inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VCRs

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/09/08 at 11:17 am

Do you remember the first thing you recorded with your VCR? Was it a front loader or top loader?
Ours was a front loader, my friend down the street had the first VCR on the block(1982)  and it was this top loader(huge machine).
We would rent movies and lug our machines to each others house to copy them. Back then we couldn't afford more than 1 they were so expensive, I don't remember exactly how much, but too much. 
One of the first things I recorded was The M.A.S.H. series finale in 1983.
The family across the street got a Betamax. ;D

Subject: Re: VCRs

Written By: johnny5alive on 09/09/08 at 11:46 am

yup sure do remember them! i was the first person i knew that bought one in 1978 for 1000.00  top loaded magnavox, what a piece of junk it turned out to be, blank tapes were 25.00 for 2 or 4 hour recordings! i remeber having many "star wars "showings at my house! some of the first shows i remember taping were, battlestar galactica (not the new crappy one!) mork and mindy,  soap, family, and lots of movies that i couldnt watch while i was at work! sadly the machine did not hold up well, had it fixed many times, then they gave me a new one after much complaining, and it was worse than the first one!  my current vcr is a mitsubishi that i bought in 1987 still works great! :)

Written By: robby76 on 09/09/08 at 8:25 pm

We had a Betamax in the 70s and upgraded to a VHS is the very early 80s. We taped hundreds of rare shows (most thrown away but we still have a few)! It was a top loader. We also had a remote control with the looooongest wire ever!

Written By: ILUV80S on 09/09/08 at 9:17 pm

OMG my first VCR was my graduation gift in '86.  My parents paid $400 for it.  I recorded 16 Candles on it  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/10/08 at 1:07 am

I got my first VCR in 1980, an RCA top loader for $850, and that was with my employee discount. video tape was on sale for 19.95 per tape. the first thing I recorded was an episode of Charlie's Angels  ::)  the cool thing was I had access to all the VHS movies since I worked in a video store. on my first date with Lady Di, we went out for dinner and came back to my pad to watch a video.  ;)

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/10/08 at 2:14 am

"The Good The Bad & The Ugly"....was the 1st thing I recorded....Back then video rental stores had VHS & Beta!.ha Sony really missed the boat on that one!
Just like when LPs were taken off the market VHS tapes vanished over night!
Wonder what the next phase will be to wipe out Cds/DvDs?

Now I'm stuck with a ton of tapes & a busted VCR......(its a Sony)
They used to make good stuff.Now they mass produce garbage!
Sony sterios SUCK!!!!!

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/10/08 at 7:03 am

"The Good The Bad & The Ugly"....was the 1st thing I recorded....Back then video rental stores had VHS & Beta!.ha Sony really missed the boat on that one!
Just like when LPs were taken off the market VHS tapes vanished over night!
Wonder what the next phase will be to wipe out Cds/DvDs?

Now I'm stuck with a ton of tapes & a busted VCR......(its a Sony)
They used to make good stuff.Now they mass produce garbage!
Sony sterios SUCK!!!!!

I have the same problem, I had an old VCR stashed went to use it last month and it doesn't work anymore. I'm gonna try looking in the pawn shops for an old VCR. I have some old video tapes that were made from super 8 movies from when I was a baby....(over 50 yrs ago), and I want to burn them to DVD.

My kids said that blu-ray is the next big thing... but the players are so expensive right now and I don't see the difference in quality. Just like all the new technology, wait a couple of years, and let them get the bugs worked out, knock offs will appear and it will plunge in price.

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/10/08 at 7:24 pm

My family's first VCR was a Sharp front-loader. I was so deliriously happy the day my dad brought it home from the electronics store. Before that I envied anyone who owned a VCR or Betamax player. One of my friends is still using the same Panasonic top-loader VCR her family first bought in the early 80's and it still works great!  :)

Written By: nally on 09/10/08 at 7:38 pm

The first VCR we ever got was a Toshiba model in 1987. That one lasted for four years, then in the early 90s we got one with on-screen programming.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/10/08 at 8:41 pm

The first VCR that I know for sure my parents had was from like 1984ish, one of those gray ones with the display window to the right, and a pullout tray. It lasted until the mid '90s - I had it for the last few years, when they got new ones. I didn't tape anything myself until 1991, when I got interested in tv (usually a small amount of movies, like anything with Ernest, or stuff from VH1).

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/08 at 8:51 pm

I don't recall ever having a toploader VCR, just a front loader.  In the mid 80s, I used to record all kinds of programs, but I don't remember why.  I found some old VHS tapes of years ago that had ABC Promos for Hardcastle and McCormick on it.  That would have been sometime between 1983-1986 which was the run of that show LOL

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/10/08 at 10:30 pm

I had a toploader with all those channel buttons & you could preset the channels & add in numbers.....
The ones the TV studios used were huge by comparison & their tapes were double in size!
The advantage VCR tapes have over discs is you can reuse them over & over....
All new stuff is very pricey in the beginning...But I still think digital is the way to go.copy it 10,000 times & its still as good as the original!..A huge hard drive hooked up to the TV & you can make your own TV!
Buddy of mine uses the big screen as a computer monitor...... :o..Wireless keyboard.off ya go!!!
Most big screens come with a PCI interface.....I guess the VCR will be just a future archaeological wonder!

Written By: snozberries on 09/11/08 at 3:27 am

I had a top loader in 1982. The first movies I rented were The Entity and Madman  ;D  Dude I didn't sleep for like two weeks.

I don't know what the first thing I taped was but a safe bet would be General Hospital.

yo greenjello...too bad you're so far away I have about 7 vcrs in my one bedroom apartment and they all work.  ;D

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/11/08 at 5:29 am

I had a toploader with all those channel buttons & you could preset the channels & add in numbers.....
The ones the TV studios used were huge by comparison & their tapes were double in size!
The advantage VCR tapes have over discs is you can reuse them over & over....
All new stuff is very pricey in the beginning...But I still think digital is the way to go.copy it 10,000 times & its still as good as the original!..A huge hard drive hooked up to the TV & you can make your own TV!
Buddy of mine uses the big screen as a computer monitor...... :o..Wireless keyboard.off ya go!!!
Most big screens come with a PCI interface.....I guess the VCR will be just a future archaeological wonder!

Yeah I don't remember which I thought was cooler, being able to program it to tape the soaps, so we could watch after work, or being able to rent movies, to watch when we wanted.
My oldest son does the PCI interface thing with his huge ass TV. He buys this huge TV and doesn't really watch  much TV, :o he's more of a gamer.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/11/08 at 5:31 am

I had a top loader in 1982. The first movies I rented were The Entity and Madman  ;D  Dude I didn't sleep for like two weeks.

I don't know what the first thing I taped was but a safe bet would be General Hospital.

yo greenjello...too bad you're so far away I have about 7 vcrs in my one bedroom apartment and they all work.  ;D

I remember The Entity scared the crap outta me. Maybe I'll come visit and borrow one lol.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/13/08 at 8:20 am

I had two friends who had huge top loaders in 1980. We all use to hold big sleepovers at their homes and watch horror movies. One of them had a father who worked in a TV station so the tapes he would bring home for us to watch were ones not on sale to the public at the time.

I finally got my own in 1984 and yes it was a betamax with a 4 metre corded remote and yes I still have it (along with more than 400 tapes) and it still works like a dream. The tapes have all been re-recorded heaps of times and are still in great condition - unlike any VHS ones I own.  I am gradually going thru my tapes and transferring from tape to dvd. All the tapes take up so much space etc so it will soon be time to get rid of them.

LOL forgot to add - the thing I started taping the minute I got it was The A Team.  Plus I recorded Days Of Our Lives while I was at work and then watched it at night. That show is so much better when viewed in fast forward!

Check for new replies or respond here...