inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Living on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi (1987)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/01/08 at 8:37 pm

This has always been one of my absolute favorites, just a catchy mid-to uptempo song that makes you feel good. It actually has a positive, uplifting message too, about staying together and making it through the hard times with someone you love. Definitely not typical hair metal lyrics, and I think it sounds closer to arena style pop/rock too, like Survivor or Night Ranger.

The only thing that really seems typical hairbandish was how the guys looked at the time!

Subject: Re: "Living on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi (1987)

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/01/08 at 8:44 pm

I've always loved this song! I was in 3rd grade when "Livin' On a Prayer" was a number one hit. Back then the radio was my best friend because 3rd grade was an awfully crappy year for me, and this particular song played in very heavy rotation. In fact, this song was played quite frequently all throughout 1987 and well into 1988 (at least on the radio station I was listening to at the time). Considering how bad 3rd grade was, I could sort of relate to the lyrics.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/01/08 at 8:54 pm

Definitely a "guilty pleasure" for me. My parents were both still into current music then, and my dad got Slippery When Wet on vinyl  about a year or so after it came out. They listened to it all the time when I was really little so, even though this was maybe 3 or 4 years after the song came out, listening to "Living On A Prayer" has always made me really nostalgic. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/01/08 at 9:10 pm

Yeah, my mom who was 33 at the time, bought that Slippery When Wet tape and was really into them back then. That's how I knew about it, so I have lots of cool memories of that song. It was weird because it was louder and heavier than anything I had heard (well give me a break, I was 6 ;D ), but I guess I liked it pretty quick just because it's so catchy.

The funny thing is that my dad initially didn't dig it and kinda made fun of it (in a lighthearted, teasing way) for being noisy and stuff...but he eventually warmed to it.

P.S. I know what you mean Coqueta. I think songs can be comforting when you're going through a hard time 'cause it's like the idea that someone else is feeling the same way. My middle school years were kinda lousy too.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/08 at 9:19 pm

It was too much to bear at the time of its omnipresence.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/01/08 at 10:23 pm

I liked this song maybe the first 100 times I heard it...but they overplay it way too much. Speaking of Bon Jovi songs...I like, "I'll Be There For You" and "Born To Be My Baby" a LOT better.

Written By: eugoldlareg on 07/02/08 at 12:27 pm

I wasn't a Bon Jovi fan when this came out, but I kinda liked this song, and still do.  I think it had to do with Richie Sambora rocking the talkbox on it.

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/02/08 at 1:41 pm

I can't stand this song, the album or Bon Jovi in general.  Sorry, Jason.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/02/08 at 6:57 pm

I can't stand this song, the album or Bon Jovi in general.  Sorry, Jason.

Jesse actually lol. ;) It's cool though.

Yeah I can see how huge songs like that could get old. I heard it all the time in the late '80s and I was just a little kid. It was probably on the radio or in someone's stereo every five seconds back then. ;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/02/08 at 8:16 pm

Jesse actually lol. ;) It's cool though.

Yeah I can see how huge songs like that could get old. I heard it all the time in the late '80s and I was just a little kid. It was probably on the radio or in someone's stereo every five seconds back then. ;D
:-was on every 5 seconds.  The worst thing about that song is that everyone wants to sing it (and on the top of their lungs, no less - I shudder!) 

Subject: Re: "Livin' On A Prayer" by Bon Jovi (1986)

Written By: Midas on 07/03/08 at 9:20 am

Slippery When Wet was released in 1986 and radio was playing "You Give Love A Bad Name" and "Livin' On A Prayer" here.  Both good Bon Jovi songs, although my faves are "Runaway" (1984), "Bad Medicine" and "Born To Be My Baby" (both 1988).

Written By: Gis on 07/03/08 at 9:28 am

I loved the album. whilst it was pretty big here in the U.K it wasn't on every 5 seconds so it hasn't grown unbearable for me thankfully. Now celine Dion - My heart will go on is another story. ;D

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/03/08 at 10:51 am

I remember whenever I'd be driving with my mom several years ago she'd always put it on an 80's station where Bon Jovi was in heavy rotation. To be honest I like 'Wanted Dead or Alive' more, but 'Living on a Prayer' is one of the quintessential 80's rock songs, so it's probably the Bon Jovi song you're likely to hear first. Marty, I can see why this'd be one of your favorites if your parents played it for you when you were young, I got into Nirvana really quick when my dad played 'Smells like Teen Spirit' when I was like 4  :) (I obviously didn't understand the lyrics, just as many of you still don't  :D, but it was just so damn catchy and loud - I loved it!).

Written By: 80srockboy on 07/03/08 at 4:24 pm

classic ;D :D

Check for new replies or respond here...