inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Late 80s instrumental song

Written By: classicalgas on 10/19/08 at 9:52 pm

Hi, does anyone know the name and/or the group that released the instrumental song which consists mainly of a hard piano refrain that's constantly repeated throughout that song's duration? This song sounds like the kind of background music that can be heard in many of the late sixties Motown and R&B hits.

Subject: Re: Late 80s instrumental song

Written By: whistledog on 10/19/08 at 10:45 pm

The only thing I can think of ATM is the 1988 hit 'Winter Games' by David Foster which consisted mostly of piano.  It served as the theme to the Calgary Olympics

http://www.spike.com/video/david-foster-winter/2789239

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/19/08 at 11:47 pm

Hi, does anyone know the name and/or the group that released the instrumental song which consists mainly of a hard piano refrain that's constantly repeated throughout that song's duration? This song sounds like the kind of background music that can be heard in many of the late sixties Motown and R&B hits.

and assuming 'Whistle' answer AIN'T right (he MAY be)  .... (well  .... 88  is hardly late sixties ... )  .... can you name a SINGLE 'Motown' hit .... that you reckon you hear this refrain in ?  Or any 'R&B' hit ... for that matter !

Written By: classicalgas on 10/20/08 at 9:09 pm

Thanks for your replies but WINTER GAMES 1988 isn't the instrumental song that I'm trying to hunt down. The song I'm looking for consists of a melody consisting of several notes that's repeated throughout its running time and it doesn't include any lyrics.

Written By: Claybricks on 10/20/08 at 9:20 pm

What country?

Where did you hear the song?...in a club?, on the radio?, music video?, etc

Was this song played a lot on the radio?

Do you know if there was a music video for this song?

How sure are you that this song was released in the late 80's?

Could it be a song from the late 70's or early 80's

You said this is a piano sound, so we can rule out an organ and synthesizer?

Please give an example of a Motown song that has a similar background sound.

Dan

Written By: classicalgas on 10/20/08 at 10:20 pm

I first heard this song in October 1990 when I walked into a Barnes & Noble bookstore that's located in Nassau County, New York. The station that played this song specialized in playing contemporary rock. I occasionally heard it again throughout the 1990s and it was most recently played on Music Choice's eighties station. The song might have done on a synthesizer but the people who performed it seemed to haven been inspired by the classic rock hits of the mid to late sixties, and it sounds like it might have been a product of that period,too.

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/20/08 at 10:28 pm

I first heard this song in October 1990 when I walked into a Barnes & Noble bookstore that's located in Nassau County, New York. The station that played this song specialized in playing contemporary rock. I occasionally heard it again throughout the 1990s and it was most recently played on Music Choice's eighties station. The song might have done on a synthesizer but the people who performed it seemed to haven been inspired by the classic rock hits of the mid to late sixties, and it sounds like it might have been a product of that period,too.

Well .... you haven't answered if Whistledog is right ... nor identified a single tune that you have 'heard it on'.  Don't think we're gonna be able to help much  ... with this 'info' ^ .  About the only thing I CAN deduce ... since you say it was played on 'Music Choice's eighties station' ... is that it's an 80's hit ?

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/20/08 at 10:39 pm

Chariots of Fire~Vangelis

Maybe it's that ?

Written By: classicalgas on 10/20/08 at 11:10 pm

Chariots of Fire~Vangelis

Maybe it's that ?

Nope, the song I'm thinking of consists of a shorter, much simpler tune; it might have come from an album.

Written By: classicalgas on 10/21/08 at 9:21 pm

Nope, the song I'm thinking of consists of a shorter, much simpler tune; it might have come from an album.

This song sounds a bit like the opening sequence of the 1969 song that's titled "Nothing But A Heartache". "Nothing But A Heartache" was performed by The Flirtations.

Written By: Bigpoppa158 on 11/02/08 at 1:54 pm

Try "Heart and Soul". Its not an 80's song, but it regained huge popularity in the 80's from the movie BIG, starring Tom Hanks. There are only three insturmental songs from the 80's that I remember being hits. Chariots of Fire, Herbie Hancock's Rock-It, and the theme to Beverly Hills Cop. Unfortuneatly, none of them really fit your description.

Check for new replies or respond here...