inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1980's popsicles

Written By: epile on 08/05/08 at 10:32 pm

I remember having a certain kind of popsicle as a kid in the 80's.  They came in a plastic tube, like flavor ice, but instead of being icy they were a kind of creamy popsicle.  If I remember correctly some of the flavors included watermelon and butterscotch.  They were delicious!  Anyone have any idea what they were called or if they have been discontinued?  I can not find them anywhere!!

Subject: Re: 1980's popsicles

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/05/08 at 10:33 pm

I remember having a certain kind of popsicle as a kid in the 80's.  They came in a plastic tube, like flavor ice, but instead of being icy they were a kind of creamy popsicle.  If I remember correctly some of the flavors included watermelon and butterscotch.  They were delicious!  Anyone have any idea what they were called or if they have been discontinued?  I can not find them anywhere!!

was it a push up?

Written By: epile on 08/05/08 at 10:37 pm

no - not a push up.  just like the flavor ices in a clear plastic sleeve.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/06/08 at 12:08 am

They went by various names.  The one that comes to mind from childhood is Mr. Freeze. 

The one that comes to mind from adulthood is the one I was given by a giant squirrel.  A couple of years ago (August 11, 2006), I was minding my own business in downtown San Jose, just waiting for the army of flamethrowing robots to come in and lay waste to the 30-foot-tall golden idol in the parking lot, and this pixelated electroluminescent-wire-illuminated ice cream van pulls up onto the sidewalk.  A polygonal-headed squirrel starts handing out fistfuls of fruit-flavored frozen push-ups.  Then, when enough of us are slurping hungrily on frozen ice treats, the squirrel gets out, puts up a poster from 1985 on a nearby piece of telephone switching equipment, and asks random ice-push-up-eaters (the squirrel cannot speak, of course, because it is, after all, a squirrel, but it's wearing a T-shirt that reads "YES, YOU!", which makes its intentions pretty clear) to perform karaoke in the back of the van.  The squirrel sits down on a log and watches along with the rest of us.  The karaoke was awesome, the ice treats were the perfect thing on a warm summer evening, and the squirrel was happy enough with our performances to hold up a sign calling for applause, so we had that going for us.  And the robot apocalypse went off on schedule without a hitch.  Perfect ending to a perfect night. 

One of my few points of personal pride is that I'm still not sure at what point in that story to insert the sentence "Then it gets weird."

Other than to echo the original poster's question - just how many different names were there for flavored ices in plastic sleeves?

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/06/08 at 8:47 am

They went by various names.  The one that comes to mind from childhood is Mr. Freeze. 

The one that comes to mind from adulthood is the one I was given by a giant squirrel.  A couple of years ago (August 11, 2006), I was minding my own business in downtown San Jose, just waiting for the army of flamethrowing robots to come in and lay waste to the 30-foot-tall golden idol in the parking lot, and this pixelated electroluminescent-wire-illuminated ice cream van pulls up onto the sidewalk.  A polygonal-headed squirrel starts handing out fistfuls of fruit-flavored frozen push-ups.  Then, when enough of us are slurping hungrily on frozen ice treats, the squirrel gets out, puts up a poster from 1985 on a nearby piece of telephone switching equipment, and asks random ice-push-up-eaters (the squirrel cannot speak, of course, because it is, after all, a squirrel, but it's wearing a T-shirt that reads "YES, YOU!", which makes its intentions pretty clear) to perform karaoke in the back of the van.  The squirrel sits down on a log and watches along with the rest of us.  The karaoke was awesome, the ice treats were the perfect thing on a warm summer evening, and the squirrel was happy enough with our performances to hold up a sign calling for applause, so we had that going for us.  And the robot apocalypse went off on schedule without a hitch.  Perfect ending to a perfect night. 

One of my few points of personal pride is that I'm still not sure at what point in that story to insert the sentence "Then it gets weird."

Other than to echo the original poster's question - just how many different names were there for flavored ices in plastic sleeves?
Was LSD involved in any way?  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/06/08 at 11:04 pm

Was LSD involved in any way?  ;D

About the time the squirrel started asking us to do karaoke, I wondered about that myself.  But the camera didn't eat the freezesicles.

Written By: Kath on 05/14/11 at 10:52 pm

I was just thinking about these the other day
Was it Ice & Creamies
I bought them at discount store and a Rite Aid Drug store
They have A & W Root Beer out this year

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/15/11 at 1:45 am

I forgot about this thread.  The Internet, mercifully (?) never forgets.

Was LSD involved in any way?  ;D

I wasn't making it up!  Observe!  Squirrel!  T-shirt saying "YES, YOU!".  The giving away of frozen push-ups.  A sign saying "applause!"  At 1:33 into the video, the date "August 11, 2006" is clearly legible!  And of course there was karaoke!

See?  Here's proof!

9HASXz7RB5U

"Karaoke Ice brings three familiar forms of network culture into conversation - ice cream trucks, datasets and karaoke bars."

Written By: karen on 05/15/11 at 3:37 am

So Foo, were you in the natty waistcoat or the sharp cap?

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/15/11 at 5:06 am

So Foo, were you in the natty waistcoat or the sharp cap?

Neither.  I was somewhere in the audience, although I couldn't pick myself out at Youtube resolution.  I'm just glad someone recorded the whole thing, because if I hadn't been there to experience it for myself, I wouldn't have believed my story either.  (Unrelated to the squirrel, I wasn't kidding about the robotic apocalypse either!)  Awesome day.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/15/11 at 11:09 am

Karma to you Foo, for lifting my spirits today!

Check for new replies or respond here...