inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you know the name of this song?

Written By: lucy03 on 07/31/08 at 12:27 pm

I was pretty young in the 80's, but there's this song I once heard on the radio that has haunted me for years and years now. I think there was a little girl either singing or talking about being molested and there was also a man's voice. I think he may have even been called "Lester." I have no idea how the song even goes or if I'm getting it mixed up with a movie or what so any help would be greatly appreciated so hopefully I can get this song out of the back of my head. I remember it being a very disturbing song (obviously because of the subject) and it used to make me very sad so I would like to put this old memory to rest.

Thanks for your help!

Subject: Re: Do you know the name of this song?

Written By: Bobby on 07/31/08 at 4:31 pm

There was a dark song in the 80s that was called Luka by Suzanne Vega, which dealt with similar themes.

Written By: gibbo on 07/31/08 at 5:06 pm

There was a dark song in the 80s that was called Luka by Suzanne Vega, which dealt with similar themes.

I was thinking of this exact song Bobby. One of my favourite 80's songs..." If you hear something late at night..some kind of trouble, some kind of fight..just don't ask me what it was"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXvHRnGe940

Written By: lucy on 08/01/08 at 10:58 am

Thanks guys, but I don't think Luka is the song that's been haunting me.

Maybe somebody else can figure it out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/08 at 11:02 am

Can it be Hey Matthew by Karel Fialka you are thinking of?

Written By: robby76 on 08/01/08 at 11:08 am

Can it be Hey Matthew by Karel Fialka you are thinking of?

Oh Phillip you are a star! I completely forgot all about "Hey Matthew"! I used to love it as a kid. Must track it down to see what it was all about.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/08 at 11:31 am

Oh Phillip you are a star! I completely forgot all about "Hey Matthew"! I used to love it as a kid. Must track it down to see what it was all about.
It is on YouTube.

Written By: Beamer on 08/01/08 at 12:02 pm

It sounds like "Luka" by Suzanne Vega which was released in 1987. The video is on the VH-1 Classics website at

http://www.vh1classic.com/view/artist/802/99056/Suzanne_Vega/Luka/index.jhtml.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Written By: Bobby on 08/02/08 at 3:56 pm

There was also a song called 'Where the wild roses grow' sung by Kylie Minogue and Nick Cave about a woman who gets killed by a man - trouble is that was made in the 90s.

Another song called Lament by Si Kahn & John McCutcheon made in 1986 goes along similar themes.

I looked through this website: http://creativefolk.com/abusesongs.html

Written By: 80srockboy on 08/02/08 at 9:04 pm

seems like Luka

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/03/08 at 1:59 am

Susan Vega - 192 - My Name is Luka
http://www.zshare.net/audio/164466299576a834/

Written By: Bobby on 08/03/08 at 7:28 am

^ and ^^

Lucy confirmed it isn't 'Luka'.

Written By: karen on 08/03/08 at 3:46 pm

Lucy.  Can you recall any of the lyrics?  Roughly what year did you hear it and where did you hear it?  It may only have been a local hit?

Written By: midnite on 08/04/08 at 8:17 pm

Though not from the 80's, and most of his songs are gruesome, but this song sounds like a Nick Cave song.  Any ideas?  I vaguely remember of song of his about a guy going after a girl.

Written By: goin'batty on 02/09/13 at 10:08 am

Wow, almost five years, and no one here got this one?!? Clearly it's "Dear Mr. Jesus" by Powersource ftg. Sharon Batts. Charted in the U.S. in December of '87. Tsk tsk, people... :-\\

Written By: Bobby on 02/09/13 at 3:41 pm

Wow, almost five years, and no one here got this one?!? Clearly it's "Dear Mr. Jesus" by Powersource ftg. Sharon Batts. Charted in the U.S. in December of '87. Tsk tsk, people... :-\\

Well done.  8)

It would be cool to see you here as a member.

Written By: goin'batty on 02/10/13 at 3:26 pm

Well done.  8)

It would be cool to see you here as a member.

Thanks for the invite. :) Back in the early days of this web site, I actually was a registered member and posted regularly, from 1999 until about 2004. (What's this "Karamel Sutra" thing now??? Sounds more like a popularity contest.) Back then, I pretty much held whistledog's role as resident '70s/'80s/'90s music expert on these boards (although I never took a Moderator's position here). Helped ChuckyG by sending him some hard-to-find '80s tunes he was looking for, and even spoke to him over the phone once...

I still occasionally check in a couple times a year, and have been slowly working my way back through the archives over the last few weeks, just for kicks. Only recognize about three or four names that are still around from 10-15 years ago, though. :( whistledog seems to have been doing a pretty good job of filling my shoes - although I think he's a bit too rigid w/ his chart nos. and what defines a "hit", lol. (And at times I've found myself shaking my head at his answers - e.g., in one thread, he actually stated that The Cult never had a hit single on the U.S. pop charts. Really???) Looks like he's started a lot of cool music-related topics over the last few years, though. And to be fair, most of the time you folks do seem pretty quick at finding the right answers whenever someone posts a question about a "mystery song", be it from just a few lyrics or a vague description of the video, which was my specialty here back in the day... ;)

Anyway, nice to see ChuckyG's site still going strong, a decade later - now back to "lurker" mode, and the occasional random post... :P

Written By: Bobby on 02/10/13 at 5:14 pm

Thanks for the invite. :) Back in the early days of this web site, I actually was a registered member and posted regularly, from 1999 until about 2004. (What's this "Karamel Sutra" thing now??? Sounds more like a popularity contest.) Back then, I pretty much held whistledog's role as resident '70s/'80s/'90s music expert on these boards (although I never took a Moderator's position here). Helped ChuckyG by sending him some hard-to-find '80s tunes he was looking for, and even spoke to him over the phone once...

I still occasionally check in a couple times a year, and have been slowly working my way back through the archives over the last few weeks, just for kicks. Only recognize about three or four names that are still around from 10-15 years ago, though. :( whistledog seems to have been doing a pretty good job of filling my shoes - although I think he's a bit too rigid w/ his chart nos. and what defines a "hit", lol. (And at times I've found myself shaking my head at his answers - e.g., in one thread, he actually stated that The Cult never had a hit single on the U.S. pop charts. Really???) Looks like he's started a lot of cool music-related topics over the last few years, though. And to be fair, most of the time you folks do seem pretty quick at finding the right answers whenever someone posts a question about a "mystery song", be it from just a few lyrics or a vague description of the video, which was my specialty here back in the day... ;)

Anyway, nice to see ChuckyG's site still going strong, a decade later - now back to "lurker" mode, and the occasional random post... :P

Wow. Well what do you know? I may have seen you on the boards. Did you go by the name 'goin'batty' before or use another username?

CatwomanofV, Don Carlos, Howard and CeramicsFanatic are long-term legends of Inthe00s. Paul started roughly the same time as I did in 2003. To be honest, I miss a lot of former members here - they were so much fun.  :)

The 'karamel sutra' thing is a way of giving positive/negative feedback to people's posts and was introduced in the last few years I think. I think it's nice when someone gives me positive feedback but I haven't frequented this board enough to make it a contest feature, lol.

Whatever happens in the future, if you do decide to come back as a member I will be here to welcome you. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/13 at 5:31 pm

Wow. Well what do you know? I may have seen you on the boards. Did you go by the name 'goin'batty' before or use another username?

CatwomanofV, Don Carlos, Howard and CeramicsFanatic are long-term legends of Inthe00s. Paul started roughly the same time as I did in 2003. To be honest, I miss a lot of former members here - they were so much fun.  :)

The 'karamel sutra' thing is a way of giving positive/negative feedback to people's posts and was introduced in the last few years I think. I think it's nice when someone gives me positive feedback but I haven't frequented this board enough to make it a contest feature, lol.

Whatever happens in the future, if you do decide to come back as a member I will be here to welcome you. :)

I'm a legend??  :o :o :o  I am honored.

Please  goin'batty, join us. We are always looking for fresh meat new (old) members. Some of us may remember you if you tell us what name you were registered under.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 02/10/13 at 5:35 pm

I'm a legend??  :o :o :o  I am honored.

Of course you are. You are a long-term well respected member here. :)

Please  goin'batty, join us. We are always looking for fresh meat new (old) members. Some of us may remember you if you tell us what name you were registered under.

Haha, the peer pressure has started already...  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 02/10/13 at 5:39 pm

What was your name?  I have been here a long time, I went by dagwood back then. :)

Written By: Howard on 02/10/13 at 7:36 pm

CatwomanofV, Don Carlos, Howard and CeramicsFanatic are long-term legends of Inthe00s. Paul started roughly the same time as I did in 2003. To be honest, I miss a lot of former members here - they were so much fun

Wow I'm a legend, I'm honored!  :o

Written By: goin'batty on 02/14/13 at 3:00 pm

Again, thanks. :) I used a different username back then (1999-2004). The last few years (as an unregistered user, or "guest") whenever I've left the occasional post, I've simply chosen a username that somehow relates to the thread topic - go back and re-read my original post in this one, and you should be able to figure out how/why I picked "goin'batty" this time. ;D A few weeks ago, I used "awfan" when posting a response to whistledog re: Andy Warhol in another thread. ;) Just a sly attempt at some humor... :P

Yep, definitely remember CeramicsFanatic, CatwomanofV, and I seem to recall Howard coming on board not long before I left - oh, and yes, dagnabbit as "dagwood"... 8)

Will continue to dig through the archives - time permitting, of course. Carry on! ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/14/13 at 3:08 pm

Again, thanks. :) I used a different username back then (1999-2004). The last few years (as an unregistered user, or "guest") whenever I've left the occasional post, I've simply chosen a username that somehow relates to the thread topic - go back and re-read my original post in this one, and you should be able to figure out how/why I picked "goin'batty" this time. ;D A few weeks ago, I used "awfan" when posting a response to whistledog re: Andy Warhol in another thread. ;) Just a sly attempt at some humor... :P

Yep, definitely remember CeramicsFanatic, CatwomanofV, and I seem to recall Howard coming on board not long before I left - oh, and yes, dagnabbit as "dagwood"... 8)

Will continue to dig through the archives - time permitting, of course. Carry on! ;)

And what was your user name when you were a member?

Cat

Written By: Tam on 02/14/13 at 3:30 pm

(1999-2004).

Perhaps you have your years confused and your reason for leaving?...

Written By: Mushroom on 02/14/13 at 3:45 pm

I thought of that myself, but do not remember a man's voice in the song, nor do I remember it being about child molestation (it was however about physical child abuse).

Written By: Bobby on 02/14/13 at 6:58 pm

I do like my humour sly with a twist of dark. The British way. ;D

We probably did meet then but maybe didn't connect as you left and I started.

Yes, I accidentally forgot Dagny.

Here are a couple of old members I remember from that time (around 2003). You may know them (not sure if I have written these correctly):

Zella
Rocknrollfan
Jonman (I think he got banned from here just as I started)
SouthernSpitfire
AbsolutelyVile

Take care of yourself.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/14/13 at 11:04 pm

I do like my humour sly with a twist of dark. The British way. ;D

We probably did meet then but maybe didn't connect as you left and I started.

Yes, I accidentally forgot Dagny.

Here are a couple of old members I remember from that time (around 2003). You may know them (not sure if I have written these correctly):

Zella
Rocknrollfan
Jonman (I think he got banned from here just as I started)
SouthernSpitfire
AbsolutelyVile

Take care of yourself.  :)

Don't forget Andrew Talking Walnut

And there was a guy named Pretty Pete who had a Mike Score avatar...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDStfJOouxo51XgoXa62maZwnHrf-GYG-XMzc9i9RGJASleea9

Written By: Howard on 02/15/13 at 6:22 am

So why don't you sign on?  :)

Written By: Bobby on 02/15/13 at 8:42 pm

Don't forget Andrew Talking Walnut

He was amazing!  ;D

I think Walnut arrived around 2004-ish? If I remember correctly, he was a very detached individual who would write repeated messages to himself. People would write to him and he would never answer back and would just go on as if their posts never existed. Then one day he snapped and threatened to kill his psychiatrist. 

Do you remember robocop, Max? What a poetic genius that man was. A paranoid individual who wrote garbled rubbish in his posts. DAK used to royally take the mick out of his writing style. Strangely enough, robocop would take a liking to me and send me PMs simply saying "hi".

And there was a guy named Pretty Pete who had a Mike Score avatar...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDStfJOouxo51XgoXa62maZwnHrf-GYG-XMzc9i9RGJASleea9

He rings a bell and I can see him in my mind but don't remember what he wrote.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/13 at 10:02 pm

He was amazing!  ;D

I think Walnut arrived around 2004-ish? If I remember correctly, he was a very detached individual who would write repeated messages to himself. People would write to him and he would never answer back and would just go on as if their posts never existed. Then one day he snapped and threatened to kill his psychiatrist. 

Do you remember robocop, Max? What a poetic genius that man was. A paranoid individual who wrote garbled rubbish in his posts. DAK used to royally take the mick out of his writing style. Strangely enough, robocop would take a liking to me and send me PMs simply saying "hi".

He rings a bell and I can see him in my mind but don't remember what he wrote.

I just remember Pretty Pete from his avatar!  Robocop I remember learning to ignore like a spam banner ad.  There was "The Dude" or "Duderino" or "Jack Nicholson" who I used to counsel in PMs (that's personal messages, not what he got every month) not to post kamikaze attacks that would get him banned.  But like every good kamikaze, he seen his duty and seen it done!  There was GeorgeWBush2004 who used to make me hopping mad with his right-wing agitprop.  And there was a mean old guy called Orange.  Haven't seen NASCARFan around in years.  I know she had some health problems, hope she's okay.

Written By: Howard on 02/16/13 at 6:32 am

I remember Robocop, what an annoying kid.

Check for new replies or respond here...