inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MTV Clip from 1983

Written By: Dude111 on 07/23/08 at 8:32 pm

Oh my,.the memories!!

Brings tears watching this (Its so beautifull)

Part 1 > http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-5905210375134304831 (1Hr 25Min)

Part 2 > http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=5141974708608716448 (1Hr 39Min)

Subject: Re: MTV Clip from 1983

Written By: Atari on 07/23/08 at 8:46 pm

Oh yeah... I've got this. I downloaded it from usenet ages ago. Great stuff. i got most of my MTV bumpers for my MTV 1981 fan myspace page (see link) from these videos.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/23/08 at 8:57 pm

Once upon a time, Youtube had a very large collection of clips off television channels like MTV, Nickelodeon, etc. that are now gone. They even had the whole first hour of the day MTV launched back in 1981. All those are gone now, so it's nice to see videos like this still up somewhere else.

As far as the videos, MTV sure has changed alot in 25 years. :(

Written By: Dude111 on 07/23/08 at 9:35 pm

That is an understatement!!

MTV IS UTTER GARBAGE NOW!!  (M2 also)

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/23/08 at 10:19 pm

Empty T.V. nothing but stupid reality shows and sheesh** videos.

Written By: midnite on 07/25/08 at 12:02 am

Nice videos.  The Star Trek video game commercial at 22:07 on the second video is hysterical.  Great videos I havent seen in a long time.

Written By: ChEcKeReD DeMoN on 07/25/08 at 5:18 pm

Ill have to watch those vids in bits and pieces.....
I remember the media ramp-up to MTV well. We all gathered 'round the the TV to
check it out. In my circle of freinds, not too many people even had cable back then
so it was all the more intriguing. The first vid was the Buggles, Video killed the Radio Star.
Great stuff abounded !!!  Mexican Radio, Whip it, etc......Any young male lusted for Nina Blackwood  ;D  ;D

Now, as a boring and angry old man, I refuse to watch MTV because it really is just an unending, shameless advertisment for
a violent, declasse and socially unacceptable lifestyle. :\'(

Written By: johnny5alive on 07/26/08 at 8:43 pm

As far as the videos, MTV sure has changed alot in 25 years...............................................  yeah!  they stopped playing them!!! ::) ::) ::)

Written By: Dude111 on 07/26/08 at 11:06 pm

Now, as a boring and angry old man, I refuse to watch MTV because it really is just an unending, shameless advertisment for
a violent, declasse and socially unacceptable lifestyle. :\'(
Yes....Anyone that partakes in one of those shows is a total loser...... (IMO)

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 07/29/08 at 8:15 am

This stuff is like pure gold.  It was so wise of someone to just press record on their VCR and let it go.  Some of the commercials are such a riot as well.

Plus, you gotta love Michael Bolton's "attempt at being a hard rock act"  video  8-P

Written By: johnny5alive on 07/29/08 at 10:09 am

at the time i realilzed i was watching something that might not last, so i recorded almost every time i watched as a result i have about 10 six hour tapes full of videos that i like and a few i didnt, (fell asleep while recording)  i still watch them from time to time, beats me how mtv/vh1 are still on the air??? 8-P

Written By: midnite on 07/29/08 at 7:45 pm

at the time i realilzed i was watching something that might not last, so i recorded almost every time i watched as a result i have about 10 six hour tapes full of videos that i like and a few i didnt, (fell asleep while recording)  i still watch them from time to time, beats me how mtv/vh1 are still on the air??? 8-P

So you could forsee the demise of MTV as what was probably its peak in 1983?  May I suggest playing the lottery.

Written By: johnny5alive on 07/29/08 at 8:23 pm

no,  i actually thought the peak was about 1989 and after that they showed fewer and fewer videos, and when the did it was a countdown of sorts, but they even ruined those, by not showing the WHOLE video! then vh1 and m2 seemed to pick up where mtv left off, but even they went south around 1995 or so

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/29/08 at 11:06 pm

no,  i actually thought the peak was about 1989 and after that they showed fewer and fewer videos, and when the did it was a countdown of sorts, but they even ruined those, by not showing the WHOLE video! then vh1 and m2 seemed to pick up where mtv left off, but even they went south around 1995 or so

Yes, all of the networks that have come along after MTV have all tired to continue the 24 hour music video tradition that MTV first started. Most of them succeeded at first, but all of them have faced the same fate. VH1 is a shell of it's former self, and MTV2 (which was ironically started to do what the original MTV once did) has basically become an exact clone of the major network. 5 or 6 years ago, Fuse mirrored MTV in the early and mid '80s in the amount of videos they showed, but now that network has also began the slow decline process.

The truth is, with Youtube and the internet as a whole becoming a quicker way to see the video you want to see, the music networks will probably never return to what they once were. The current best bet is still VH1 Classic. They still show about 85% to 90% videos, and in all honesty, the video's they show are way better than the crap MTV would likely show anyway.

Written By: johnny5alive on 07/30/08 at 9:50 am

The truth is, with Youtube and the internet as a whole becoming a quicker way to see the video you want to see..................................................... maybe its just me but i would rather watch a 35 inch picture instead of a 6 inch picture! ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/30/08 at 10:13 am

The truth is, with Youtube and the internet as a whole becoming a quicker way to see the video you want to see..................................................... maybe its just me but i would rather watch a 35 inch picture instead of a 6 inch picture! ;D

I wasn't necessarily saying that Youtube was better than MTV used to be, I was just saying that it would be hard for MTV or VH1 to show videos at the same rate they used to, and be able to compete with Youtube. The main demographic for MTV (teenagers) spend more time on the internet today than watching tv anyways.

Besides, on Youtube you can watch any video you want to from any decade you want to, if MTV started showing videos again, most of them would probably be either rap or that emo crap. ;)

Written By: ILUV80S on 09/01/08 at 8:35 pm

Totally awesome links!  Hilarious how you used to need a special hookup from the cable company to get MTV in stereo  ;D

Written By: johnny5alive on 09/01/08 at 10:00 pm

when i first got cable and mtv, you did need to hook up your stereo with cable to get the stereo sound, remeber no vcrs or tvs had stereo back then!  after i bought my first stereo vcr i didnt need the extra cable for the stereo, and still have this vcr hooked up, only to watch music videos or vcr movies.

Check for new replies or respond here...