inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s teen fashion

Written By: Jason H on 07/03/08 at 5:28 pm

Hi,
I am 17 years old and my girlfriend wants me to go to an 80's themed teen dance/party with her.  I already found alot of info here, anyone have any additional suggestions on how I should dress.  I always wear my hat to the side, should I wear it differently, or leave it off?  Someone mentioned a shirt with the colar sticking up, and socks pulled up high...is that 80's?  
I think I already do an 80's thing...I wear a plastic Swatch watch (and I wear it with the buckle on the top of my wrist...someone seen how I wear it and said he thought that was popular in the late 80's...is that true? )
Thank you very much for any suggestions.
Jason

Subject: Re: 80s teen fashion

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/03/08 at 7:06 pm

It depends on the hat.  Better leave it off just in case.  As for shirts, don't put the collar up if it's a full button down shirt.  Collar up only referred to polo shirts.  Socks pulled up high?  For a guy, I don't think it matters.  I guess you don't have a Swatch guard for your Swatch?  Wear Nike's or Reaboks and if you can find the type of shades that Tom Cruise wore in Risky Business that is really 80's.

Written By: robby76 on 07/03/08 at 9:00 pm

Skinny tie and roll up your jeans or leather trousers.

Written By: bee bee hornet on 07/07/08 at 12:58 am

Check out some classic 80s flicks for suggestions. A great one: "Valley Girl" with Nicolas Cage (aka Nick Coppola), "Sixteen Candles", "Pretty in Pink", or "Breakfast Club" all with Molly Ringwald. Dress like Ducky from "Pretty in Pink" and you're all set. Don't remember the Swatch watch buckle side up, but you've got the brand right. Have fun, like totally, for sure!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/07/08 at 10:27 pm

I didn't llike Nic Cage's clothes. Duckie is much better!

Written By: Jason H on 07/08/08 at 9:20 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions

-Jason

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/08 at 10:04 pm

Skinny tie and roll up your jeans or leather trousers.

I used to wear those skinny ties at work. Maybe I wanted to look like Rick Ocasek!  Though, they actually made me look a little like Pee-Wee Herman when I was 17.
:-[

Written By: robby76 on 07/13/08 at 7:25 pm

^Jr. High School (1980-1982)...parents were probably still dressing me at this stage...

Your parents had it down! It's the look I like the most.  8)

Written By: Deborah on 07/23/08 at 6:59 pm

I think I already do an 80's thing...I wear a plastic Swatch watch (and I wear it with the buckle on the top of my wrist...someone seen how I wear it and said he thought that was popular in the late 80's...is that true? )
Thank you very much for any suggestions.
Jason

Anyone else remember Swatches being worn that way?  I was a HS teacher in the 80's- 90's and I remember around 1989 or early 90s alot of kids did that, I remember a student telling me that they wear Swatches that way.  I don't see that too often now, but my 16 year old son wears his watch like that, just now I asked him why, and he said no reason he just likes  it like that  ::) ::)

Written By: Chad on 08/22/08 at 6:40 pm

Don't remember the Swatch watch buckle side up, but you've got the brand right.

http://www.inthe80s.com/clothes/swatchs.shtml

I posted (link to post) this about Swatches a while ago. 
I used to always wear my Swatch with the buckle on the top of my wrist too.  I remember a lot of kids doing that then (late 80s/early 90s around then).    I was a lifeguard at a water park in Wisconsin when I was in high school and college.  I remember when working at the top of a slide I was hearing people say "look another kid wearing his Swatch like that",  I always had older people ask me why I wear it like that, I just smiled and said "because I'm cool, thats all", and  I remember a small kid saying when he gets a Swatch hes going to wear it like that... I said yep, thats the way we wear them.  I thought this was a regional "trend"  anyone else remember this other places?

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/23/08 at 9:19 pm

Don't forget legwarmers and high top sneakers.

Written By: ILUV80S on 09/01/08 at 8:27 am

We never wore them buckle side up here in Ohio.  The point was for the face to show because they were so decorative.  We would definitely wear the guards, sometimes 2 and twist them.

Written By: South-Jersey Girl on 09/12/08 at 6:09 pm

In all these posts I haven't seen the most obvious answer: hair teased up a mile-high and sprayed with Aqua net!

I went out on Halloween as an 80's girl and I teased up my hair, tied a bow around my head, wore a fishnet top over an off-the-shoulder top, a huge belt low on my hips over a minidress, fishnet stockings, red flats, tons of bracelets, and big dangly earrings.

Written By: Nostalgic on 09/15/08 at 4:36 pm

You can try looking like the guys from Duran Duran ...

Written By: Cathy on 10/01/08 at 10:06 pm

Anyone else remember Swatches being worn that way?  I was a HS teacher in the 80's- 90's and I remember around 1989 or early 90s alot of kids did that,

I know a kid now that wears a Swatch and he wears it with the buckle on the top side of his wrist.  His Swatch is just a plain black band and face.  He works at the store that I work at.  I was having a hard time getting a ride and he offered to pick me up and drive me home every evening, as long as I don't mind the smoke and the music.  I'm 50 and I'm getting a ride from  a 17 year old in a Camaro who wears his Swatch that way :) 

Written By: Jen on 10/03/08 at 11:18 pm

I had 3 Swatch watches in the 80's - I had the clear one where you could see all the machanics inside, a plain black one, and my FAVORITE, the plaid with a red band and a green band.  The plaid one was stolen from me at basketball practice and for months I looked at everyone's wrists as they walked down the halls of my junior high school.  One of the most devistating times in the teens!  Because of that moment I never stole a thing from anyone - it made me who I am today!  Ha!  :D

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/square/squarecycle.gif

Written By: robby76 on 10/04/08 at 12:01 am

I went to school in England and this one American girl I knew wore her Swatch buckle side up, so yes I think it was a Stateside thing.

I had 2 Swatches in the 80s and early 90s. The first was the "Grey Flannel" in 1987 with a red guard and the other was a "Black Moon" Pop Swatch in 1989 with those thick fabric straps. That was black with jazzy colours on.

Wow just looking at them brings back so many memories...

http://www.squiggly.com/us/en/swatch/grey-flannel-GA104.htm

http://www.squiggly.com/us/en/swatch/black-moon-PWBB127.htm

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/07/08 at 10:14 pm

I wonder how his party went, I'd love to see photos of some of the "costumes".  ;D

Written By: Scott on 12/04/08 at 10:25 pm

Anyone else remember Swatches being worn that way? 

Yes...
I  got a Swatch as a gift from my girlfriend when I was 15 in 1988.  At first I wore it the regular way but after a year I started wearing it with the buckle on the top of my wrist.  My grandfather wore his watch that way, he thought I did it to be like him, I told him I did but that wasn't the reason.  I must have seen some kids wearing it like that and I started doing it.  I wore it like that through high school and into college, then I went back to wearing it the regular way.    

Check for new replies or respond here...