inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: There is no such thing as New Wave

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/01/08 at 8:44 pm

bold words indeed.. and kind of true

http://www.vimeo.com/984878

discuss please!

Subject: Re: There is no such thing as New Wave

Written By: johnny5alive on 07/01/08 at 8:56 pm

bold words indeed.. and kind of true

http://www.vimeo.com/984878

discuss please!
.................................  nothing to discuss really, just a waste of internet space!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/08 at 9:07 pm

New Wave subsequent to it's peak in 1981/1982 has been convolated with, like the man said, it was a dumping ground for anything that was not MOR rock or disco or punk. 

I could say just about the same thing for punk.  You need more to create a substantive subculture than just punk band allegience and cosmetic/sartorial shibboleths! 

My parents' counterculture was informed by the likes of Rudolf Steiner, Buckminster Fuller, and Fritz Perls.  The Flower Children were informed by John Lennon, Timothy Leary, and Lenny Bruce.

Punks were informed by...Other punks...and maybe Noam Chomsky Cliff's Notes."
::)

Whereas...

Punk was an angry fist in the face of authority,

New Wave was essentially a pop-postmodernism. 

Punks saw the authority as the principal.  New Wave saw the authority as ourselves. 

WE ARE DEVO...D-E-V-O!

Consequently New Wave incorporated a lot more irony, spoof, and sarcasm, which required a more sophisticated listener.

A song like "Our House" by Madness still qualifies as New Wave by legacy of the sub-subculture Ska, which is, although founded in Jamaica, a cousin of both Reggae and right-wing Skinheads!

A lot of these bands would change their style, so Spadau Ballet turned to crooning, Talk Talk turned to weird drones, and Ministry turned to chickensh*t heroin-shooting music!

Written By: KKay on 07/02/08 at 9:02 am

if that's true, then what was I doing for those ten years?

http://usera.imagecave.com/kgilmartin/promgood-copy-copy.jpg

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/02/08 at 9:39 am

if that's true, then what was I doing for those ten years?

http://usera.imagecave.com/kgilmartin/promgood-copy-copy.jpg

most people don't even consider the New Wave era to have lasted more than five years... so I couldn't tell ya >grin<

.................................   nothing to discuss really, just a waste of internet space!

You honestly think I'm just posting random crap to my own site... c'mon man.  dig a little deeper.

MawelleSmart is on the same wavelength here.  Check out what "New Wave" is applied to for music.  It's not a descriptive term for the music that is often labeled as.  Do the Pretenders, Duran Duran and Thomas Dolby really sound alike?  How about Greg Kihn or Nick Lowe? 

I've heard that New Wave is supposed to refer to the second wave of British bands becoming popular due to Mtv playing them in 1981 & 1982.  However a lot of the groups that get lumped into that category aren't even British.  It's more of a marketing term, like why Gen-X, Gen-Y are invented.  We don't know what to call it, so we'll make something up so we can do that very human response of trying to label everything.  Like "Alternative Music".  Alternative music used to mean outside the mainstream.  You really think U2 or REM are outside of the mainstream?

Written By: johnny5alive on 07/02/08 at 11:44 pm

You honestly think I'm just posting random crap to my own site... c'mon man.  dig a little deeper.,,,,,,,,,...........................................  i guess what i mean to say is, a waste of internet space, as in where you found it!  not once you posted it here! :)  new wave was the music that was when punk met pop rock and roll, with a bit of british twist as well! that about  covers it! oh and  for the record, i loved it!

Written By: KKay on 07/03/08 at 7:21 am

the big debate as i knew it was that "new wave" did not use guitars.  my friends have been discussing this for years.  but i have to say that OMD is new wave...and adam and the ants.  and monochrome set.....but B52s?

Written By: 80srockboy on 07/03/08 at 4:25 pm

new wave does not exist.

Written By: Davester on 07/04/08 at 4:51 am

and Ministry turned to chickensh*t heroin-shooting music!

Ministry returned to what they set out to do in the first place.  Jorgenson has railed, many times, against the label for pushing the schlock.  "Everyday is Halloween" is NOT Ministry... :)

new wave does not exist.

Thanks for the rousing prose...

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/04/08 at 9:39 am

Right, so the 80's more or less didn't happen  ::)

Written By: johnny5alive on 07/04/08 at 10:17 am

new wave does not exist.
....................................   well actually it did exist back in the 80's! ;D  and i still have the records to prove it! :D

Written By: ChEcKeReD DeMoN on 07/05/08 at 8:37 am

A lot of good points made  :)

As I remember the 'New Wave' stuff in the late 70's and early 80's as a kid who lived
for music, America was going through changes politically and culturally. We only
heard of the sEx PisT0Ls through CREEM magazine and other slightly hip publications.
Other than the Ramones, punk was only something a few people knew about from listening
to college radio. Stadium Rock was on its last legs but AOR radio was still pushing the
Foriegner-Eagles-Zep-Boston stuff into the ground. The mainstream listening public, many
of who were still listening to AM mono radios in their Pintos and Vegas were getting a taste
of the changing cultural climate with bands like The Knack, The Cars, Blondie etc....
Pretty mainstream stuff now, but putting it in context with the times it was in fact a Wave
of New and very different stuff way outside the prevailing Classic Rock format .
Categorizing is debatable but if I was to think of 'New Wave' I would say DEVO, Gary Neuman,
B-52's, Kraftwerk for a few. Any band that the skinny tied Casio player was more prominent than
the super tuff guitar god type image we were so used to. Later when more stuff starting coming
out the genre was divided up and put into more definable catagories by all-knowing, hip and wise
Rolling Stone magazine type writers ie; Punk, hardcore, ska, etc so the term just sort of went away
only to be conjured up for debate decades later and the reason there is no such thing as New Wave ;)

Well, thats my unscientific and boorish opinion !

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/01/08 at 1:26 am

new wave does not exist.

Well I disagree But I wish "Hippo-Hop" & "Rap" Never Existed!!!!!

You Can't Spell "Crap" without Rap!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/01/08 at 1:36 am

Ministry returned to what they set out to do in the first place.  Jorgenson has railed, many times, against the label for pushing the schlock.  "Everyday is Halloween" is NOT Ministry... :)

Thanks for the rousing prose...

"Everyday Is Halloween" is too Ministry!  That was closer to the Ministry I met with a vidweo called "Effigy"!

And Dirty Al was s'dam smug about it...I mean for him to pull that wann-be G. G. Allin act right after shows he is not a nice man.
8-P

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/02/08 at 7:21 am

Ministry did some rare gems I really liked...."So So Life"..."Hizbolla"...& a fired up version of Peter Murphy's
"The Light Pours out of Me"
If you don't believe "every day is halloween" was theirs check the discography!

Written By: Bobby on 08/02/08 at 9:32 am

New Wave certainly did exist but I believe it was primarily a British thing rather than a US thing, despite it's impact on the US at the second invasion.

UK bands like Eurythmics, The Stranglers, Altered Images, Bronski Beat, Tears For Fears, Beluis Some, Classix Nouveau, China Crisis, Depeche Mode, Level 42 (to some extent), Talk Talk, Visage, Yazoo, Human League, OMD (Orchestral Maneauvres in the Dark), Thompson Twins, Blancmange, Nik Kershaw and Howard Jones all had a hand in New Wave.

IMO Talking Heads, Blondie, Kraftwerk and Devo all contributed too.

Why people confuse New Wave is because it seemed like a transitional thing. Neither Human League, Eurythmics, Talking Heads or OMD stayed as New Wave but became more pop-orientated around 1982. The Stranglers were originally a punk band, became New Wave and then went in another direction.

Another point is that people confuse New Wave with New Romantic and incorporate bands like Duran Duran (though Planet Earth sounds New Wave to me), Spandau Ballet (probably due to To cut a long story short), Adam and the Ants and Culture Club when that isn't so.

Soft Cell and Ultravox are the two bands that confuse me, though I am inclined to believe Soft Cell are New Wave and Ultravox are New Romantic.

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/03/08 at 2:03 am

Well "New Wave"term is a confusing term as so many bands were categorized many differant ways.
Personally its much simpler to just say 80s music

Check for new replies or respond here...