inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Commodore Vic-20 Commerical

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/06/08 at 6:24 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUEI7mm8M7Q

I had a Tandy 1000 myself!!!

Subject: Re: Commodore Vic-20 Commerical

Written By: fusefan on 10/06/08 at 6:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUEI7mm8M7Q

I had a Tandy 1000 myself!!!

Hey that's cool. I have two Vic-20's myself. they're pretty fun to mess with!

Written By: whistledog on 10/06/08 at 6:47 pm

The Vic-20 was the first video game/computer system I ever owned.  I still have it with the tape deck and all the game cartridges I had for it back in the day, but the connector to the TV portion is broke, so I cannot play it :(

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/06/08 at 11:23 pm

The Vic-20 was the first video game/computer system I ever owned.  I still have it with the tape deck and all the game cartridges I had for it back in the day, but the connector to the TV portion is broke, so I cannot play it :(

Define "broke".  Almost all hardware of that vintage can be fixed with nothing more than a screwdriver, a $10 Radio Shack soldering iron, and $0.01 out of a $5 roll of solder.  (If you're very unlucky, add $1.00 for a new connector if the physical damage was severe enough that you can't physically plug a cable into it.)

Written By: whistledog on 10/06/08 at 11:36 pm

Define "broke".  Almost all hardware of that vintage can be fixed with nothing more than a screwdriver, a $10 Radio Shack soldering iron, and $0.01 out of a $5 roll of solder.  (If you're very unlucky, add $1.00 for a new connector if the physical damage was severe enough that you can't physically plug a cable into it.)

The Vic-20 required a black extension cable that connected from the keyboard to the TV/Computer switch that plugged into the TV.  The former is the piece that broke, and I was unable to try and fix it, so I keep my eyes open at flea markets, thrift stores for just such a cable. 

One day I will successfully get my Vic-20 working again 8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/07/08 at 12:25 am

The Vic-20 required a black extension cable that connected from the keyboard to the TV/Computer switch that plugged into the TV.  The former is the piece that broke, and I was unable to try and fix it, so I keep my eyes open at flea markets, thrift stores for just such a cable. 

One day I will successfully get my Vic-20 working again 8)

The cable itself got cut?  Or the connector on the Vic-20?  Or the connector on either end of the cable?  (For a good time, take a look at the back of the Vic-20, and google the word "pinouts", and check out places like digikey.com or jameco.com.  Even if we ignore eBay, all of the parts required to build such a cable are commercially available, either online, or at the nearest electronics surplus store.)

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/08 at 1:18 am

The cable itself got cut?  Or the connector on the Vic-20?  Or the connector on either end of the cable?  (For a good time, take a look at the back of the Vic-20, and google the word "pinouts", and check out places like digikey.com or jameco.com.  Even if we ignore eBay, all of the parts required to build such a cable are commercially available, either online, or at the nearest electronics surplus store.)

The connector that connects to the Vic-20.  Long and black with a box on the end with an on/off switch.  I could go through the motions to try and fix it, but I figure I'll wait until I find one at a used store or flea market.  Through stores like that, I was able to obtain the parts required to get my Atari 7800 working again

Check for new replies or respond here...