inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was Madonna popular in 1983, or late 1983?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/01/08 at 5:08 pm

Madonna released the single "Holiday" in the US and it went to # 16 in late 1983 and I would like to know if she was popular yet during this period? And I also want to know what year girls started dressing like her. What year did they stop dressing like her? I know her career, but was born in 1988 and too young to experience Madonnamania period of 80s and up to mid-90s, which clearly was her most popular era.

Subject: Re: Was Madonna popular in 1983, or late 1983?

Written By: midnite on 09/01/08 at 7:47 pm

I was pretty young then, but I know Madonna was extremely popular by 1984.  Not sure about 1983, but her style was so different, I believe she became popular VERY quickly.  Wikipedia should provide good reading material for you. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_(entertainer)

Written By: Claybricks on 09/01/08 at 7:57 pm

The first Madonna song I recall hearing on the radio was 'Borderline'. After that song, she took off like a rocket with one hit after another. I went clubbing in the mid to late 80's and heard many of her songs played at the Limelight in Atlanta Ga. She even made an appearance there at that time. She had at least 4 club hits just from her 'Like A Virgin' album

My 1992 Billboard reference book shows peak sales were from her 'Like A Virgin' album (7 million) with True Blue coming in second place at 5 million and then her first album at 4 million.

Regarding the current high sales of the Immaculate Collection, 14 out of the 17 songs are from the 1980's, the other 3 are from 1990.

Here's a 1985 video from her Virgin Tour. This video shows girls dressing up like Madonna.

Madonna - Dress You Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEO7CNByPC4

http://a4.vox.com/6a00c2252c2712f21900e3989c38cc0005-320pi

About the Limelight in Atlanta...

Andy Warhol, Farrah Fawcett, Grace Jones, Rod Stewart, Tina Turner, Burt Reynolds, as well as countless others were regular guests at a nightclub in Atlanta making ripples in the media.  What unlikely place in such an unlikely city would have such a pull?  The legendary Limelight nightclub was the place to see and be seen during its peak in 1981-1982.  The Limelight’s decadent, wild, and over-the-top reputation earned it the nickname, “The Studio54 of the South.”  The concept of The Limelight was the brainchild of notorious club owner Peter Gatien (portrayed by Dylan McDermott in the film Party Monster) after his Limelight in Miami burned to the ground in the late ‘70s.  Gatien would later be involved in The Limelight New York controversy surrounding outrageous club kid Michael Alig.

http://popscene.vox.com/

Dan

Written By: midnite on 09/02/08 at 6:56 pm

Dan, good info on the Limelight.  Living in NJ, I had alot of friends who went to the "Light" in New York.  I was too young during Alig's party to attend.  The Club Kids are interesting and that club era is fascinating (to me). 

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/02/08 at 9:11 pm

As I recall, Madonna's career took off like a rocket.  Being 'eye candy' didn't hurt.    ;D    But her sound was fresh, timely and very danceable.  It seems dance clubs and dance parties embraced her first, as 'Holiday' was heard on many a dance floor.  'Borderline' seemed like more of an airwaves staple - but was really popular and helped her exposure even more.  Not to mention MTV.

Written By: johnny5alive on 09/02/08 at 11:02 pm

her first two singles from around here were: borderline and lucky star, in mid '83, then she really took off with the like a virgin album in 84' i knew then she was gonna be big!  and got lots of mtv rotation too!

Written By: Class of 84 on 09/02/08 at 11:09 pm

I concur that once "Holiday" hit the airwaves, she took off like a rocket. I remember writing an essay on pop culture in college, in '86 I think, referencing the fact that the girls thought it hip to dress like Madonna.  I think that fad had faded by the late 80's though....

Written By: Zeitgeist on 09/04/08 at 6:21 am

She wasn't THAT different. She had that new wave pop sound.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/04/08 at 2:25 pm

My favs are  Like a prayer  (which created quite a stir),Live to tell, and Cherish.
Ya gotta give it to her she has remained in the spotlight for 25+ yrs. Even if she wasn't a " good girl", she still influenced a whole generation of girls  how to dress. I adored her in Desperately seeking Susan. But on the whole as an actress she is awful. I was kinda put off by her blatant sexual period. But as I stated before she manages to stay in the spotlight. And I say Good for her. She looks really good for Fifty. Better than I looked at 30 ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/08 at 2:35 pm

The UK had not heard of Madonna till she had her first hit (Holiday) in January 1984, then the record only reached #6 in the charts.

Written By: Paul on 09/04/08 at 2:58 pm

The UK had not heard of Madonna till she had her first hit (Holiday) in January 1984, then the record only reached #6 in the charts.

At that time she was just another US singer with a catchy tune to her name...

She made a promotional tour in Britain, including a 'mimed' spot to an indifferent crowd at The Hacienda in Manchester which she later claimed to have 'forgotten'...

Sorry Madge...it was filmed for posterity!

(However, someone's got their years wrong...it's February 1984!)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/08 at 2:59 pm

At that time she was just another US singer with a catchy tune to her name...

She made a promotional tour in Britain, including a 'mimed' spot to an indifferent crowd at The Hacienda in Manchester which she later claimed to have 'forgotten'...

Sorry Madge...it was filmed for posterity!

(However, someone's got their years wrong...it's February 1984!)
We have the evidence....

Written By: Entouch on 09/08/08 at 10:04 pm

I dont believe Madonna became as popular in '83 as she was in '84. Her first album had a few dance hits like 'Holliday', 'Lucky Star' and 'Borderline' but her popularity soared with the 'Like a Virgin' album. She became one of kind because there were no other female pop star before her who was a fashion trendsetter, pushed the envelope of shocking the industry, and a free spirit. She reinvented female pop stars. :D

Written By: Midas on 09/09/08 at 10:03 pm

She wasn't as popular in '83 as she was in '84; true.  "Holiday" was being played on radio in '83; the video for "Burning Up" was in rotation on MTV and other music channels at that time.  The videos for "Borderline" and "Lucky Star" got quite a bit of play on MTV in early to mid-84.

Check for new replies or respond here...