inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Julian Cope

Written By: cinnabon on 08/28/08 at 9:56 pm

For those of you who may not be familiar with this singer, he started out as lead singer of The Teardrop Explodes in the late 70s and early 80s with great songs like "When I Dream" and "Reward", then went into a self-imposed exile for about 5 years (recording 2 failed solo albums along the way) before coming back in 1987 with Saint Julian -  my favorite solo song of his is the beautiful but sad "Charlotte Anne I Do Understand".

Right now I'm reading a fascinating double autobiography by him called Head On/Repossesed - Head On is about the Liverpool Punk Scene of the late 70s leading into Cope's tenure with The Teardrop Explodes and Repossessed covers 1983-89 when he was trying to strike out on his own, as well as his fascination with collecting toy cars and his relationship with the love of his life, his second wife Dorian.  Both books also talk about in great detail his relationship with Echo and the Bunnymen singer Ian McCulloch where they started out as friends and were in a couple early bands together and then became bitter enemies as the years went on.  The book is no longer in print but I managed to get a used copy of it at Amazon.

Anyone else here a fan of his music?

Subject: Re: Julian Cope

Written By: whistledog on 08/28/08 at 10:23 pm

I have his greatest hits album.  I never was a big fan, but I do like 'Reward' and 'World Shut Your Mouth', the latter which was his only chart single in Canada

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/29/08 at 8:35 am

I only know "World Shut Your Mouth" and I dig that song!

Written By: Bobby on 08/30/08 at 6:13 pm

Interesting. I didn't know Julian Cope was part of 'Teardrop Explodes'.  8)

I only know the song 'World shut your mouth'. I was listening to that with my mate Judith at work the other day.

Check for new replies or respond here...