inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you feel bad for Kip Winger?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/27/08 at 11:13 am

In Beavis and Butthead, the loser that wanted to fit in with aforementioned main characters always wore a Winger shirt, and Butthead would always call them wusses. In the Metallica video for 'Nothing Else Matters' the band was seen throwing darts at a picture of Kip Winger. It all boils down to Winger's third album 'Pull' flopping in 1993 after Beavis and Butthead debuted that year and Metallica were sitting on top of the world. Kip Winger's career was essentially ruined. Now I don't really like Winger, but I'll admit they were damn good musicians (even if many of their songs weren't very good) that, in my opinion, could probably destroy Metallica in terms of skill any day, and there were many other hairbands, such as Nelson, Warrant, Poison, etc. that were far worse and should have been ridiculed A LOT more.

Subject: Re: Do you feel bad for Kip Winger?

Written By: Davester on 06/27/08 at 1:24 pm

Winger was never a critically acclaimed act.  They had real talent, I agree...

I ate their first two albums and had the opportunity to see them when they opened for Cinderella in '89.  Amazing live band!  Their songs are so hooky it's obscene.  So much energy..!

No, I don't feel bad for Kip & the boys but Pull was disappointing...

Written By: Gis on 06/27/08 at 1:51 pm

He did love himself just a little too much..................

Written By: woops on 06/27/08 at 2:51 pm

Though I'll admit that the song "Seventeen" is catchy, the lyrics and the song title is creepy and just plain wrong. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/27/08 at 3:38 pm

Though I'll admit that the song "Seventeen" is catchy, the lyrics and the song title is creepy and just plain wrong. 

Oh the irony. Coming from a 23-year old grown guy who watches shows aimed at little girls. ;)

Anyway...I think Stewart and his Winger shirt is a PERFECT example of the '80s backlash during the grunge era. He seemed like a good enough kid, but kinda naive and nerdy in a goody-two shoes way (i.e. he probably didn't really know what was "cool"), which is why Beavis and Butthead picked on him. I love that show too.

I'm not a big Winger fan, but they are better than they get credit for. I wouldn't be surprised if B&BH killed their credibility even more. Actually I think they were the best of the latter-hair bands, and Kip seems like a good musician too. I think their In the Heart of the Young album from 1992 was better actually. "Miles Away" is one of the best power ballads (it has a unique, more sweeping pop sound) and "Rainbow in the Rose" and "Easy Come Easy Go" are good hard rock songs.

Written By: KKay on 06/27/08 at 4:03 pm

maybe all the abuse comes from his silly name.

Written By: Atari on 06/27/08 at 5:06 pm

maybe all the abuse comes from his silly name.

Well, if your real name was Charles Von Winger, you'd probably change it too :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/28/08 at 12:42 am

I'm not there biggest fan, but they do have some songs that are pretty cool. I like "Seventeen", "Miles Away", and "Headed For A Heartbreak".

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/28/08 at 7:42 pm

I was never a fan of Winger, just never got into their music. I have some memories of a duet Winger did with a singer named Fiona (not Fiona Apple, this was a completely different singer) that was pretty good, but that was about it. It really didn't surprise me that Winger was a target of ridicule on "Beavis and Butthead", although at times I admit to feeling sorry for Stewart.  ;D

Written By: Atari on 06/28/08 at 9:19 pm

I was never a fan of Winger, just never got into their music. I have some memories of a duet Winger did with a singer named Fiona (not Fiona Apple, this was a completely different singer) that was pretty good, but that was about it. It really didn't surprise me that Winger was a target of ridicule on "Beavis and Butthead", although at times I admit to feeling sorry for Stewart.  ;D

Yeah, I saw that Fiona video a few years ago... You're Sexing Me or something... not a bad tune, actually...

Written By: johnny5alive on 06/28/08 at 10:28 pm

ummm,  who? :o

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/28/08 at 11:47 pm

ummm,  who? :o

Winger.  You know, the band that Beatallica was making fun of in For Horsemen, and Hey Dude!

Beatallica was my favorite surprise of 2004.  It's exactly what it sounds like -- a Metallica tribute band doing parodies of Beatles songs, and doing them so well that the litigious Lars "Napster Bad" Ulrich asked his own lawyers to defend the parodists against the equally-litigious landsharks from the conglomerate that claims ownership of the Beatles' library.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/29/08 at 12:00 am

I wasn't a huge fan but I liked some of his stuff.  I think maybe he got picked on because he was one of the more "pretty" hair metal bands.  Maybe if he scarred himself up a little, he'd have gotten more respect.  ???  :P

Written By: Davester on 06/29/08 at 1:08 am

Rhino did a remastered CD of a bunch of Winger songs.  I don't want to call it a greatest hits but that's what it is.  Winger recorded one new song for the release, called "On the Inside", which is my new favorite by them...

His name?  The winger part or the kip part?  I've known guys named kip...

Written By: Atari on 06/29/08 at 3:29 am

Winger.  You know, the band that Beatallica was making fun of in For Horsemen, and Hey Dude!

Beatallica was my favorite surprise of 2004.  It's exactly what it sounds like -- a Metallica tribute band doing parodies of Beatles songs, and doing them so well that the litigious Lars "Napster Bad" Ulrich asked his own lawyers to defend the parodists against the equally-litigious landsharks from the conglomerate that claims ownership of the Beatles' library.

Hahahaha! Beatallica rules! The BEST song is "Got To Get You Trapped Under Ice:"

You are in Hell, you're in a shell
Only ice iz what you'll find there
A frozen core, can't take no more
You'll freeze right out your f***in' mind there

OOOOOH!! Then I suddenly see you
OOOOOH!! Did I tell you I'll freeze you
Every single day of your life?

What can you do, what can you see?
All they have iz M-TV there
Can't move at all, can't hear your call
Bananarama'z all they play there

OOOOOH!! You were meant to be freezing
OOOOOH!! Crystallized and you're sneezing
No one knowz or hearz what you say

Got to get you trapped under ice!

You cannot run, you cannot hide
Cuz the ice securely holdz you
Wrapped up tight, can't move, break free
Hand of Doom iz so f***in' cold, ooooooh!

OOOOOH!! Then I suddenly see you
OOOOOH!! Did I tell you I'll freeze you
Every single day in the ice?

Got to get you trapped under ice!

And all of the OOOOHs sound like Hetfield! Those guys are geniuses!

Written By: Lindee on 06/29/08 at 10:36 am

Well, if your real name was Charles Von Winger, you'd probably change it too :)

His real name is Charles Frederick Kip Winger.

Written By: johnny5alive on 06/29/08 at 11:01 pm

...............  umm  no i dont???

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/01/08 at 8:24 pm

Me too, lol. Even though he was a little nerdy and naive, it's like you know he tried his best to make friends and be cool, yet Beavis and Butthead still made fun of him.

Come to think, that's sort of how that gangmember guy Todd was with them. I always thought it was funny how he could tease and beat them up, and they'd still say "Huh huhhuh, Todd rules!" ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...