inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: British band from the 80's

Written By: Geoff on 09/19/08 at 12:52 pm

I was wondering if anyone can remember a hair band that came out in the 80's from Britain and they were called something like the British choirboys or the English choirboys. I believe they had one album, which did not do great but I loved it and I just cannot remember the name. If anyone knows please let me know

Subject: Re: British band from the 80's

Written By: Paul on 09/19/08 at 1:15 pm

Wouldn't be the (London) Quireboys you're thinking of, would it?

If it is, then the album you're thinking of is probably 'A Bit Of What You Fancy', which contained their biggest hit, 'Hey You'...

The album did pretty reasonably, it almost managed to top the British album chart (#2 in 1990)...

Written By: Gis on 09/19/08 at 2:06 pm

Anything you want to know just ask!

I was a huge fan of this band from when they first started out as The Queerboys' changed to the 'Quireboys' when they got thier record deal. They had two albums out 'A bit of what you fancy' and 'Bitter Sweet and Twisted'
Spike the lead singer went on to do some solo stuff and Ginger the guitarist left to eventually set up The Wildhearts. They have reformed in redent years and are still recording. They famously played The Marquee Club in London on it's closing night and also had the only recorded gig there where the bar ran dry! I was at both shows.  ;D 

Written By: geoff on 09/19/08 at 2:08 pm

Wouldn't be the (London) Quireboys you're thinking of, would it?

If it is, then the album you're thinking of is probably 'A Bit Of What You Fancy', which contained their biggest hit, 'Hey You'...

The album did pretty reasonably, it almost managed to top the British album chart (#2 in 1990)...

Thanks a lot Paul you are absolutely right, I have been trying like mad to figure this out for the last few months. You have made my day
Geoff

Written By: Paul on 09/19/08 at 2:58 pm

They famously played The Marquee Club in London on it's closing night and also had the only recorded gig there where the bar ran dry! I was at both shows.  ;D 

No doubt assisting in draining that bar, eh Gis?  ;)

Written By: Gis on 09/20/08 at 2:44 pm

No doubt assisting in draining that bar, eh Gis?  ;)
What can I say? I won't deny it though.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/08 at 1:09 am

I remember the London Quireboys.  To my knowledge, they had no chart singles in the US Hot 100, but I could be wrong

ALBUMS
1990 - A Bit of What You Fancy
1993 - Bitter Sweet and Twisted

SINGLES
1988 - Mayfair
1988 - There She Goes Again
1989 - 7 O'Clock
1990 - Hey You
1990 - I Don't Love You Anymore
1990 - There She Goes Again
1992 - Tramps and Thieves
1993 - Brother Louie

Written By: Gis on 09/21/08 at 3:54 am

Mayfair was a real floor filler at the rock clubs I went to.

Actually I think they are resposible for my love affair with Newcastle Brown .................

Check for new replies or respond here...