inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s Album of the Week: Modern Talking - Ready For Romance (1986)

Written By: whistledog on 07/21/08 at 10:37 am

Inspired by Henk's Artist/Song of the Week thread.  In the past, I have chronicled albums in a thread, so I figured why not make it a weekly thing.  A chance to showcase a random single album by an artist.

Albums in this thread:
#1 - Cliff Richard - I'm No Hero
#2 - ABC - The Lexicon of Love
#3 - Bryan Adams - Reckless
#4 - UB40 - Labour of Love
#5 - OMD - Architecture and Morality
#6 - Irene Cara - What A Feelin'
#7 - Masquerade - The Sound of Masquerade
#8 - Laid Back - Keep Smiling
#9 - Roxy Music - Avalon
#10 - One to One - Forward Your Emotions
#11 - Little River Band - Time Exposure
#12 - Kon Kan - Move to Move
#13 - Propaganda - A Secret Wish
#14 - Modern Talking - Ready For Romance

ALBUM #1

Released in 1980, I'm No Hero was the 41st album by British singer Cliff Richard.  

It continued his comeback success in North America where the album's first single 'Dreaming' gave him his 13th (6th Top 40) hit in America, and 21st (18th Top 40) hit in Canada.  In the UK, the single became his 74th (71st Top 40) hit

<alternate album sleeve>
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419STKEAY0L._SL500_AA240_.jpg http://www.penumbra.co.nz/crimages/ema796r_b.jpg

ALBUM CHART (UK / North America)
UK #4
US #80
CAN #25

TRACK LISTING
01 | Take Another Look
02 | Anything I Can Do
03 | A Little In Love
04 | Here (So Doggone Blue)
05 | Give A Little Bit More
06 | In The Night
07 | I´m No Hero
08 | Dreaming
09 | A Heart Will Break
10 | Everyman

SINGLES (UK / North America)
1980 - Dreaming
1981 - A Little in Love
1981 - Give A Little Bit More

Subject: Re: Cliff Richard - I'm No Hero <Album Facts>

Written By: Davester on 07/21/08 at 9:21 pm

The Elvis of the UK (I've heard him called - up to you if that's a compliment...)

I heard Dreaming on the radio a short while ago.  I've not heard that song on the radio, or anywhere else for that matter in, I swear, nearly thirty years...

I like Cliff Richard well enough - standard pop not unlike Paul Davis or Leo Sayer - but hearing that song for the first time since I was ten years old sent a shiver up my spine.  It reminds me of when I was in the sixth grade, sleeping on the bedroom floor (didn't have a bed) and listening to the radio while getting ready for school...

The other single off that album, A Little in Love, likewise...

Subject: Re: Cliff Richard - I'm No Hero <Album Facts>

Written By: whistledog on 07/21/08 at 10:06 pm

The Elvis of the UK (I've heard him called - up to you if that's a compliment...)

He is indeed the British Elvis.  He had his first UK hit in 1958 and to date (as of 2008), he's charted a total of 135 UK hits, 124 of which hit the Top 40.

During his golden days of the 50s and 60s, he charted only 2 US Top 40 hits (Living Doll, 1959 and It's All in the Game, 1963), which made him almost an unknown in the United States, thus he never really had a fair shot against Elvis in the Billboard chart.  His last ever US hit to date was 'Never Say Die' in 1983, which left him a total of 20 US hits (13 of which were achieved during his 1976-1983 comeback period).  Apparently the singles were released, but the record buying public of America just didn't quite bite :(

Subject: 80s Album of the Week: What A Feelin' - Irene Cara

Written By: whistledog on 08/09/08 at 11:31 pm

'The Lexicon of Love' was the debut album by British new wave group ABC in 1982.

Upon release, it hit #1 in the UK and all 4 singles reached the UK Top 40.  By late 1982, the album became a success in North America and to date, remains their most successful album in both the UK and North America.  As compared to the UK, the album was not as big of a success as it could have been in America, but when you think of all the albums and singles in the charts, 'The Lexicon of Love' did just fine

http://cdn.7static.com/static/img/sleeveart/00/000/151/0000015102_350.jpg

UK #1
CAN #3
US #24

TRACKLISTING
01 | Show Me
02 | Poison Arrow
03 | Many Happy Returns
04 | Tears Are Not Enough
05 | Valentine's Day
06 | The Look of Love (Part One)
07 | Date Stamp
08 | All of My Heart
09 | 4 Ever 2 Gether
10 | The Look of Love (Part Four)

1981 - Tears Are Not Enough
1982 - The Look of Love
1982 - Poison Arrow
1982 - All of My Heart

Subject: Re: Album Facts: The Lexicon of Love - ABC (1982)

Written By: johnny5alive on 08/10/08 at 12:54 am

this album is in my collection! :)

Written By: midnite on 08/11/08 at 6:35 pm

Good post, Good album.  All Of My Heart is an incredible song.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/08 at 11:41 pm

Lexicon is a terrific album.  Trevor Horn's production is great and the song writing is also quite strong. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumright.gif

Written By: whistledog on 08/12/08 at 1:23 am

^ I totally forgot it was produced by Horn.  I can assume it was post ZTT, otherwise it would have been on the ZTT label LOL

Written By: Bobby on 08/12/08 at 7:09 pm

My dad has this on LP. I have a 'best of' CD that features pretty much everything I wanted from ABC.  8)

Written By: karen on 08/12/08 at 8:51 pm

My dad has this on LP. I have a 'best of' CD that features pretty much everything I wanted from ABC.  8)

way to make people feel old, Bobby!

Written By: whistledog on 08/12/08 at 9:39 pm

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/08 at 10:57 pm

I can see Martin Fry morphing into Grandpa Simpson: I remember when I used to make videos, I'd wear a big tophat, and I always had scantily clad women around me!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pfiade.gif

Written By: Paul on 08/13/08 at 2:15 pm

A superb, coherent album which, sad to say, proved way too difficult for the band to equal... :-\\

It was an instant success, debuting at pole position in the UK album charts in 1982, but curiously, it didn't achieve gold status until many years later...something which I find quite hard to believe, but that's the BPI for you... ::)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/13/08 at 2:31 pm

I don't have any of their albums, but I loved their sound and have got all of their singles which charted in the US...

I might look into getting their greatest hits CD one of these days... :)

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/08 at 3:57 pm

I don't have any of their albums, but I loved their sound and have got all of their singles which charted in the US...

I might look into getting their greatest hits CD one of these days... :)

The best one to get is the first official one titled 'Absolutely ABC' that came out in 1990 :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/13/08 at 4:14 pm

The best one to get is the first official one titled 'Absolutely ABC' that came out in 1990 :)

Thanks, Jason...I'll keep that in mind!  :)

Written By: whistledog on 08/07/09 at 8:08 am

Released in 1984, 'Reckless' was the 4th studio release by Canadian singer Bryan Adams. 

As a solo artist, the album's first single 'Run to You' became Adams' 8th hit in Canada and 5th hit in the United States.  It also became his first UK Top 40 hit.  By mid-1985, the album had become a major commercial success and proved to be a bigger success in the States than Canada when the single 'Heaven' topped the US chart

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/1e/b9/16c6c0a398a014ae2b6df110.L.jpg

CAN #1
US #1
UK #7

TRACK LISTING
01 | One Night Love Affair
02 | She's Only Happy When She's Dancin'
03 | Run to You
04 | Heaven
05 | Somebody
06 | Summer of '69
07 | Kids Wanna Rock
08 | It's Only Love (with Tina Turner)
09 | Long Gone
10 | Ain't Gonna Cry

1984 - Run to You
1985 - Somebody
1985 - Heaven
1985 - Summer of '69
1985 - One Night Love Affair
1985 - It's Only Live <w/ Tina Turner>

TRIVIA
♦ 'Heaven' was originally written for and appears on the soundtrack to A Night in Heaven, a 1983 motion picture about a college student who has an affair with his teacher.
♦ 'One Night Love Affair' appeared in the movie Real Genius before it was released as a single, so it technically could qualify as a soundtrack hit.

Subject: Re: Album Facts: Reckless - Bryan Adams (1984)

Written By: Paul on 08/07/09 at 9:32 am

It clocked up an impressive 115 weeks on the British album listings (though not consecutively), making it the longest stayer of any of his subsequent LPs...

Written By: Midas on 08/07/09 at 5:15 pm

By mid-1985, the album had become a major commercial success and proved to be a bigger success in the States than Canada when the single 'Heaven' topped the US chart

That's 'cuz my mom bought the album! :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/07/09 at 5:28 pm

Great album...(as was the one which came out prior to that and had the song 'Cuts Like A Knife' on it)!  8)

Written By: Frank on 08/07/09 at 7:13 pm

I bought the Cassette when it came out. This is STILL the best Canadian album ever, in my opinion, so many great songs. Back in the 80's, I had a Walkman, and I can't remember how many times I listened to it on tape.

This album really rocked. Summer of '69 is still one of the best summer and drivings songs ever.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/10/09 at 9:25 pm

Strangely I get really nostalgic for the Nineties when I think of this album, probably because I heard the singles for the first time in 1993 or 94.:) It's a great pop/arena rock album though, and I especially love "Summer of 69" these days, since it seems to be a nostalgic song, or at least maybe what he wishes he was doing then (since he would've obviously still been a kid).

Written By: Gis on 08/13/09 at 11:35 am

I already had the cuts like a knife 12" so i bought this when it first came out and I still love it.

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/13/09 at 4:04 pm

Great album...(as was the one which came out prior to that and had the song 'Cuts Like A Knife' on it)!  8)

CF, that album was "Cuts Like A Knife", and also had the singles "This Time", and "Straight From The Heart".

As for "Reckless", I still have my copy of the cassette, and I never even bring it in the house.
It's just too much fun to play while I'm driving!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

P.S.: "The Kids Wanna Rock" was also a hit single, it even made it on Bryan's Greatest Hits CD!

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/13/09 at 7:54 pm

I always loved the song "Run to You", as well as "Heaven" and "Summer of '69".  I'd like to check out the entire album sometime.  :)

Written By: Davester on 08/13/09 at 9:17 pm

Strangely I get really nostalgic for the Nineties when I think of this album, probably because I heard the singles for the first time in 1993 or 94.:) It's a great pop/arena rock album though, and I especially love "Summer of 69" these days, since it seems to be a nostalgic song, or at least maybe what he wishes he was doing then (since he would've obviously still been a kid).

Bryan would've been nine years old in the summer 1969, turning ten that November.  It's not inconceivable that he started learning to play the guitar at nine or ten.  I know for a fact my Elvis-Presley-freak dad was at that age...

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/09 at 10:42 am

Released in 1983, 'Labour of Love' was the 4th studio release by British reggae group UB40

It was an all-covers album and became the group's breakthrough in North America.  The first single 'Red Red Wine' was the band's 14th UK hit single, and their debut hit in North America.  The album spawned 4 hits in the UK, and in 1988 saw a re-release in the United States, where it became more popular there than it initially was.

'Labour of Love' went on to spawn sequel albums:  'Labour of Love II' in 1989 and 'Labour of Love III' in 1998.  A planned 'Labour of Love IV' is due for release in late 2009.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BOMUt310L._SL500_.jpg

ALBUM CHART (UK/North America)
UK #1
CAN #5 (1984)
US #8 (1984)
US #15 (1988 re-release)

TRACK LISTING
01 | Cherry Oh Baby
02 | Keep on Moving
03 | Please Don't Make Me Cry
04 | Sweet Sensation
05 | Johnny Too Bad
06 | Red Red Wine
07 | Guilty
08 | She Caught the Train
09 | Version Girl
10 | Many Rivers to Cross

SINGLES
1983 - Red Red Wine
1983 - Please Don't Make Me Cry
1983 - Many Rivers to Cross
1984 - Cherry Oh Baby
1988 - Red Red Wine (Re-release)

TRIVIA
♦ Their version of 'Red Red Wine', although it is a Neil Diamond composition, was based on the 1969 cover version by reggae artist Tony Tribe, which had been a #46 hit in the UK.  Neil's original version was NOT a hit in the UK
♦ The album and 12" version of 'Red Red Wine' features toasted vocals by band member Astro, which Neil Diamond would later incoporate into some of his live shows.
♦ A mini-movie titled 'Labour of Love' accompanied the album.  It was a blend of music videos with a story line filmed entirely in black and white, showcasing the band working in a dump yard, and their homelives and relationships with their families and friends ...

Labour of Love - Part 1
Labour of Love - Part 2
Labour of Love - Part 3
Labour of Love - Part 4

Subject: Re: Album Facts: Labour of Love - UB40 (1983)

Written By: johnny5alive on 09/12/09 at 10:53 pm

what a great album indeed!  thanks! :)

Written By: Paul on 09/13/09 at 10:46 am

The LP was okay for what it was, but I'm afraid it signalled the end of their 'cutting edge'... :(

'Labour of Love' went on to spawn sequel albums:  'Labour of Love II' in 1989 and 'Labour of Love III' in 1998.

They unleashed these LPs just as their profile (and chart positions) began to slip...it worked, although with increasingly diminishing returns...

Written By: whistledog on 09/13/09 at 2:26 pm

The LP was okay for what it was, but I'm afraid it signalled the end of their 'cutting edge'... :(

It certainly was a change from their early efforts.  They went from that standard reggae sound to a modernized pop reggae that sounded like they were strictly aiming for chart success.

They unleashed these LPs just as their profile (and chart positions) began to slip...it worked, although with increasingly diminishing returns...

'Labour of Love II' repopularized their success in America and became their first (and only) album to spawn more than 1 US Top 40 hit.  Oddly enough, none of the singles from 'Labour of Love II' made the Top 40 in Canada

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/09 at 8:25 pm

Album #5:  Architecture and Morality - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

Released in 1981, this was the most commercially successful album by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, and was also their first album to make noise in North America.

http://shop.lexermusic.com/images/products/preview/didcdrx12.jpg

TRACKLISTING
Side One:
1 | The New Stone Age
2 | She's Leaving
3 | Souvenir
4 | Sealand

Side Two:
5 | Joan of Arc
6 | Joan of Arc (Maid of Orleans)
7 | Architecture and Morality
8 | Georgia
9 | The Beginning and the End

UK #3
CAN #18 (1982)
US #144 (1982)

1981 - Souvenir
1981 - Joan of Arc
1982 - Maid of Orleans (The Waltz of Joan of Arc)

For it's single release, 'Joan of Arc (Maid of Orleans)' was re-titled 'Maid of Orleans (The Waltz of Joan of Arc)' to avoid obvious confusion, to which I can tell you there was.  In the printed Canadian chart, 'Joan of Arc' is listed as the one that reached the Canadian Top 40, but it was 'Maid of Orleans' that we got as the chart hit.  

'Souvenir', 'Maid of Orleans' and 'Joan of Arc' (in that order) remained the group's 1st, 2nd and 3rd highest charting songs in the UK during their career and the album itself was their highest charting UK album.  

This is a wicked album that is a must for any 80s fan.  In my opinion of OMD's albums, I rank this one #2 as my favourite is still 'Junk Culture' from 1984

Subject: Re: 80s Album of the Week: "Architecture and Morality" by OMD

Written By: Chasey on 12/07/09 at 6:17 am

Thanks for the very accurate and interesting synopsis of this superb album, Whistledog!  :)

Subject: Re: 80s Album of the Week: "Architecture and Morality" by OMD

Written By: midnite on 12/07/09 at 8:30 pm

Architecture and Morality is my favorite OMD album with my two favorite OMD songs:
1. Souvenir
2. Joan of Arc

I "discovered" it only a few years ago and enjoy its thick synth lines and wonderful lyrics.

Subject: Re: 80s Album of the Week: What A Feelin' - Irene Cara

Written By: whistledog on 12/19/09 at 10:01 pm

Architecture and Morality sure is a wonderful album.  I own it proudly on vinyl and cassette! 8)

Onwards to the next one ...

Album #6:  What A Feelin' - Irene Cara

http://www.deklassiekers.nl/What_a_Feelin.jpg

TRACKLISTING
Side One:
1 | Why Me?
2 | Breakdance
3 | You Took My Life Away
4 | Keep On
5 | The Dream (Hold on to Your Dream)

Side Two:
6 | Flashdance ... What A Feeling!
7 | Romance '83
8 | Cue Me Up
9 | Talk Too Much
10 | You Were Made For Me

US #77
CAN #83

1983 - Flashdance ... What A Feeling!
1983 - Why Me?
1984 - Breakdance
1984 - The Dream (Hold on to Your Dream)
1984 - You Were Made For Me

Despite not charting in the UK, I bet you're probably thinking "Why, does an album with 4 US Top 40 hits barely break the North American album charts?"  There is a reason for that.  Why buy an album full of songs you already have on other albums?

- 'What A Feelin' served as the theme for the film 'Flashdance', and ended up winning the Oscar and Golden Globe Award for Best Song.  It appears on said soundtrack.
- 'Breakdance' appeared on numerous Breakdance compilation albums
- 'The Dream' appears on the soundtrack to the 1983 film 'D.C. Cab';  Irene appears in the film as herself

I can't speak for the US or the UK, but in Canada, 'Flashdance ... What A Feeling' was the 4th biggest hit of 1983 and 'Breakdance' was the 83rd biggest hit of 1984 (year end charts)

Not just for the album art, this album is one of the greats of 1983.  A perfect blend of pop, new wave, and even breakdancing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFA8RElFNRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXUasG027hY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsHufQjrRU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX4gnqnJROI

Subject: Re: 80s Album of the Week: What A Feelin' - Irene Cara (1983)

Written By: robby76 on 12/19/09 at 10:55 pm

Great choice for the week! I've been looking for this Irene Cara album just recenty but they come at quite a price for non-US residents. "You Were Made For Me" was a nice ballad and "Breakdance" is a classic.

Note : Her first album "Anyone Can See" was just as good.

http://www.musicalmente.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/irene-cara-anyone-can-see.jpg

Subject: Re: 80s Album of the Week: What A Feelin' - Irene Cara (1983)

Written By: whistledog on 12/19/09 at 11:12 pm

Great choice for the week! I've been looking for this Irene Cara album just recenty but they come at quite a price for non-US residents. "You Were Made For Me" was a nice ballad and "Breakdance" is a classic.

Note : Her first album "Anyone Can See" was just as good.

http://www.musicalmente.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/irene-cara-anyone-can-see.jpg

That is true about non-US Residents.  Even in general, the album is difficult to get on CD without paying a bundle.  I have it on cassette and vinyl, and though I don't really buy CDs anymore, certain ones I will and What A Feelin' is one I would definately get.

Not many people know that 'Anyone Can See' was her first album, simply because she had success in 1980 with Fame.  In 1976, she was in a movie called 'Sparkle' which apparently was the inspiration for 'Dreamgirls'.  One movie I really loved her in was the 1984 Burt Reynolds/Clint Eastwood flick 'City Heat'.  She sounded great singing those old '30s songs!

Subject: Re: 80s Album of the Week: The Sound of Masquerade (1984)

Written By: whistledog on 01/19/10 at 6:44 pm

Album #7:  The Sound of Masquerade - Masquerade

http://hitparade.ch/cdimages/masquerade-the_sound_of_masquerade_a.jpg

TRACKLISTING
SIDE One:
01 | Prologue
02 | Guardian Angel
03 | Love Hurts
04 | Deep Under My Skin
05 | Everyday Loser

06 | The Morning After the Night Before
07 | Jet Set Age
08 | Summer's Over
09 | Lay Your Head on My Shoulder
10 | Epilogue

ALBUM CHART (Based on available information I could find)
Switzerland - #23
Sweden - #33

SINGLES (Based on available information I could find)
1984 - Guardian Angel
1984 - Everyday Loser

AUT = Austria | SWI = Switzerland | GER = Germany | SWE = Sweden | NL = The Netherlands | NZ = New Zealand | AUS = Australia

Masquerade was created by the legendary German singer/composer Drafi Deutscher.  Though he did not appear as Masquerade (The two in the video were hired faces miming along to the songs), he sang the high and low voices on all the songs.  Not much is known about Masquerade, other than that, and it would seem this was their only album.

'Guardian Angel' was originally a hit for Nino De Angelo in 1983, originally titled 'Jenseits Von Eden'.  In 1984, he would record his own english version of 'Guardian Angel' that reached #57 in the UK chart in 1984.  Chartwise, Masquerade had zero success in North America or the UK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rivK8tlyD8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up9LBqvYLrk

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/22/10 at 7:04 pm

Album #5:  Architecture and Morality - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

Released in 1981, this was the most commercially successful album by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, and was also their first album to make noise in North America.

http://shop.lexermusic.com/images/products/preview/didcdrx12.jpg

TRACKLISTING
Side One:
1 | The New Stone Age
2 | She's Leaving
3 | Souvenir
4 | Sealand

Side Two:
5 | Joan of Arc
6 | Joan of Arc (Maid of Orleans)
7 | Architecture and Morality
8 | Georgia
9 | The Beginning and the End

UK #3
CAN #18 (1982)
US #144 (1982)

1981 - Souvenir
1981 - Joan of Arc
1982 - Maid of Orleans (The Waltz of Joan of Arc)

For it's single release, 'Joan of Arc (Maid of Orleans)' was re-titled 'Maid of Orleans (The Waltz of Joan of Arc)' to avoid obvious confusion, to which I can tell you there was.  In the printed Canadian chart, 'Joan of Arc' is listed as the one that reached the Canadian Top 40, but it was 'Maid of Orleans' that we got as the chart hit.  

'Souvenir', 'Maid of Orleans' and 'Joan of Arc' (in that order) remained the group's 1st, 2nd and 3rd highest charting songs in the UK during their career and the album itself was their highest charting UK album.  

This is a wicked album that is a must for any 80s fan.  In my opinion of OMD's albums, I rank this one #2 as my favourite is still 'Junk Culture' from 1984

Architecture & Morality is my favorite, though Junk Culture is a close second. 

They used all those choral tape loops on A/M, which gives the album it's beautiful texture and emotional power.  A/M was the album the played in its entirety on their recent reunion tour.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif

Subject: Re: 80s Album of the Week: Keep Smiling - Laid Back (1983)

Written By: whistledog on 01/30/10 at 9:10 pm

Album #8:  Keep Smiling - Laid Back

Released in 1983, 'Keep Smiling' was the 2nd album from Danish pop duo Laid Back.  It was also their only success in North America, despite not charting as a whole.  The single 'White Horse' reached the US Top 40

http://soulfunkjazz.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/front22.jpg

TRACKLISTING
Side One:
1 | Elevator Boy
2 | Slowmotion Girl
3 | White Horse
4 | So Wie So

Side Two:
5 | High Society Girl
6 | Don’t Be Mean
7 | Sunshine Reggae
8 | Fly Away \ Walking In The Sunshine

SINGLES (with North America/UK chart peaks on those that charted)
1982 - Sunshine Reggae
1983 - High Society Girl
1983 - White Horse
1983 - Elevator Boy

I tried to get Danish chart positions, but finding those are apparently quite impossible, but I Can tell you that all 4 singles were big hits in their native Denmark.  If you only know them for White Horse, you need to look further into this album.  'High Society Girl' is just a fantastic song and easily one of the catchiest songs of the 80s, but my favourite will always be 'Sunshine Reggae'.

When 'White Horse' took off in America, promotion for the song proved quite a challenge because people were under the impression (based on the music style of the song) that Laid Back were a black group.  It's controversial lyrics have often been cited as to why it failed to enter the Top 20, but for a song that didn't receive major radio play, the Top 30 is pretty good.  Originally, 'White Horse' was the B Side to 'Sunshine Reggae'

Notable cover versions:
♦ A 1989 version of 'White Horse' by Laid Back reached #81 in the UK

♦ Canadian singer Allen Harris recorded a version of 'Sunshine Reggae' that reached #87 in Canada in August of 1984.  The song was a Double A side with his then wife Nancy Martinez and her version of Edith Piaf's 'La Vie En Rose'.  Both songs were also recorded in a medley format.

♦ 'White Horse' was sampled on the 1989 album track 'Get the F**k Out of My House' by 2 Live Crew

♦ 'White Horse' was also sampled on the 1998 single 'Touch It' by Monifah, that became a Top 40 hit in many countries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPjIC0TRstY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV1GnyR_WgE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8j2ej5jqQw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FiONmoFt48

Written By: Midas on 01/31/10 at 11:44 am

♦ A 1989 version of 'White Horse' by Laid Back reached #81 in the UK

I have the Art Of Mix Remix Service version of "White Horse '89" and it is my mix of choice when dropping the track.

♦ 'White Horse' was sampled on the 1989 album track 'Get the F**k Out of My House' by 2 Live Crew

Which is the B-side to "Me So Horny" in the U.S.  :D

There was a cover version of "White Horse" by Wonderland Avenue or someone around 2005-2006 that I didn't care for much neither. :D

Written By: Henk on 01/31/10 at 11:53 am

Which is the B-side to "Me So Horny" in the U.S.  :D

I'm guessing both sides really got massive airplay in the U.S.... ::) :D

Written By: Midas on 01/31/10 at 12:18 pm

[/quote

The clean version of "Me So Horny" got some decent radio play. :D

Written By: Henk on 01/31/10 at 4:09 pm

Midas got caught in the quote box! :D

Written By: Midas on 02/01/10 at 9:09 am

Midas got caught in the quote box! :D

Ah, so I did!  ;D

Written By: midnite on 02/01/10 at 12:08 pm

I tried to get Danish chart positions, but finding those are apparently quite impossible, but I Can tell you that all 4 singles were big hits in their native Denmark.  If you only know them for White Horse, you need to look further into this album.  'High Society Girl' is just a fantastic song and easily one of the catchiest songs of the 80s, but my favourite will always be 'Sunshine Reggae'.

I didn't know the Danish charts were hard to find. I wonder why?

In response to the Masquerade Album from a few weeks ago, the only Masquerade song I know is "Guardian Angel" which is pretty good.  The singer sounds older and reiminds me of the Greek singer Denis Roussos (who by the way has an AMAZING version of Air Supply's "Lost In Love).

I am familiar with the Laid back hits, which are a bit funky.  High society girl and sunshine reggae are fun.

Subject: Re: 80s Album of the Week: Roxy Music - Avalon (1982)

Written By: whistledog on 02/09/10 at 7:51 pm

Album #9:  Avalon - Roxy Music (1982)

http://a2.vox.com/6a00c2251e7cd68e1d011017a9d24a860e-500pi

TRACKLISTING
Side One:
01 | More Than This
02 | The Space Between
03 | Avalon
04 | India (Instrumental track)
05 | While My Heart is Still Beating

Side Two:
06 | The Main Thing
07 | Take A Chance With Me
08 | To Turn You On
09 | True to Life
10 | Tara (Instrumental Track

ALBUM CHART (Based on North America/UK charts)
UK #1
CAN #1
US #53

SINGLES (Based on North America/UK charts)
1982 - More Than This
1982 - Avalon
1982 - Take A Chance With Me

Released in 1982, Avalon was the final studio album from Roxy Music, their third UK #1 album, and was their 2nd biggest selling album in the UK (1980's Flesh and Blood had a longer run in the Top 40).  It was also their only #1 album in Canada, and despite only reaching #53 in the United States, still reached platinum status despite no charting singles on the Billboard chart.  Plus, despite not charting in Canada, 'More Than This' still received significant radio and video play, and should be well remembered by anyone in Canada who listened to a radio in the 80s. 

Avalon is in my Top 5 of greatest albums of the 80s, and to me, the best thing Bryan Ferry has ever done just ahead of his solo effort 'Boys and Girls' in 1985.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfgU4iQr8PU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zJdbpzfJMs

Not the actual video for 'Take A Chance With Me'.  Truth be told, I have never seen a video for this song.  Not sure if one was ever made.  Any confirmation on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk-hVaI0R24

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/09/10 at 9:52 pm

I have very strong memories of Roxy Music's "Avalon."  They're from 1987 when my sister and her new boyfriend sort of adopted it as their album and played it constantly!

It's one of those records that hooks you in.  You just want to hear it over and over because it's so damn good!

Written By: Chasey on 02/10/10 at 3:55 am

'More Than This' is quite simply the finest record ever produced in my opinion, and I've not this opinion since I first heard it as a 10 year old in 1982.

'Avalon'as an album is a masterpiece.  What Ferry was doing with synths at that time never ceases to amaze me; the stuff just hasn't aged!  You can play any track from 'Avalon' and you really wouldn't know you were listening to an album on the verge of it's 30th anniversary. 

The way the synths are blended into the album are a lesson in subtlety that few other 80's bands mastered, let alone understood.

I first heard this album during my first holiday off UK shores; in Western France during 1982, the year of it's release and my parents played the cassette over and over again in our villa.

It's just a wonderful, wonderful album.

Written By: Frank on 02/10/10 at 11:09 am

"More than this" was a fab song. Such a relaxing and mellow song to listen to.

Written By: Paul on 02/10/10 at 4:28 pm

Certainly their last throw of the dice as far as chart success went, although I do seem to remember a huge backlash of apathy from the music press when the LP was released...'safe, predictable, bland and dull' were some of the adjectives hurled around... :-\\

Written By: Bobby on 02/10/10 at 6:51 pm

I don't know the album Avalon but I love the song by the group. I'm sure I first heard it on an old Nivea advert when I was young.

Written By: nally on 02/10/10 at 6:52 pm

I don't know the album Avalon but I love the song by the group. I'm sure I first heard it on an old Nivea advert when I was young.

yeah, I know the title track too. As well as "More Than This." Both great songs. O0

Written By: midnite on 02/12/10 at 12:31 pm

'Avalon'as an album is a masterpiece. the stuff just hasn't aged!  You can play any track from 'Avalon' and you really wouldn't know you were listening to an album on the verge of it's 30th anniversary.  

I must agree.  IT STILL SOUNDS FRESH TODAY.  I "discovered" this album, and Roxy Music altogether, about 6 or 7 years.   Avalon is very clean-sounding and manufactured, but amazing the way the synths, guitars, and horns float along in the songs - in a HEAVENLY fashion. Avalon is Heaven, like the picture of the clouds on the cover.

At the time the critcs were probably not happy because Avalon was "yuppyish" and "adult contemporary" and NOT avante-guarde like their early releases. However, I love this album and recommend it.  My favorite tracks are:

To Turn You On
More Than This
Avalon

Written By: whistledog on 02/16/10 at 8:09 pm

I don't know the album Avalon but I love the song by the group.

You should find a copy.  You won't be disappointed :)

Written By: Bobby on 02/21/10 at 5:40 pm

yeah, I know the title track too. As well as "More Than This." Both great songs. O0

'More than this' wasn't too bad but preferred 'Oh yeah (on the radio)'.

Written By: Bobby on 02/21/10 at 5:40 pm

You should find a copy.  You won't be disappointed :)

I will certainly look for it, Jason. I am on a bit of a role when it comes to looking for old albums.

Written By: nally on 02/22/10 at 12:14 am

'More than this' wasn't too bad but preferred 'Oh yeah (on the radio)'.

I don't know that one. Must not have done very well in the US.

Written By: Bobby on 02/22/10 at 5:25 am

I don't know that one. Must not have done very well in the US.

You may like it. Check it out. :)

Written By: nally on 02/22/10 at 10:18 am

You may like it. Check it out. :)

If I find it, say, on Youtube, I will take a listen to it and see if I enjoy it.

Subject: Re: 80s Album of the Week: One to One - Forward Your Emotions (1985)

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/10 at 6:06 pm

Album #10:  Forward Your Emotions - One to One (1985)

Minor American success for this Canadian duo ...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-3-Hzo09L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

TRACKLISTING
Side One:
01 | Don't Call it Love
02 | Angel in My Pocket
03 | Hearts and Diamonds
04 | Where's the Answer
05 | Forward Your Emotions

Side Two:
06 | There Was A Time
07 | Black on White
08 | Love is Blind
09 | Boys Will Be Boys
10 | Tell Me Straight

ALBUM CHART (Canada)
CAN #87

SINGLES (Based on North America charts)
1986 - There Was A Time
1986 - Angel in My Pocket
1986 - Black on White

One to One started out as a dance-pop duo from Ottawa, Ontario consisting of Louise Reny (vocals) and Leslie Howe (producer/musician).  'Forward Your Emotions' was their debut album, released in 1985, and spawned 3 hits in Canada.  It didn't make big noise outside of Canada unfortunately, but the single 'Angel in My Pocket' was a US dance hit and even cracked the US Hot 100.  Despite it's low chart placing, this album remains the band's best known release.  The duo would go on to release 2 more albums in different music styles: '1-2-1' (1988, pop music) and 'Imagine It' (1992, Adult Contemporary).  

As the 90s dawned, due to the change in musical styles, One to One folded, and Louise and Leslie resurrected themselves for the Grunge Music scene, eventually settling on the name Artificial Joy Club.  Their 1997 single 'Sick and Beautiful' went onto become a massive hit in Canada and even reached the Top 20 on the Billboard Modern Rock chart.

TRIVIA:  Both Leslie Howe and Louise Reny were behind the scenes for the first two albums by Alanis Morissette:  Alanis (1991) and Now is the Time (1993).  Louise co-wrote a few songs and sang back-up and Leslie Howe co-wrote and produced all the tracks.  The 2002 song 'Hands Clean' by Alanis is on the subject of hebephilia, written about the affair she had with Leslie when she was 14 and he was 29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrCOWoYTdcI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uXIU6bn8Hk

Not the actual video for 'Black on White' ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I2tvAOQf1c

Written By: nally on 02/24/10 at 10:54 pm

A little late for this, I know...but I only recently started checking out this thread. Thought I'd take a look at this post from 2 months ago:

Architecture and Morality sure is a wonderful album.  I own it proudly on vinyl and cassette! 8)

Onwards to the next one ...

Album #6:  What A Feelin' - Irene Cara

http://www.deklassiekers.nl/What_a_Feelin.jpg

TRACKLISTING
Side One:
1 | Why Me?
2 | Breakdance
3 | You Took My Life Away
4 | Keep On
5 | The Dream (Hold on to Your Dream)

Side Two:
6 | Flashdance ... What A Feeling!
7 | Romance '83
8 | Cue Me Up
9 | Talk Too Much
10 | You Were Made For Me

US #77
CAN #83

1983 - Flashdance ... What A Feeling!
1983 - Why Me?
1984 - Breakdance
1984 - The Dream (Hold on to Your Dream)
1984 - You Were Made For Me

Despite not charting in the UK, I bet you're probably thinking "Why, does an album with 4 US Top 40 hits barely break the North American album charts?"  There is a reason for that.  Why buy an album full of songs you already have on other albums?

- 'What A Feelin' served as the theme for the film 'Flashdance', and ended up winning the Oscar and Golden Globe Award for Best Song.  It appears on said soundtrack.
- 'Breakdance' appeared on numerous Breakdance compilation albums
- 'The Dream' appears on the soundtrack to the 1983 film 'D.C. Cab';  Irene appears in the film as herself

I can't speak for the US or the UK, but in Canada, 'Flashdance ... What A Feeling' was the 4th biggest hit of 1983 and 'Breakdance' was the 83rd biggest hit of 1984 (year end charts)

Not just for the album art, this album is one of the greats of 1983.  A perfect blend of pop, new wave, and even breakdancing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFA8RElFNRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXUasG027hY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsHufQjrRU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX4gnqnJROI

I bet all the tracks are great; I know the title track is. :) (However the first Youtube, which apparently was said track, is no longer available.)

Written By: robby76 on 02/24/10 at 11:10 pm

A little late for this, I know...but I only recently started checking out this thread. Thought I'd take a look at this post from 2 months ago:
I bet all the tracks are great; I know the title track is. :) (However the first Youtube, which apparently was said track, is no longer available.)

I bought this about 3 weeks ago on ebay.  :)

Written By: Davester on 02/25/10 at 12:14 am

Avalon is a great album...

Written By: Midas on 02/25/10 at 1:01 pm

I have the US 12" Single of One to One's "Angel In My Pocket".  I first heard that song on a mixshow in 1986 and it took about 15 years for me to figure out what it was.  I dig the 12" remix and was pleased to find the single for $1.00 USD in 2004. 8)

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/10 at 7:39 pm

I have the US 12" Single of One to One's "Angel In My Pocket".  I first heard that song on a mixshow in 1986 and it took about 15 years for me to figure out what it was.  I dig the 12" remix and was pleased to find the single for $1.00 USD in 2004. 8)

That's a good price :)  It's a very hard to find 12"

Written By: Midas on 03/09/10 at 8:36 am

That's a good price :)  It's a very hard to find 12"

I think it may be a promo copy also :)

Subject: Re: 80s Album of the Week: Little River Band - Time Exposure (1981)

Written By: whistledog on 03/20/10 at 1:32 pm

Album #11:  Time Exposure - Little River Band (1981)

http://music.tonnel.ru/music/185203888_185203888forumtonnel.gif

TRACKLISTING
Side One:
01 | The Night Owls
02 | Man on Your Mind
03 | Take it Easy on Me
04 | Ballerina
05 | Love Will Survive

Side Two:
06 | Full Circle
07 | Just Say That You Love Me
08 | Suicide Boulevard
09 | Orbit Zero
10 | Don't Let the Needle Win
11 | Guiding Light

ALBUM CHART
US #21
CAN #32

1981 - The Night Owls 
1982 - Take it Easy on Me
1982 - Man on Your Mind

Little River Band are were an Australian Rock band and 'Time Exposure' was their 6th album, 5th one to chart in North America.  It was also their only album to place three singles into the US Top 20, and it was also the final appearance of original lead singer Glenn Shorrock.

From this line-up, the only remaining member is Wayne Nelson, who at the time was a new member and sang lead on 'The Night Owls'.  Over the years, members came and gone, so as a result, original members Shorrock, Beeb Birtles and Graham Goble lost the rights of the name, so they tour under 'Birtles, Shorrock, Goble'.  As well, due to legal action against Stephen Housden (then owner of the LRB name, and member of LRB from 1981-2006), the trio were also prevented from making references to LRB on their albums and in their shows.

As far as I know, no one in the current line-up of LRB is Australian.  If you ever want to see LRB in concert, don't go and see LRB, go and see 'Birtles, Shorrock, Goble' and get your money's worth.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFLdHx2ZXUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w3aXrKRPdM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C7GP81w-00

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/10 at 12:30 am

It's almost sad in a way that 'Time Exposure' was sort of the end of LRB's original years.  Shorrock had solo desires, and was replaced by John Farnham at the tail end of 1982.

♦ It was not a good move for Shorrock as his solo career stalled, bringing him just one (minor) chart single in the US with the fantastic 'Don't Girls Get Lonely' in 1983

♦ It was a good move for Farnham (a household name in his native Australia, yet unknown in North America), as LRB brought him into the North American chart for the first time, and served as a launching pad for his solo career, which despite being unsuccessful in the States, gave him 5 hits in Canada

Written By: alanbarnes on 03/26/10 at 1:55 pm

I really hate when these bands break up and there is a name dispute and you think you are going to see Three Dog Night, but really a guy who was a drum tech for 3 Dog won the name in court in a dispute over back pay and tours the name with unknowns in the band.  Some of the variations get comical, like Credence Clearwater Revisited.  I think ARS right now may be down to just Barry Bailiey and the original keyboard player if that.  Skynyrd is in a league of their own, but at least it was bad juju that took all their members, not petty BS fights over money.

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/10 at 9:46 pm

I really hate when these bands break up and there is a name dispute and you think you are going to see Three Dog Night, but really a guy who was a drum tech for 3 Dog won the name in court in a dispute over back pay and tours the name with unknowns in the band.  Some of the variations get comical, like Credence Clearwater Revisited.  I think ARS right now may be down to just Barry Bailiey and the original keyboard player if that.  Skynyrd is in a league of their own, but at least it was bad juju that took all their members, not petty BS fights over money.

With Little River Band, the original members released a live CD under the name 'Birtles, Shorrock, Goble' and pictured on the Live DVD was a marquee that read 'The Original Voices of Little River Band', which was later replaced with question marks.  On the CD, it originally appeared in small print in the upper right, but was also later removed.

They are in the Australian Music Hall of Fame, but neither John Farnham or later members such as Wayne Nelson or name trademark co-owner Stephen Housden were included in this induction as they were not part of the original line-up.  Farnham is in the Hall of Fame as a solo artist, but no current members of LRB are, yet the group continues to tour as that "legendary Australian group" despite most of the band now comprised of Americans.

In some fairness, Wayne Nelson is still with LRB.  He joined in 1980 and sang lead on 'The Night Owls'.  Stephen Housden joined in 1981, replacing original guitarist David Briggs, and first appeared on their 'Greatest Hits' album in 1982 with the singles 'The Other Guy' and 'Down on the Border'

I wonder what will happen when they will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Written By: Henk on 03/27/10 at 12:34 pm

Some additional information...

Album #9:  Avalon - Roxy Music (1982)

ALBUM CHART (Based on North America/UK charts)
UK #1
CAN #1
US #53
NL #1

SINGLES (Based on North America/UK charts)
1982 - More Than This
1982 - Avalon
1982 - Take A Chance With Me

In Holland, 'Avalon' was the most successful album by Roxy Music, with the title track being their most successful single. I don't have a copy of either, but I wouldn't mind owning one one bit.  8)

Sadly, "Take A Chance With Me" also was the band's last chart appearance in Holland.

Written By: Henk on 03/27/10 at 12:54 pm

In response to the Masquerade Album from a few weeks ago, the only Masquerade song I know is "Guardian Angel" which is pretty good.  The singer sounds older and reiminds me of the Greek singer Denis Roussos (who by the way has an AMAZING version of Air Supply's "Lost In Love).

I take it you mean Drafi Deutscher, who was about 38 at the time. He had a successful solo career (mainly in Germany) in the 1960's until he was caught in a rather embarrassing pose and fell out of grace. After that, he went incognito and scored hits under various aliases (Mr. Walkie Talkie, Mixed Emotions and Masquerade).
He died in 2006, aged 60.

Demis Roussos's version of "Lost In Love" made it to #2 in Dutch charts, BTW. His distinct vocals didn't charm the entire world, but it caught on very well in Holland (also as a member of Aphrodite's Child before his solo career).

Written By: Henk on 03/27/10 at 1:03 pm

Album #11:  Time Exposure - Little River Band (1981)

TRACKLISTING
Side One:
01 | The Night Owls
02 | Man on Your Mind
03 | Take it Easy on Me
04 | Ballerina
05 | Love Will Survive

Side Two:
06 | Full Circle
07 | Just Say That You Love Me
08 | Suicide Boulevard
09 | Orbit Zero
10 | Don't Let the Needle Win
11 | Guiding Light

ALBUM CHART
US #21
CAN #32

1981 - The Night Owls 
1982 - Take it Easy on Me
1982 - Man on Your Mind

As I've said before, LRB never really caught on in Holland. I honestly don't know why. 'The Night Owls' only made it to #61, and the other singles from the album missed the charts completely - as did the album.

Written By: Frank on 03/28/10 at 1:07 am

I recognize some songs from Time Exposure - Little River Band (1981)
And from "Album #9:  Avalon - Roxy Music (1982)", More than this is a afb song, so relaxing so mellow...I feel like a bird in fight when I hear that song.

Subject: Re: 80s Album of the Week: Kon Kan - Move to Move (1989)

Written By: whistledog on 04/29/10 at 9:43 am

Album #12Kon Kan - Move to Move (1989)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/KonKanMovetoMove320x320.jpg

TRACKLISTING
Side One:
01 | Arts in D Minor / Harry Houdini
02 | Bite the Bullet
03 | Move to Move
04 | I Can't Answer That

Side Two:
05 | I Beg Your Pardon (I Never Promised You A Rose Garden)
06 | Am I in Love
07 | Glue and Fire
08 | It Doesn't Matter
09 | Puss 'N Boots / These Boots are Made For Walkin'

Bonus tracks not available on the Vinyl LP version:
10 | Arts' in D Minor / Harry Houdini (Justin Strauss 12" Remix)
11 | I Beg Your Pardon (I Never Promised You A Rose Garden) (12" Remix)

ALBUM CHART
CAN #72

SINGLES (Based on North American and UK charts)
1988 - I Beg Your Pardon
1989 - Harry Houdini
1989 - Puss 'N Boots / These Boots Are Made For Walkin'
1989 - Move to Move

KON KAN was a Canadian dance act from Toronto featuring the initial duo of Barry Harris (vocals, keyboard, guitar) and Kevin Wynne (vocals).

Their name is based on the term "CAN CON", a short form meaning Canadian Content, a rule that mandates that 30% of songs heard on Canadian Radio must be Canadian (and meet the qualifications for CAN CON). Despite 4 hits in Canada on this album (as well as a few more on later releases in the 90s), they are branded as one hit wonders for their Lynn Anderson's Rose Garden sampled 'I Beg Your Pardon'

For those of you in Canada, you may already know that you don't have to be in the Top 40 to be on the radio, and all 4 singles got lots of radio play. Thanks to CAN CON, we got to hear KON KAN

I Beg Your Pardon
http://www.youtube.com/v/swnfPL8i4UM&hl

Harry Houdini
http://www.youtube.com/v/Zvvz7jCpWmU&hl

Puss N' Boots / These Boots Are Made For Walkin'
http://www.youtube.com/v/EkeMlkTqKgo&hl

Move to Move (Remix) - was not able to locate original version
http://www.youtube.com/v/8-3sq9Vfsgg&hl

Written By: Midas on 04/29/10 at 11:02 am

I have the 12" singles for "I Beg Your Pardon" and "Puss 'N Boots"/"These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" as well as some remixes of IBYP from Hot Tracks & Art Of Mix.  :)

Barry Harris went on to make some solo dance records as well as collaborating with Chris Cox of Hot Tracks Remix Serivce to form Thunderpuss.  As TP (or TP2K) they created and remixed some of the most popular club anthems around the turn of the century.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPVBngeWFo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOrHRKhmRIg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdEAq9QDIDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9_adsvLFug

Written By: nally on 04/29/10 at 11:11 pm

I only know "I Beg Your Pardon".

Written By: Frank on 04/30/10 at 6:12 pm

Great song. I think I had the Long Play for that one, back in the day.

Written By: Henk on 05/01/10 at 3:45 am

Yes, I too only knew "I Beg Your Pardon", but I gave the other songs a listen and actually quite like them.
Not sure if Kon Kan ever released a follow-up in Holland, but they should've.

While listening, I tried to figure out what other songs the guys 'borrowed' from... Well, for "Puss 'n Boots" it was pretty obvious: "These Boots Are Made For Walking", and did I hear some "Tequila" as well...?
"Harry Houdini" doesn't appear to borrow any lyrics, but they've cleverly used a melody line from "The Tide Is High" (at approx. 2:13).
And the "Move To Move" remix, well...that's one way of plugging your own recordings! (I assume this is their own remix..?)

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/10 at 4:51 pm

There is a bit of Tequila in 'Puss N Boots' as well as 'The Immigrant Song' by Led Zeppelin

Written By: Henk on 05/02/10 at 12:35 am

There is a bit of Tequila in 'Puss N Boots' as well as 'The Immigrant Song' by Led Zeppelin

Ah, yes... of course there is. I should've gotten that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/03/10 at 8:38 pm

That's a fun song, but I found nothing else of interest on that record.

Subject: Re: 80s Album of the Week: Propaganda - A Secret Wish (1985)

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/11 at 9:32 pm

Thought I'd bring back this thread.  For Album #13, is my pick for the best album of 1985:

Album #13Propaganda - A Secret Wish (1985)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61hazVNLWCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

TRACKLISTING
Side One: WITHIN:
01 | Dream Within A Dream
02 | The Murder of Love
03 | Jewel
04 | Duel

Side Two: WITHOUT:
05 | p:Machinery
06 | Sorry For Laughing
07 | Dr. Mabuse
08 | The Chase
09 | The Last Word / Strength to Dream

ALBUM CHART
UK #16
CAN #72

SINGLES (Based on UK charts)
1984 - Dr. Mabuse
1985 - Duel
1985 - p:Machinery

Propaganda were a German New wave group formed in 1982, initially featuring musicians Ralf Dorper and Michael Mertens and singers Suzanne Freytag and Claudia Brucken. 

They became the 3rd act signed to Trevor Horn's then new ZTT label behind Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Art of Noise.  Though 'A Secret Wish' did not make big noise in North America, it dod well in the UK, and the album was followed the next year by 'Wishful Thining' which was a collection of remixes from 'A Secret Wish'.  The group folded shortly after this, with Brucken going on to form a group called 'Act'.

Propaganda reformed in 1990 with new members and an album called '1234' in 1990 that did spawn success in the UK and Canada, but to date, it was their last album despite several reunion attempts in the 2000s

Dr. Mabuse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-IxPjdHhck&NR=1

Duel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLhYxLE8uCA

p:Machinery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0cFzZt4mc4

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/02/11 at 12:45 am

Gonna second that, even though I came here for the zillions of remixes of Propaganda's P:Machinery, Dr. Mabuse (ninth, thirteenth, I don't know why it hurts when your heart misses the beat, just pick a life!), and/or Duel ("The first cut won't hurt at all").

Thought I'd bring back this thread.  For Album #13, is my pick for the best album of 1985:

Album #13:  Propaganda - A Secret Wish (1985)

Well -played, sir, and Karma owed.  One of the most underrated acts of the mid-80s.

Written By: Henk on 07/02/11 at 2:24 am

Thought you'd might wanna know...

ALBUM CHART
UK #16
CAN #72
NL #6

SINGLES (Based on UK/NL charts)
1984 - Dr. Mabuse
1985 - Duel
1985 - p:Machinery

Written By: whistledog on 07/02/11 at 12:38 pm

^ That is excellent.  Glad to see 'Duel' made it into a Top 5. 

Written By: whistledog on 07/02/11 at 7:53 pm

The 2010 Double CD remaster of 'A Secret Wish' is fantastic.  It contains rare and unreleased mixes including the 20 minute version of 'Duel'.  

4+ minutes of that song alone is fantastic.  A 20 minute version is EPIC!  I only have a downloaded copy of this, but I think I may have to consider getting a hard copy on CD.  The more you listen to 'A Secret Wish', the better it gets 8)  

Subject: 80s Album of the Week: Modern Talking - Ready For Romance (1986)

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/11 at 12:04 am

Album #14 is one that not many people may recognize or have heard of, but even still, if you don't know it, you may enjoy it!:

Album #14:  Modern Talking - Ready For Romance (1986)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/Readyforromancealbum.jpg

TRACKLISTING
Side One:
01 | Brother Louie
02 | Just We Two (Mona Lisa)
03 | Lady Lai
04 | Doctor For My Heart
05 | Save Me - Don't Break Me

Side Two:
06 | Atlantis is Calling (S.O.S. For Love)
07 | Keep Love Alive
08 | Hey You
09 | Angie's Heart
10 | Only Love Can Break My Heart

ALBUM CHART
GER #1
UK #76

SINGLES (Based on German, UK and Canadian charts)
1986 - Brother Louie
1986 - Atlantis is Calling (S.O.S. For Love)

Modern Talking were a German europop duo consisting of Thomas Anders and Dieter Bohlen.  Ready For Romance was their 3rd album.  
With hits starting since 1984 in their homeland, the single 'Atlantis is Calling' gave them their 5th consecutive #1 in Germany.  In the UK, they had 4 hits in the charts, but were best known as One hit wonders there as 'Brother Louie' was their only Top 40 hit.  

The duo is also often known for having zero success in North America, which is incorrect.  In the US, it was true, but they did have a surprise hit in Canada with the lone charting 'Brother Louie' which did reach the Top 40.  Oddly enough, the album never charted in Canada, and I can't say as I have ever in my life seen it in a store (not even a used record shop)

In 1988, after 6 albums and 9 singles, the group parted ways, only to reform in 1998 for a run of 11 more singles over 6 more albums until they decided to again call it quits in 2003.

Brother Louie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp2qcCrdBLA

Atlantis is Calling (S.O.S. For Love)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB57CuT4smM

Subject: Re: 80s Album of the Week: Modern Talking - Ready For Romance (1986)

Written By: Howard on 07/20/11 at 6:32 am

Album #14 is one that not many people may recognize or have heard of, but even still, if you don't know it, you may enjoy it!:

Album #14:  Modern Talking - Ready For Romance (1986)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/Readyforromancealbum.jpg

TRACKLISTING
Side One:
01 | Brother Louie
02 | Just We Two (Mona Lisa)
03 | Lady Lai
04 | Doctor For My Heart
05 | Save Me - Don't Break Me

Side Two:
06 | Atlantis is Calling (S.O.S. For Love)
07 | Keep Love Alive
08 | Hey You
09 | Angie's Heart
10 | Only Love Can Break My Heart

ALBUM CHART
GER #1
UK #76

SINGLES (Based on German, UK and Canadian charts)
1986 - Brother Louie
1986 - Atlantis is Calling (S.O.S. For Love)

Modern Talking were a German europop duo consisting of Thomas Anders and Dieter Bohlen.  Ready For Romance was their 3rd album.  
With hits starting since 1984 in their homeland, the single 'Atlantis is Calling' gave them their 5th consecutive #1 in Germany.  In the UK, they had 4 hits in the charts, but were best known as One hit wonders there as 'Brother Louie' was their only Top 40 hit.  

The duo is also often known for having zero success in North America, which is incorrect.  In the US, it was true, but they did have a surprise hit in Canada with the lone charting 'Brother Louie' which did reach the Top 40.  Oddly enough, the album never charted in Canada, and I can't say as I have ever in my life seen it in a store (not even a used record shop)

In 1988, after 6 albums and 9 singles, the group parted ways, only to reform in 1998 for a run of 11 more singles over 6 more albums until they decided to again call it quits in 2003.

Brother Louie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp2qcCrdBLA

Atlantis is Calling (S.O.S. For Love)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB57CuT4smM

I've heard of Modern Talking.

Check for new replies or respond here...