inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is there something recorded backwards at the beginning of Footloose?

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/28/08 at 9:25 pm

I was just listening to my wife's copy of the soundtrack album with headphones... and I swear in the first ten seconds it sounds like something is in there backwards with a low volume.  Anyone ever hear of this before?  Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I certainly wasn't looking/anticipating anything in the start of the song.

Subject: Re: Is there something recorded backwards at the beginning of Footloose?

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/28/08 at 10:36 pm

I was just listening to my wife's copy of the soundtrack album with headphones... and I swear in the first ten seconds it sounds like something is in there backwards with a low volume.  Anyone ever hear of this before?  Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I certainly wasn't looking/anticipating anything in the start of the song.

Maybe.  It's definitely not a voice, but the sound effect's attack/decay curve does vaugely resemble a cymbal crash played/sampled backwards.  (Maybe it's played twice and delayed/phased by about a tenth of a second in one channel relative to the other?)

And it was Kenny Loggins, and a listen to Vox Humana will reveal he wasn't above sampling sound effects (or even his own voice) and using a keyboard to play back the samples as instruments.

Subject: Re: Is there something recorded backwards at the beginning of Footloose?

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/08 at 10:42 pm

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but something similar happens with alot of cassette tapes.  If you listen real close to the beginning of a song on some cassette tapes, you can distantly hear the other side of the tape playing in reverse, or sometimes you can faintly hear the song itself before the song actually starts.  This has always creeped me out BIG time

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/08 at 11:34 pm

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but something similar happens with alot of cassette tapes.  If you listen real close to the beginning of a song on some cassette tapes, you can distantly hear the other side of the tape playing in reverse, or sometimes you can faintly hear the song itself before the song actually starts.  This has always creeped me out BIG time

Forgot to mention that I've also had this happen on some vinyl and CD albums as well:  faintly hearing an advanced echo of the the song in the background as the song starts playing

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/29/08 at 12:25 pm

8-tracks would totally weird you out then, they were notorious for poor tracking.  Columbia records used to have a lot of fade-in noise too.

This thing though is on a CD, and it's at least five or six seconds in.

Written By: midnite on 10/29/08 at 6:25 pm

Yes, I think the recording says "Beware of Kevin Bacon. He is only six degrees away from Satan."

Written By: whistledog on 10/30/08 at 12:17 am

In those first ten seconds, you can hear Loggins shouting in the background saying indistinct words.  Reminds me of 'All I Need is A Miracle' by Mike + the Mechanics where at the beginning of the song, Paul Carrack can be heard shouting indistinctly

Written By: Midas on 10/30/08 at 9:53 am

Yes, I think the recording says "Beware of Kevin Bacon. He is only six degrees away from Satan."

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/08 at 10:01 am

In those first ten seconds, you can hear Loggins shouting in the background saying indistinct words.  Reminds me of 'All I Need is A Miracle' by Mike + the Mechanics where at the beginning of the song, Paul Carrack can be heard shouting indistinctly
Many other singers, sing indistinctly!

Written By: Joe Zaza on 04/18/11 at 8:18 pm

He's just singing a little poem... I searched on Google for the lyrics to it, but I can't find them. I think he's saying something like, "Working so hard for free, BUT I don't… blah blah blah, I blah blah"

I can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy! Maybe what I have already is wrong, maybe not! I'm bald, but if I wasn't I'd rip my hair out all over again!

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/18/11 at 10:42 pm

There's two different versions of the track.  I believe they're both available on this Footloose 12"

version 1: 3:42 long, starts with silence, then a "whoosh" effect, then some guitars, and the percussion doesn't start until 0:10.  No vocals to speak of in the intro. 
version 2: 3:46 long, starts with a drumbeat, and this is the version where the mysterious vocals are heard. 

I think Joe Zaza's pretty close to what I heard on the second version of the track.  The singers are the background vocalists who sing the "yo-ho-ho"s at around 2:30ish in either version.

(And now I'm off to dig up the 8:48 remix of I'm Alright, and if I had any talent, to try and mash it up with Vox Humana, but since I don't have talent, I'll just listen to 'em and call it a night, why don'tcha just let me be :)

Written By: Joe Zaza on 04/18/11 at 11:53 pm

There's two different versions of the track.  I believe they're both available on this Footloose 12"

version 1: 3:42 long, starts with silence, then a "whoosh" effect, then some guitars, and the percussion doesn't start until 0:10.  No vocals to speak of in the intro. 
version 2: 3:46 long, starts with a drumbeat, and this is the version where the mysterious vocals are heard. 

I think Joe Zaza's pretty close to what I heard on the second version of the track.  The singers are the background vocalists who sing the "yo-ho-ho"s at around 2:30ish in either version.

(And now I'm off to dig up the 8:48 remix of I'm Alright, and if I had any talent, to try and mash it up with Vox Humana, but since I don't have talent, I'll just listen to 'em and call it a night, why don'tcha just let me be :)
Thanks for the props, dude… but I just tweeted the man himself and he says it's just gibberish:

http://twitter.com/#!/kennyloggins/status/60164593351278593

I wanted to ask him "Are you sure?" but some other chick did before I could and he hasn't replied to her yet:

http://twitter.com/#!/joycem25/status/60164893327888385

Maybe he didn't because it was a stupid question—? Don't know, though… if you're right and one of the background vocalists sang it, then the mystery may remain. But it's hard to believe that Kenny wouldn't be involved with every level of the song's production, so I just might consider this mystery solved. Just wish I could get him to elaborate beyond a fudgeing Twitter "tweet" so I can have some real closure. =/ Does anyone on this forum have a sound mixer that can drown out the background noise? O_O Shot in the dark, but it yield something. =p

Written By: Joe Zaza on 04/19/11 at 12:10 am

Sorry for the screwed-up links and the typo at the end. (I meant to say, "It COULD yield something.") I also didn't know this forum had a curse-bot. I meant to say "fu¢king Twitter"—thank you very much.  ;)

Written By: Joe Zaza on 04/19/11 at 12:13 am

Oh, and here are the links again without the fu©k ups:

http://twitter.com/kennyloggins/status/60164593351278593

http://twitter.com/joycem25/status/60164893327888385

Written By: Joe Zaza on 04/19/11 at 12:32 am

:-X Sorry for spamming the thread, but this will be my last post until somebody comes up with a better theory:

"Working so hard for free—yet, I don't got no bills—I'm nowhere."

Either I'm wrong ( :-\\ ) or just plain nuts ( :D )!

…But whatever! I'm done. :P

Thanks for replying, Foo Bar!

Written By: Howard on 04/19/11 at 6:32 am

I don't remember,I must listen again.

Written By: Joe Zaza on 04/19/11 at 5:08 pm

"Working so hard for free—yes, I don't got no bills—I'm nowhere."

Anyone?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/19/11 at 7:34 pm

oh yeah i definitely notice that ... Satanic messages?

Written By: Howard on 04/20/11 at 6:38 am

oh yeah i definitely notice that ... Satanic messages?

I just watched the video before,I hear Kenny Loggins say something backwards but can't decipher it.  ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/21/11 at 9:37 pm

:-X Sorry for spamming the thread, but this will be my last post until somebody comes up with a better theory:

"Working so hard for free—yet, I don't got no bills—I'm nowhere."

Well, it's gonna be pretty hard to argue against Kenny himself.  Having relistened to it, it sounds like him (with a little processing like in the "yo-oh-ohs" at around 2:30) as opposed to a background singer.  And it wouldn't be the only time - it's not like the intro to Vox Humana is anything other than a fun way of showing what could be done with a little technology, while still being a rock track.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/22/11 at 12:19 am

If you play it backwards, it says "Satan is the Devil"!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/devilsmile.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...