inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I love back to the future!

Written By: 80sfan on 08/24/08 at 11:26 pm

I watched Back to the Future and I loved it! At first I thought it looked cheesy and thought the acting was going to be bad. Mostly the reason why I was hesitant about it was because I had never heard about it before. I researched on the internet and found out it was a huge movie back in '85. The movie is hilarious and is age appropriate. Michael J. Fox looks the same and the music was very 80s. The most funny part was when his mother in the past had the hots for him. I liked how they didn't try to be cool back then in 80s pop culture, they just let things flow and it was natural. There's an innocence to the movie and I liked how they were talking about 2015, that's only 7 years from now! I'm 19, so I wasn't even born when the movie came out and thanks to this movie, I'm kind of interested in the 80s now.

Subject: Re: I love back to the future!

Written By: Davester on 08/25/08 at 12:18 am

It was a pretty neat movie... 

It also didn't hurt that America's darling, Mikey J., was in the lead role.  He was superb as Alex Keaton and he brought the same attitude into his Marty McFly role...

Written By: gibbo on 08/25/08 at 3:54 am

Agreed........I was 25 when this movie came out and I  loved it so much.......... I went back and saw it again the next day...... 8).

Written By: Bobby on 08/25/08 at 7:20 am

'Back to the future' is a classic film and had a lot of magic to it, an ingredient missing from a lot of fantasy films these days. All the characters seemed to have distinct personalities too.

For example, I watched Transformers on DVD recently and, even though it was a great film to watch, the main character (Shia LeBoeuf)  just didn't seem to have that personality or charisma to carry the drama aspects. The girl (Megan Fox) despite being incredibly hot, pretty much resembled a stock character.

Written By: whistledog on 08/25/08 at 8:49 am

I liked the first two so very much.  I saw 'Back to the Future Part III' in the theatres when it came out in 1990 and I was a little disappointed. The western theme and the addition of Mary Steenburgen didn't really sit well with me, but over the years, I grew to like it

You know what's awesome about the Back to the Future trilogy?  Looking for the little things that changed cause of Marty and Doc's time travels ...

Back to the Future:  The Twin Pines Mall becomes the Lone Pine Mall
Back to the Future Part III:  Clayton Revine becomes Eastwood Revine

Written By: Bobby on 08/25/08 at 9:00 am

I liked the first two so very much.  I saw 'Back to the Future Part III' in the theatres when it came out in 1990 and I was a little disappointed. The western theme and the addition of Mary Steenburgen didn't really sit well with me, but over the years, I grew to like it

I felt the same, Jason. I loved parts 1 and 2 but I just felt a little dissapointed with part 3 because it played out like a western (complete with cliches) and not a back and forth rollercoaster trip through time like the previous two.

Besides, I thought Doc Brown falling in love was unfitting for his character.

Written By: whistledog on 08/25/08 at 9:08 am

Oh and if you notice, in all three films, the exact same things occur, just in different ways.  Much like 'Home Alone' and 'Home Alone 2: Lost in New York'

All three films have ...

The Café:  When Marty arrives in the future or the past, the first thing he does is stop at the local joint.  1955:  Lou's Café; 2015: Café 80s; The Old West: Tavern

Bully chase sequence:  In the first one, he's in 1955 skateboarding on a "board with wheels".  In the 2nd one. he hover boards across the water.  In the 3rd one, he is dragged on a rope by a horse

Time Travel:  Ending climax where the DeLorean is in danger, but eventually gets zapped into the future (or the past)

Though with the first two Home Alone movies, the exact same things happen throughout the whole of both movies.  With Back to the Future, it's only selective parts

I felt the same, Jason. I loved parts 1 and 2 but I just felt a little dissapointed with part 3 because it played out like a western (complete with cliches) and not a back and forth rollercoaster trip through time like the previous two.

Besides, I thought Doc Brown falling in love was unfitting for his character.

I hear ya.  Doc in love was a total downer.  The bit at the end where years had passed and he'd married Clara ... the two kids (Jules and Verne) and that time travel train ... 18 years later and I still don't know if that was a fitting end to a great trilogy

Written By: woops on 08/25/08 at 4:25 pm

It's a great film and also like the blend of sci Fi, drama, action, and comedy.

Though also product placement of Pepsi and I wonder if the commercial that takes place in the future where Coca Cola is out of business had to do with the film, though don't think any characters were used and the people were from the  future (a bit accurate since some '80's fashion have made a comeback  :D 8) ) rather than time travelers.

Written By: Todd on 08/25/08 at 6:50 pm

Fun movie that really touched upon my two most favorite decades when it comes to pop culture!  The 80s and the 50s!  Cant beat the great tunes and fashions from BOTH decades!

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/25/08 at 7:48 pm

I watched Back to the Future and I loved it! At first I thought it looked cheesy and thought the acting was going to be bad. Mostly the reason why I was hesitant about it was because I had never heard about it before. I researched on the internet and found out it was a huge movie back in '85. The movie is hilarious and is age appropriate. Michael J. Fox looks the same and the music was very 80s. The most funny part was when his mother in the past had the hots for him. I liked how they didn't try to be cool back then in 80s pop culture, they just let things flow and it was natural. There's an innocence to the movie and I liked how they were talking about 2015, that's only 7 years from now! I'm 19, so I wasn't even born when the movie came out and thanks to this movie, I'm kind of interested in the 80s now.

I adored those movies. Michael J. Fox was so adorable in them. I also loved the fact thatin part one they went back and I was only 29 days old.
Also I liked how Biff kept popping up as the bad guy in all his incarnations. Granted number 3 would never make cinematic history, but for just pure enjoyment you can beat the series.
I thought it was funny when he dressed up in the "space suit" and scared his father (I think) with Van Halen.

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/29/08 at 7:20 am

The Best Movie Trilogy ever done....
They had consistency as one FFFFlllloooowwwed into the next!
(these days sequels just plain SUCK)

I think the reason it worked so well is cause Spielberg wasn't a drunk nor a dope-head like the rest of the directors were in Hollywood at that time!...(thats why he got all the big movies!!)

Hey the "Back To The Future" series launched Tom Wilson , Crispen Glover to fame!

Movies of this caliber will be a long time coming around again as to the absolute garbage Hollywood is producing now!

At least this year the "Coen Bros" will take top honors again!!!

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/29/08 at 7:38 am

The Best Movie Trilogy ever done....
They had consistency as one FFFFlllloooowwwed into the next!
(these days sequels just plain SUCK)

I think the reason it worked so well is cause Spielberg wasn't a drunk nor a dope-head like the rest of the directors were in Hollywood at that time!...(thats why he got all the big movies!!)

Hey the "Back To The Future" series launched Tom Wilson , Crispen Glover to fame!

Movies of this caliber will be a long time coming around again as to the absolute garbage Hollywood is producing now!

At least this year the "Coen Bros" will take top honors again!!!

I love the Coen Bros movies "O Brother Where art thou"is one of my favs. I can't wait to see "burn after reading". I haven't had the chance to see "No country for old men" yet either

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/01/08 at 11:58 pm

Oh and if you notice, in all three films, the exact same things occur, just in different ways. 

The Café:  When Marty arrives in the future or the past, the first thing he does is stop at the local joint.  1955:  Lou's Café; 2015: Café 80s; The Old West: Tavern

Bully chase sequence:  In the first one, he's in 1955 skateboarding on a "board with wheels".  In the 2nd one. he hover boards across the water.  In the 3rd one, he is dragged on a rope by a horse

Time Travel:  Ending climax where the DeLorean is in danger, but eventually gets zapped into the future (or the past)

"All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again."

The idea of the Eternal Recurrence is a common theme throughout literature - and someone on the Wikipedia page has already beaten me to the reference to Information Society's sampling of the phrase in Seek 200, and the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica

Next time you watch the pilot episode/miniseries/movie for the re-imagined Galactica, pay special attention to the background of the museum.  There's a museum exhibit onboard the ship that shows not only an "old" Viper, but off in the distance, a tin-can cylon from the original 1978 TV series.  Maybe it's more than just a tip of the hat to the people who worked on the original series; maybe it explains why all versions of a story can be "canonical", even when they disagree with each other.

Written By: Davester on 09/02/08 at 12:05 am

Next time you watch the pilot episode/miniseries/movie for the re-imagined Galactica, pay special attention to the background of the museum.  There's a museum exhibit onboard the ship that shows not only an "old" Viper, but off in the distance, a tin-can cylon from the original 1978 TV series.  Maybe it's more than just a tip of the hat to the people who worked on the original series; maybe it explains why all versions of a story can be "canonical", even when they disagree with each other.

Yep.  I remember the throwback Viper and Cylon.  Only someone who watched the original series would catch that...

This brings to mind the C-3PO and R2-D2 etchings among the hieroglyphs in the Well of Souls in Raiders of the Lost Ark.  I think you need a good eye and zoom feature to see it...

Written By: johnny5alive on 09/02/08 at 1:16 pm

Re: I love back to the future! 
  one of my favorite  80's movies! :)

Written By: Class of 84 on 09/02/08 at 11:16 pm

Definitely one of classics that helped define the 80's.

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/02/08 at 11:24 pm

"Back to the Future" is a terrific film and one I know I'll never get sick of watching.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...