inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jackson Browne's early-mid '80s songs (discussion)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/10/08 at 1:33 pm

His songs from then seem to have that innocent, easygoing pop/rock sound - like Huey Lewis or Rick Springfleld with more political lyrics, lol.

I only knew three of his songs as a kid ("Lawyers in Love", "Running on Empty" and "Somebody's Baby") but they've always been longtime faves. I got a couple of his albums in high school (that's when I started digging deeper into stuff), so I discovered some songs I never knew before, like:

That Girl Could Sing - midtempo, slightly dark love song with a poppy beat and some keyboards
Boulevard - fun rocker song that's very '80s and guitar oriented
Call it a Loan - longing-type love song, seems almost like a new wave/country mix!
On the Day - mildly upbeat feelgood pop, sounds like it's encouraging love
Say it isn't True - socially conscious synth ballad that seems like mood music
For a Rocker - arena rock song about throwing a loud party, lol
In the Shape of a Heart - heartbreaking synthpop ballad (appears to be about a suicide)
Lawless Avenues - Almost dancey type '80s pop song with a political influence

Subject: Re: Jackson Browne's early-mid '80s songs (discussion)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/10/08 at 2:56 pm

Unfortunately, the only song of his that I know really well is "Running On Empty". My parents liked that song alot back in the day, and I probably heard it about a million times. I have heard "Somebody's Baby" before, and I think "Call It a Loan" too, but that's about it.

If his other songs sound anything like "Running On Empty" then I bet there all great. ;)

Written By: ADH13 on 08/10/08 at 3:16 pm

I really like The Load Out/Stay from the Running on Empty album.

Written By: snozberries on 08/10/08 at 5:30 pm

Lawyers in Love is a great song!

I also like Tender is the Night and Somebody's Baby but I always forget about these until someone else reminds me they exist.

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/10/08 at 5:46 pm

Lawyers in Love was a great album.  I really love For A Rocker and Tender Is The Night.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/10/08 at 8:37 pm

Lawyers in Love was a great album.  I really love For A Rocker and Tender Is The Night.

Yeah I really like it too. :) It's funny 'cause my mom had that tape back in the day, but all I ever heard was the title song. Mom usually would just listen to the hit singles and rewind/fast forward the rest, so lots of stuff I didn't even hear as a little kid. I rebought it in high school, and that was the first time I heard the other songs (although "Tender" sounded familar, so I must've heard it on the radio without knowing it).

Unfortunately, the only song of his that I know really well is "Running On Empty". My parents liked that song alot back in the day, and I probably heard it about a million times. I have heard "Somebody's Baby" before, and I think "Call It a Loan" too, but that's about it.

If his other songs sound anything like "Running On Empty" then I bet there all great. ;)

Good stuff dude, that's one of his best songs. :) I think you'd probably like the Hold Out, Lawyers in Love and Lives in the Balance songs. I'd say those are pretty similar, but more '80s sounding.

I was shocked to learn he was a folk singer who TURNED poppy. Since all I knew were a few of his pop songs, I assumed they'd all sound that way. I got his greatest hits album in the late '90s and on the first few songs I was like WTF? Although I slowly learned to appreciate those too.

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/10/08 at 9:18 pm

I was shocked to learn he was a folk singer who TURNED poppy.

Jackson Browne is also responsible for co-writing "Take It Easy" with the Eagles.

Written By: nally on 08/10/08 at 11:11 pm

"Somebody's Baby" is the only 80's song of his that I know (and like) the best. :) The only other songs of his that I am familiar with are from the 70's...and my parents have one of his albums from back then.

Written By: whistledog on 08/10/08 at 11:18 pm

I love (and remember) all these ...

1972 - Doctor My Eyes
1977 - Running on Empty
1980 - Boulevard
1982 - Somebody's Baby
1983 - Lawyers in Love
1985 - You're A Friend of Mine (with Clarence Clemons)
1986 - For America
1993 - I'm Alive

Written By: midnite on 08/11/08 at 6:25 pm

I discovered Jackson Browne a few years ago.  I love most of his 70s music, especially the early stuff.  My favorites from the 80s are:

Tender Is The Night
Somebody's Baby
Boulevard
Call It A Loan
In The Shape Of A Heart

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/13/08 at 10:48 pm

I really love "Running On Empty", "Somebody's Baby" and "Boulevard".  :)

Written By: snozberries on 09/27/08 at 11:03 pm

He's got a concert coming up in Santa Barbara...or maybe it just past...I forget.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/28/08 at 12:58 am

He's got a concert coming up in Santa Barbara...or maybe it just past...I forget.

Coming up...

October 3rd to be exact - Arlington Theatre Santa Barbara, CA

And he's gonna be near gibbo in Brisbane on Feb 27th and near Mr. Mister in Sydney on March 2. 2009

Written By: snozberries on 09/28/08 at 3:31 am

Coming up...

October 3rd to be exact - Arlington Theatre Santa Barbara, CA

And he's gonna be near gibbo in Brisbane on Feb 27th and near Mr. Mister in Sydney on March 2. 2009

you're just doing all my research for me tonight  ;D  I'd give ya karma but I have few hours left until I'm allowed to.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/28/08 at 3:47 am

you're just doing all my research for me tonight  ;D  I'd give ya karma but I have few hours left until I'm allowed to.

;D  It's been a long, dull day/night.  You can take the librarian out of the library, but you can't take the library out of the librarian or something like that...  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 09/28/08 at 9:41 am

;D  It's been a long, dull day/night.  You can take the librarian out of the library, but you can't take the library out of the librarian or something like that...  :-\\

;D

Sorry, you still] can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours.

Finally... karma has been given

Check for new replies or respond here...