inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Degrassi

Written By: Patricia on 09/28/08 at 8:28 pm

Did anyone watch the original Degrassi?  I am 33 years old-so I was about 12 when it came out.  This was a great show in my opinion.  There were issues dealt with that no other show at the time was going near.  They were pioneers.  Anyone else have any memories to share?  In the doldrum that is my life now, I look back on tose days with fondness.

Subject: Re: Degrassi

Written By: whistledog on 09/28/08 at 9:47 pm

I grew up watching Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High.  It was almost a staple in many Canadian households

In 1999, a Canadian talk show called 'Jonovision' did a Degrassi Reunion where the cast members reunited, and in the audience were fans of the show from the States, some from the UK.  That reunion led to interest for the Degrassi story to continue, which resulted in 'Degrassi: The Next Generation'

Degrassi originally began as 'The Kids of Degrassi Street' which aired 26 episodes as part of after school specials over the period of 1979-1982.  'Degrassi Junior High' ran for 3 seasons between 1987-1989 and 'Degrassi High' ran for 2 seasons between 1989-1991.  Many of the actors who starred on 'The Kids of Degrassi Street' returned for the aforementioned shows as different characters

The episode where Claude shot himself was the talk of the town back in the day.  The one that did it for me was when Shane took acid and jumped off the bridge.  It gave him brain damage, which complicated matters further in chances for him to be a father to his and Spike's child

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/29/08 at 4:49 am

"I grew up watching Degrassi Junior High - Whistledog"

You Poor bastard.........What crime did you commit to have to suffer watching that.....??
I always thought "Neek The Greek" was supposed to be the Canuck staple...(as bad as that was)
Personally I never watched Degrassi as it never floated my boat.....It was a typical boring Canadian production!.About as exciting as Alan Thicke :(

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/08 at 11:10 am

"I grew up watching Degrassi Junior High - Whistledog"

You Poor bastard.........What crime did you commit to have to suffer watching that.....??
I always thought "Neek The Greek" was supposed to be the Canuck staple...(as bad as that was)
Personally I never watched Degrassi as it never floated my boat.....It was a typical boring Canadian production!.About as exciting as Alan Thicke :(

Degrassi was awesome, but might not have been everyone's cup of tea.  The BIG Canadian staple though was 'The Beachcombers' which ran for 18 seasons

Written By: ninny on 09/29/08 at 11:31 am

Degrassi was awesome, but might not have been everyone's cup of tea.  The BIG Canadian staple though was 'The Beachcombers' which ran for 18 seasons

My daughter who is 16 watches some of the episodes,I believe its on Noggin (sic) but I could be mistaken.Ooops its The N cable channel. Of course she watches the Next Generation episodes..I had no idea the show was around for so long.

Written By: gibbo on 09/29/08 at 5:09 pm

I agree that the original Degrassi was a great show....even though I wasn't so young at that time (I liked Caitlin).

Written By: midnite on 09/29/08 at 8:16 pm

In the NY / NJ area, Degrassi was played.  I knew it was Canadian because of their funny accents.  One other Canadian show that was a big hit in the US was "You Cant Do That On Television."  At least I think it is (was) Canadian. LOL.

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/08 at 11:24 pm

In the NY / NJ area, Degrassi was played.  I knew it was Canadian because of their funny accents.   One other Canadian show that was a big hit in the US was "You Cant Do That On Television."  At least I think it is (was) Canadian. LOL.

LOL what accents?

You Can't Do That on Television was Canadian yes.  It was a satire parody of Monty Python that was aimed towards kids.  It was the show where Alanis Morissette made her debut as a dance/pop singer

Written By: snozberries on 09/29/08 at 11:34 pm

I LOVE DEGRASSI
>>> every incarnation there has been.
I have Kids of Degrassi Street on DVD, Degrassi Jr High and High on DVD and most seasons of the Degrassi Next Gen on DVD.

I purchased a DVD from Pat M. (Joey Jeramiah) on Ebay! He sent me the reunion Whistle mentioned and a DVD of random photos taken back in the day!  I emailed him and told him how much I loved the show and he sent me this

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/degrassi.jpg

Others here may remember my story about driving 31/2 hours to a mall in southern Cal because there was a Degrassi Next Gen mall tour. I thought no one showed but I entered the wrong side and soon found myself in line with about 1000+ preteens. All the adults kept looking at me and asked which kid was mine...and I said.. I have no kids I'M A FAN!!!  ;D

I met Marco and JT (RIP JT :\'(     ;D )

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/08 at 1:15 am

^ Now that is awesome! 8)

I had such the crush on Caitlin back in the day

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/30/08 at 12:55 pm

My 18 year old loves that show and the spin offs to like the next generation. I watched a few episodes with him. I thought it was an outstanding show.
Dealing with some real life issues that teens face these days. And those days.
I remember the older kids watching You Can't do that on Televsion which was on Nick.

Written By: Tam on 09/30/08 at 1:26 pm

Like whistle, I too grew up watching Degrassi.

I had the biggest crush on Wheels! And of course I wanted to look and be like Caitlin.
Funny thing too - I have asked Santa Claus for these on DVD this year! Hahaha!!!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/30/08 at 5:05 pm

Thought I'd already responded to this thread, but apparently I'd closed the wrong window, deleting my reply. *grumble grumble grumble*

I absolutely LOVE Degrassi and all the incarnations.  While I remember catching a few episodes on Public Broadcasting System channel back in the day, I was always so busy in high school that I'd rarely catch the shows after school.  It wasn't until only a couple years back, when I had more time to watch t.v., that I caught up on alot of the old episodes, plus the new ones on "The N" channel. 

Here are a couple other threads where we've talked about the show:

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe80s/1061272215.shtml
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=7973.0
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=13739.0
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=11501.0
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=29347.0

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/08 at 7:01 pm

Thought I'd already responded to this thread, but apparently I'd closed the wrong window, deleting my reply. *grumble grumble grumble*

I absolutely LOVE Degrassi and all the incarnations.  While I remember catching a few episodes on Public Broadcasting System channel back in the day, I was always so busy in high school that I'd rarely catch the shows after school.  It wasn't until only a couple years back, when I had more time to watch t.v., that I caught up on alot of the old episodes, plus the new ones on "The N" channel. 

Here are a couple other threads where we've talked about the show:

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe80s/1061272215.shtml
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=7973.0
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=13739.0
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=11501.0
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=29347.0

I haven't checked yet cuz I have to get back to cleaning but how many times did I tell my mall story?  Okay I won't tell it again!  ;D ...until I find the pics to post  ;)

Written By: Entouch on 09/30/08 at 8:13 pm

Did anyone watch the original Degrassi?  I am 33 years old-so I was about 12 when it came out.  This was a great show in my opinion.  There were issues dealt with that no other show at the time was going near.  They were pioneers.  Anyone else have any memories to share?  In the doldrum that is my life now, I look back on tose days with fondness.

Who can forget "Degrassi" that was a great show. I can still remember how I tune into the show just by curiosity and I hated it I thought it was lame (I think it had to do with it being Canadian) but my friends convinced me to stick with it. The show touch every teenage issue across the board that some of us can relate to.  Teenage pregnancy, Sex, Interracial Dating, Drugs, Drinking, Cheating on Exams, First date or First heartbreak, Being left back, First Band, First fight, Fitting in ...etc.
Some very memorable characters on the show

Joey Jeremiah
Wheels
Snake
Lucy
Caitlin
Spike
The Twins
Stephanie
Sorry Ive forgotten the teacher's names and a few others. I swear Lucy looks like my own little sister. I didnt watch 'Degrassi the Next Generation'  I prefer the old 'Degrassi'  it feels like I grew up with the characters.

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/08 at 10:41 pm

Who can forget "Degrassi" that was a great show. I can still remember how I tune into the show just by curiosity and I hated it I thought it was lame (I think it had to do with it being Canadian) but my friends convinced me to stick with it. The show touch every teenage issue across the board that some of us can relate to.  Teenage pregnancy, Sex, Interracial Dating, Drugs, Drinking, Cheating on Exams, First date or First heartbreak, Being left back, First Band, First fight, Fitting in ...etc.
Some very memorable characters on the show

Joey Jeremiah
Wheels
Snake
Lucy
Caitlin
Spike
The Twins
Stephanie
Sorry Ive forgotten the teacher's names and a few others. I swear Lucy looks like my own little sister. I didnt watch 'Degrassi the Next Generation'  I prefer the old 'Degrassi'  it feels like I grew up with the characters.

Snake and Spike are on the new one. When it started it centered around Spike's daughter Emma but has expanded, as Degrassi always does to include the other kids.

Joey and Caitlin had a thing in season 4 (I think it was season 4)  Wheels came back for one episode.

The pilot of next gen features a reunion so you see some your old favs.  Then there are episodes like when Spike and Snake get married. Old schoolers show up for the bachelor/ bachelorette parties.

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/08 at 10:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nU2zvWsmMk

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/30/08 at 11:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nU2zvWsmMk

That still cracks me up after all these years.

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/08 at 11:50 pm

yeah only now I can't get the song out of my head!  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/01/08 at 3:36 am

yeah only now I can't get the song out of my head!  ;D

I thought it was cool when they bridged the "old" Degrassi storyline of the Zits with Degrassi Next Gen and Joey (who was Craig's stepfather) got sooooo excited when Craig wanted to start a band.  I was just bursting with something resembling pride when Joey was trying to get involved in Craig's music.  lol

Written By: snozberries on 10/01/08 at 11:55 am

I thought it was cool when they bridged the "old" Degrassi storyline of the Zits with Degrassi Next Gen and Joey (who was Craig's stepfather) got sooooo excited when Craig wanted to start a band.  I was just bursting with something resembling pride when Joey was trying to get involved in Craig's music.  lol

that was funny!

I like any ep of next gen when Lucy's on!

Written By: whistledog on 10/01/08 at 11:32 pm

I like watching the Degrassi clips on YouTube, but it's really hard to find them.  Most of the ones you see are clips set to some dumb music montage or some idiot overdubbing the original dialog with moronic talk ::)

Written By: Shacks Train on 10/02/08 at 12:44 pm

Yahoo had an article yesterday about it being remade

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/08 at 1:19 pm

Yahoo had an article yesterday about it being remade

you post a link for everything else but couldn't post one for this?

Written By: Marian on 10/02/08 at 2:09 pm

I watched it.

Written By: Marian on 10/02/08 at 2:10 pm

My daughter who is 16 watches some of the episodes,I believe its on Noggin (sic) but I could be mistaken.Ooops its The N cable channel. Of course she watches the Next Generation episodes..I had no idea the show was around for so long.
it was on for about 3 seasons in the 80s,then this century it came back as the next generation.

Written By: snozberries on 10/10/08 at 7:31 pm

new eps of Degrassi Next gen begin tonight! Woo Hoo....gotta go!

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/08 at 9:20 pm

I saw Season 2 of Degrassi: The Next Generation at Wal-Mart for $14.88.  I was tempted to get it, but to be honest I've never seen an episode of the new Degrassi.  I should get the old Degrassi first

Written By: McDonald on 10/11/08 at 9:39 pm

The original Degrassi was the best after-school teen show of the 80's and 90's. I will never budge from this position.

Written By: McDonald on 10/11/08 at 9:44 pm

I saw Season 2 of Degrassi: The Next Generation at Wal-Mart for $14.88.  I was tempted to get it, but to be honest I've never seen an episode of the new Degrassi.  I should get the old Degrassi first

What sucks is that the only DVD's available are the US version, which is ok if you don't mind certain Americanizations in the show, such as the episode 'Twenty Bucks' when the girl steals 20 bucks from her mother's purse. When she actually takes the money, they splice in a reshot with an American bill instead of the familiar Canadian 20 dollar bill, Queen and all. I hate when they do that. It's so insulting. 

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/08 at 11:35 pm

What sucks is that the only DVD's available are the US version, which is ok if you don't mind certain Americanizations in the show, such as the episode 'Twenty Bucks' when the girl steals 20 bucks from her mother's purse. When she actually takes the money, they splice in a reshot with an American bill instead of the familiar Canadian 20 dollar bill, Queen and all. I hate when they do that. It's so insulting. 

I had no idea they did that with the DVDs.  Now I am disappointed and am curious what other Americanizations there are.  Degrassi is, was and will always be known as 100% Canadian, and America can never take that away

The next thing you know, they will try and make it as though Degrassi High School is in Los Angeles or something ::)

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/08 at 11:45 pm

It's been so long since I've seen Degrassi, I don't remember the names of some of the characters.

Remember the episode where Kathleen's boyfriend Scott turned violent against her?  I remember his line "You're lucky I go out with you" and then after he throws her down and kicks her, he says "You're worthless. You're garbage"  I used to watch that episode and think that if I ever came face to face with that guy, I'd smash his face through a window.  I didn't differentiate that it was a character on a TV Show because I know there are guys out there like that and it soo pisses me off

I remember the episode where Joey lost that bet and had to walk naked through the school cafeteria.  After that aired, all the kids at my school were talking about it ;D

Written By: snozberries on 10/12/08 at 10:07 am

It's been so long since I've seen Degrassi, I don't remember the names of some of the characters.

Remember the episode where Kathleen's boyfriend Scott turned violent against her?  I remember his line "You're lucky I go out with you" and then after he throws her down and kicks her, he says "You're worthless. You're garbage"  I used to watch that episode and think that if I ever came face to face with that guy, I'd smash his face through a window.  I didn't differentiate that it was a character on a TV Show because I know there are guys out there like that and it soo pisses me off

I remember the episode where Joey lost that bet and had to walk naked through the school cafeteria.  After that aired, all the kids at my school were talking about it ;D

Joey Jeremiah and his hat!  ;D

Written By: McDonald on 10/14/08 at 3:01 pm

Or when Caitlin finds out Joey cheated on her, and she utters the most infamous words in Canadian television history: "You were http://fudgeing Lisa Campenelli?"

Written By: whistledog on 10/14/08 at 8:10 pm

Or when Caitlin finds out Joey cheated on her, and she utters the most infamous words in Canadian television history: "You were http://fudging Lisa Campenelli?"

I totally remember that

I was watching a Degrassi ep the other day, the one where Lucy gets caught shoplifting.  The store she was in was a 'Towers' department store.  I watched that and thought "Man, how I miss Towers" LOL

Check for new replies or respond here...