suffered.
You make a couple of good points here, I also think that the hair metal explosion led to grunge. Probably in the same way disco led to punk, I think any popular genre of music leads to a backlash. I also agree that hair metal, or glam metal as we called it over here in the U.K evolved as it went along. I admit even as a fan of the music there were some shockingly bad bands about, more I think to do with the record companies jumping on the bandwagon and signing up any band that looked right irrespective of whether they could actually play or not!

It seemed at the time that in America you had to either be into Thrash or Glam but you couldn't like both, yet in the U.K the fan base was more cross over. I have even heard bands comment on that fact. I used to deliberatly go to say an Anthrax gig in a Faster Pussycat t-shirt and visa versa, just to show I had a wide taste! ;D
Would you say that is still the case with the different genres of rock music in America?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/27/08 at 12:27 pm

thanks darling. :-* Oh, and btw (as per VegettoVa90's comment about me)...I am intelligent and so are my posts/threads. I just like to have a bit of fun every now and then. ;) It's nothing for anyone to get their panties in a bunch over.

Written By: fusefan on 06/27/08 at 12:35 pm

Same here man.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/29/08 at 6:26 am

I just picked one at random: Ratt.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/08 at 1:20 am

I voted for Damn Yankees on account of "Cherry Pie," but in retro, I'd have to go with Extreme for etching "More Than Words" into my brain in 1992!  God, that's one of the most annoying songs ever written!
8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...