inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone remember the group In Pursuit and the '87 song Counting on Monday or.....

Written By: 1987BESTYEAR on 07/25/08 at 1:17 pm

Hello,
  I am looking for the 1987 song by In Pursuit called (I think) 'Counting on Monday' or maybe it's called 'Thin Line' the words go:

Monday morning and it feels too late, how can I deal with the hands of fate, running in circles, running down this empty town to you,you took it all from me, too tired to think the whole thing through, forever the road to get to you...
Chorus:
walking on a thin line,
walking on a thin line,

Something to live for means nothin to me.  I've lost the lust for life, you see.?????????????????

This song is very significant to me and it has vanished off the earth.  I can't find anything about the group on the Internet and no one seems to remember the song.  I see that there are a few others looking as well. I had it on an old cassette tape I recorded it off the radio several years ago which I no longer have. If you remember the song or even better, have it.....I would be willing to trade some songs from my extensive 80's collection.  I believe the song came from the album "Standing in Your Shadow"  I see the albums for sale every once in a while but albums will not help me...I need something on cd, or better Mp3 format.  I would really appreciate anyone's help on this  :D

Thanks

Subject: Re: Anyone remember the group In Pursuit and the '87 song Counting on Monday or.....

Written By: LT on 04/27/09 at 4:24 pm

Hi, there (assuming that this is still your email address) ~~

Were you ever able to obtain this song?

Meaningful for me, also ... owning 1000+ albums ~ it's the ONLY song I ever paid someone to rip from Vinyl to CD.

Let me know.

Subject: Re: Anyone remember the group In Pursuit and the '87 song Counting on Monday or.....

Written By: Deb on 04/17/12 at 4:55 pm

I am just now seeing your message three years later!!!  No, I have not found the song yet!  I am hoping this message gets to you.  I see now that they have a video on YouTube but the sound quality is extremely poor.  Here's hoping you still have this email address.....................

THANKS!!!

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/19/12 at 12:50 am

I see now that they have a video on YouTube but the sound quality is extremely poor.

Walking on a thin line

Monday morning and it feels too late,
How can I deal with the hands of fate,
Running in circles,
Running down this empty town,
To you,
You took it all from me.

Too tired to think the whole thing through,
Forever the road to get to you,

Walking on a thin line.

Something to live for is nothing to me,
I lost the lust for life you see,
The wheels are rolling,
Rolling down this empty town,
To you,
I gave it all to you.

Too tired to think the whole thing through,
Forever the road to get to you,
Walking on a thin line.

So I'm knocking on your door,
Remember what I came for,
Walking on a thin line.

djNqBC_ZSPI

In Pursuit, Thin Line.

RG-CSFdh1jI

In Pursuit, Thin Line.

I'm doubling up on the URLs here.  The first one has the transcription of the lyrics.  The second one has better audio quality and proves the song's name was actually "Thin Line".  They both appear to be rips of an official video aired at least once on VH-1.

That gave me what I needed to screen out the thousands of other tracks with very similar names from a more popular 80s band, and come up with this:

The original poster is looking for Side B, Track 4, (aka Track 9) from In Pursuit: Standing In Your Shadow, 1986.  (MTM Records - ST 71057).  Before that, there was also a 5-track EP, When Darkness Falls. (MTM Music Munchen / MP-72150)

"Playing together as members of various early-'80s Cleveland bands, guitarist Jay Joyce and bass player Emma Grandillo decided to try their hand in Nashville, moving to the Music City in 1983. A 7" EP self-released by the pair as In Pursuit was poorly received, but their live shows were beginning to attract a following. A chance meeting with drummer Jeff Boggs, a Pittsburgh native who had played with Joyce and Grandillo on occasion in the Northeast, led to Boggs joining the band. In Pursuit became the first act signed to MTM Records, a label started by the powerful television-production company named for Mary Tyler Moore by her (then) husband Grant Tinker. In Pursuit's When Darkness Falls, a five-song EP, was released in 1985, followed by a full-length album, Standing in Your Shadow, in 1986. After tours with Mr. Mister and Starship, In Pursuit broke up when MTM was bought and shut down by British investors. Grandillo pursued a solo career as a performer and songwriter, placing songs with Garth Brooks, among others. Jay Joyce formed Bedlam in 1990 with Questionnaires members Doug Lancio and Chris Feinstein, later joining with Feinstein to form the indie rock band Iodine. During the '90s, Joyce became a sought-after guitarist, playing with the likes of Iggy Pop and the Wallflowers. As a producer, Joyce has worked with Patty Griffin, John Hiatt, and Tim Finn."

Sources: this thread (we rock, woo hoo!), Deb's post (on behalf of the original poster, thank you, because I would not have gotten anywhere without someone telling me that someone had upped it to YouTube last year!), a little Googling, a little Discoggery, and allmusic.com for In Pursuit's biography.

Written By: tomj1963 on 09/25/13 at 5:07 am

In Pursuit is one of my favorite groups ever.  I wore out the cassette I had.  I recently discovered Rubyhorse and found out the lead singer of IN pursuit Jay Joyce was connected to it.

Written By: Aquadrenaline on 11/02/13 at 1:50 am

Hi, there (assuming that this is still your email address) ~~

Were you ever able to obtain this song?

Meaningful for me, also ... owning 1000+ albums ~ it's the ONLY song I ever paid someone to rip from Vinyl to CD.

Let me know.
The song was "Walking On A Thin Line", which was performed by In Pursuit. The album was "Standing In Your Shadow." I haven't been able to find it on CD, but the Cassette and Vinly versions are on sale on Amazon. You can also watch the video on "YouTube." Cheers and good listening!

Written By: wpmsd on 09/27/14 at 2:16 pm

It's LONG since you posted a request for "Thin Line" by In Pursuit, but if you are still looking for an MP3 of it, I'll email it to you. It was a great song, but as far as I know, it is unavailable for purchase anywhere, as if it never existed. It's a shame. My email address is (substituting "@" for "at") mea43atsan.rr.com

Check for new replies or respond here...