inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What were you doing.....

Written By: Dude111 on 08/19/08 at 12:16 am

.....When Marty McFly went back in time?

For those not in the know (or not in the remember),that was October 26, 1985.

I just turned 11 and was @ my house getting ready for halloween :)

Subject: Re: What were you doing.....

Written By: nally on 08/19/08 at 12:18 am

I was 5 years old and in kindergarten at the time, and I don't know what I was doing that day. I do, however, know that it was a Saturday, so I was probably at home with my parents.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/08 at 12:22 am

I was watching the BTTF movies.

Written By: robby76 on 08/19/08 at 12:49 am

I was 9 and loving the pop culture!

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/08 at 12:55 am

I was a senior in high school. I was probably getting drunk.

I do remember walking down the halls of the school with a friend singing Johnny B. Goode at the top my lungs after watching that movie. We sang it everyday! then we went cruising in borrowed Sunbird Convertible Homecoming weekend and sang it the whole time we were in the car....we were pretty obnoxious then! ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/08 at 2:06 am

1988... I was workng.

Written By: wildcard on 08/19/08 at 11:54 am

I was 3 and Living in Bellflower at the time.

Written By: nally on 08/19/08 at 11:55 am

I was 3 and Living in Bellflower at the time.

as in Bellflower, California? I know where that is! :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/19/08 at 4:32 pm

.....When Marty McFly went back in time?

I haven't gone back in time yet. ;D

My memory just starts to pick up in 1985, and I actually recall that September or October we moved to a nearby house in a town just north of San Francisco. I even recall my parents picked me up from preschool that day and we pulled up to the house, and I'm like "Where are we?" and mom said "Home". And the funny thing as that age was I didn't even think about it, I'm just like "Oh, okay." :)

I also sorta remember my 4th birthday party at our old house just before we left. I have some scattered memories of very basic things too (like I said, going to preschool, family stuff and even songs on the radio), but not really anything big. I guess that's actually what makes it have more sentimental value.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/19/08 at 5:08 pm

I was still incubating in my mommy's tummy. (I wasn't born until May of 1986  ;D )

Written By: Davester on 08/19/08 at 5:30 pm

I was still incubating in my mommy's tummy. (I wasn't born until May of 1986  ;D )

^awwww... :-*

Turned 16 that month.  High school junior...

First time I saw BttF was when my buddy and I finished watching Mad Max and we snuck into the next theater just as it was beginning...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/19/08 at 7:07 pm

Hmmm, good question.  I'll have to guess, because I can't remember for sure.  Here's my guesses:

- Studying hard, since I graduated college that December
- Partying, on campus; I also went to lots of dance parties as a senior (no drugs or binge drinking though)  ;)
- Watching the Chicago Bears with ever-increasing excitement (they won the Super Bowl in January)
- Taking in awesome movies like 'Back To The Future'.

As I think about it, life was kinda fun back then...  ::)

Written By: wildcard on 08/19/08 at 7:53 pm

as in Bellflower, California? I know where that is! :)

yep Ca
I remember a speedy Mc Donalds guy and we have slide pictures of a park that I know is no longer the same. 

Written By: woops on 08/19/08 at 8:03 pm

about a year old

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/19/08 at 10:11 pm

I was nine and watching Halloween movies. I could only watch horror films, but not go trick or treating. We really didn't celebrate Halloween.

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/19/08 at 11:25 pm

My daughter was just 9 months old then (oct 1985)
& I was still living in Toronto
Oh & by the way Micheal Moore was not acurate in his film when he talked about a Toronto slum!
He was about 6 miles away from The old Riverdale area!

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/19/08 at 11:34 pm

October 1985.....I was seven years old, in the 2nd grade, and looking forward to Halloween. However, I got a bad cold two days before, so I couldn't go trick or treating that year.  :(

Written By: Dagwood on 08/20/08 at 11:06 pm

I was 14, just beginning 9th grade, my first year of high school. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/21/08 at 3:20 am

Oct 26th was a Saturday that year, I was a junior in high school.  I was probably out on a date with my boyfriend.  I'm lucky if I remember what I did yesterday, let alone 22 years ago!  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/21/08 at 5:52 pm

^ That's funny, I'm kinda the opposite. I can (with certain stuff at least) remember details of some little thing that happened when I was 5, but not what I had for dinner last night, lmao. ;D

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 08/21/08 at 7:40 pm

I wasn't even a zygote...DAMMIT

I hate threads like this, not because I hate what's being talked about, but because they remind that I was born at the wrong time  >:(!

1990? How about 1960?  ::)

Written By: Midas on 08/21/08 at 7:45 pm

October 1985...I was 13.  I had seen the BTTF movie that summer.  If it was a Saturday night I was probably tuned in to KOPA-FM listening to Saturday Night Hot Mix, eating Ruffles and drinking Diet Coke.

Written By: whistledog on 08/21/08 at 7:49 pm

October 1985 .. I was 7 years old.  Probably at home playing my Commodore Vic-20 :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/21/08 at 7:56 pm

I wasn't even a zygote...DAMMIT

I hate threads like this, not because I hate what's being talked about, but because they remind that I was born at the wrong time  >:(!

1990? How about 1960?  ::)

Don't feel bad, I didn't get that much firsthand experience either (especially with the early and mid '80s, which I actually prefer in alot of ways), so the little bit I actually got to have always made me even more jealous, thinking "This isn't fair, I want more!" ;)

Sure I have personal family/school memories, I dug songs or video games, and have a general idea of what the time "felt like"....but I wasn't old enough to really do anything beyond kids' stuff until like 1994/95. Even if I went to the mall or video arcades, it was always with, say my mom or a babysitter.

I guess I'm envious of the present-day 40 year olds for that too.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/21/08 at 8:47 pm

I was 8 years old, getting ready for Halloween. My mom always made our costumes...so I was always excited to see what I was going to be that year. I think that year I was either an angel or a vampire girl. :D

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/08 at 10:08 pm

Oct 26th was a Saturday that year, I was a junior in high school.  I was probably out on a date with my boyfriend.  I'm lucky if I remember what I did yesterday, let alone 22 years ago!  ;D

It was a Saturday? Really.... but Marty went to school that day.  Oh wait I guess he went to school on Friday. The actual time travel occurs after 1 am right?

Written By: Davester on 08/21/08 at 10:22 pm

So it was a Saturday...

On an average Saturday evening I'd have been in my bedroom, door closed, lying on the bed with headphones on.  In October I still had my paper route, so I would've gotton-up at around 4am that morning to do that.  Sucked, but it was nice having some jingle in my pockets...

Exciting, huh..?

Written By: whistledog on 08/21/08 at 10:38 pm

You know what's funny?  In 1985, I was actually probably playing 'Wild Gunman'

"You mean you need to use your hands?  That's like a baby's toy"

:D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/21/08 at 11:46 pm

It was a Saturday? Really.... but Marty went to school that day.  Oh wait I guess he went to school on Friday. The actual time travel occurs after 1 am right?

Yeah, it actually starts on October 25th when Marty car surfs to school, and later Biff wrecks George's car. He doesn't get to Twin Pines mall until 1:15 or so.

Sorry, I'm such a geek with details and especially BTTF stuff. ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/22/08 at 1:14 am

Actually, I really didn't follow what it said in the movie per se.  I just took the date that was given - October 26, 1985, and looked it up using a perpetual calander online.  It will tell you what day of the week a date was on any given year.  A nifty little librarian trick.  ;)

Just now I thought that I would look up on IMDB.com (the internet movie database) what movies were released on the day before (when new movies usually come out) because chances are, I might have seen a movie with my boyfriend that weekend.  October is right around homecoming season for most high school so they have dances, but since I did not go to any of my homecoming dances, I am totally sure that I was not at said event. 

How sad is it that I have to be so precise in trying to recall where I was 20 years ago?  I could just say that I was probably playing Nintendo or watching television (a very likely scenario), but just for arguments sake, I'm looking up what movies were released that weekend and the weekend before.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/22/08 at 6:47 am

I could just say that I was probably playing Nintendo or watching television (a very likely scenario), but just for arguments sake, I'm looking up what movies were released that weekend and the weekend before.

Oh cool, did you have a Nintendo when it first came out?

Based on my own memories combined with my knowledge of that time...it seems like it didn't really take off until about 1987. I remember looking on the back of one of my consoles as a kid and being like "Whoa" when I saw it actually came out in '85.

What games did they have? When we got it, it had that combo pack with Mario Bros and Duck Hunt (that was such a pointless game! ;D I remember my dad would sometimes tell me if I was bad, he'd only let me play that one, lmao).

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/24/08 at 8:20 pm

Oh cool, did you have a Nintendo when it first came out?

Based on my own memories combined with my knowledge of that time...it seems like it didn't really take off until about 1987. I remember looking on the back of one of my consoles as a kid and being like "Whoa" when I saw it actually came out in '85.

What games did they have? When we got it, it had that combo pack with Mario Bros and Duck Hunt (that was such a pointless game! ;D I remember my dad would sometimes tell me if I was bad, he'd only let me play that one, lmao).

I was Mom to two small children 2 and 6 mos. We got our Nintendo,in 1985 . Mario rocked though. I remember baseball on it too. Duck hunt was stupid especially with that dopey dog. We had an ET game but could never get the little bugger out of his hole. No pun intended.

Written By: Davester on 08/24/08 at 9:42 pm

I was Mom to two small children 2 and 6 mos. We got our Nintendo,in 1985 . Mario rocked though. I remember baseball on it too. Duck hunt was stupid especially with that dopey dog. We had an ET game but could never get the little bugger out of his hole. No pun intended.

I kinda liked Duck Hunt.  I liked the games where you just sat there and shot at stuff...

Written By: Davester on 08/25/08 at 12:13 am

Then you got off easy...

Written By: Dude111 on 08/28/08 at 12:01 am

I was watching the BTTF movies.

Excellent!!

Written By: Class of 84 on 08/31/08 at 7:36 pm

October of 1985, I was 19, entering my freshman year at OSU, probably kind of bumbed because 1985 was the odd year of the 80's, my least favorite...although I would take 85 over anything 91 through current....

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/02/08 at 10:52 am

I agree with that the first part of the decade was, to me anyway, more interesting. A lot of pop culture was unique and original then, before the onslaught of hair bands high jacked metal and movies became so formulaic. October of 85 I was a senior in high school and if it was a weekend I'm sure I was somewhere doing something I shouldn't have been doing.

Yeah, I think the fact that I DON"T remember it makes me actually more interested in it.

I'm really only a late '80s kid (I mean for stuff I remember). That was cool, but it just didn't seem quite as exciting. I wish I could've been old enough to remember the early MTV and video game era. Would you agree that, like 1981-1985 was exciting because all this stuff was brand new? That's the feeling I get whenever I've watched movies or footage from then.

Written By: JAFA on 09/08/08 at 8:15 pm

???

I graduated, other than that, hhmmm.
oh yeah college parties, UNH, Keene state,  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...