inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top 25 Music Videos of 1988 (original list)

Written By: woops on 11/04/08 at 5:41 pm

Here's an original list of the Top 25 videos of 1988. In no particular order (that changes time to time), except for the Top 5.

Anything you agree or disagree on and any omissions?

I know most people would strongly disagree with the #1 video, but I don't give a Chowder...

And, no I don't work for any "music" channel nor magazine...

Also some youtube clips for 16 videos...

25. Information Society "What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy)"

The band performing with instruments that look like colored contstruction paper cut-outs

24. Johnny Hates Jazz "Shattered Dreams"

A good black & white video with great visuals and the band appear as if they're five inches tall.

23. Taylor Dayne "Don't Rush Me"

Performance video with Taylor wearing a hot outfit with rhinestone on the top.

22.  Erasure "A Little Respect"

A video that features images that literally matches the lyrics.

21. Samantha Fox "I Wanna Have Some Fun"

One of the best songs from the UK pop songstress.

20. INXS "Never Tear Us Apart"

Great visuals that fits the mood of the song and shows Michael Hutchence (RIP) walking in Prague (Czech Republic).

19.  Debbie Gibson "Out Of The Blue"

The video featured her relatives Monica & Denise and Jeff Russo, who later became one of the members of Tonic. Also a fun video with Deborah flipping through her scrap book with images moving. And first video to feature her trademark black hat.

18. Def Leppard "Pour Some Sugar On Me"

A typical concert video of a great song that spent the longest at #1 in "Dial MTV" for 68 days. "Dial MTV" was a countdown show based on viewer requests. Sorta like "TRL".

17.  Guns N' Roses "Paradise City"

Yes, another concert video. Filmed at the Giants Stadium in New Jersey and Donington Park in the UK.

16. George Michael "Father Figure"

1988 Best Direction VMA winner. About George Michael and a model.

15. Bobby Brown "Don't Be Cruel"

Fun R&B pop video with a bunch of tv screens and an attractive female dancer with tight clothing.

14. Aerosmith "Angel"

Great visual/specil effects including an angel hovering over Steven Tyler.

13. INXS "Devil Inside"

INXS and friends having fun at a pub (I think since the video's mostly dark)

12. Def Leppard "Love Bites"

Power ballad video with great camera angles/visuals and fits the mood of the song.

11. Kylie Minogue "The Locomotion"

Kylie and  friends at an airport. A typical fun '80's pop video with the visuals  and fashion from the decade.

10. Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock "It Takes Two"

An old school hip hop video featuring Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock with lots of people having fun in New York including outside of the Apollo. Some scenes of the video appeared in the intro of "Yo! MTV Raps".

9. Poison "Every Rose Has It's Thorn"

Like "Home Sweet Home" from Motley Crue & "Wanted Dead Or Alive" from Bon Jovi, it's a concert video that also shows some backstage footage.

8. Tone Loc "Wild Thing"

Only with a budget of $500, the black & white video is based from Robert Palmer's 1986  classic "Addicted To Love" video.

7. Neil Young "This Note's For You"

Released in later 1988, the 1989 VMA "Video of the Year" pokes fun of product endorsements with spoofs of Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, and Calvin Klien's Obsession perfume commercial.

6. Aerosmith "Rag Doll"

Basically a party in the streets of New Orleans  featuring hot female models.

5. LL Cool J "Going Back To Cali"

Classy black & white clip featuring LL Cool J driving around LA with attractive women, some great camera angles, and has a classic Hollywood vibe.

4. Bon Jovi "Bad Medicine"

A concert video that's filmed by the fans. Also includes a cameo from late comedian Sam Kinison in the beginning.

3. DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince "Parents Just Don't Understand

Before Will Smith became a huge movie star, he was The Fresh Prince. "Parents Just Don't Understand" is a fun, campy video that shows Will Smith's comedic acting that would later be seen in his sitcom "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" in the early 1990's. Best rap video from the 1989 VMAs.

2. Michael Jackson "Smooth Criminal" (short version)

"Smooth Criminal" pays homage to the 1930's and features some of MJ's best moves like the leaning during the dance number.

Some more videos are worth mentioning:

Poison "Fallen Angel", about a young woman who runs away to LA

Cinderella "Don't Know What You Got 'Til It's Gone", unlike most power ballad videos it's filmed  on a natural location at Mono Lake, CA.

Robert Palmer "Simply Irresistible", one of the videos with the models with matching outfits. This time: some wear swimsuits

OK, here's the #1 video...

(drum rolls)

1. Debbie Gibson "Foolish Beat"   

Beautifully done classic and Deborah Gibson's first #1 hit ballad, which made her the youngest artist to write, produce, & record a #1 hit. The video also shows her acting, which she was actually crying in one scene. Should've been nominated for a Video Music Award in 1988.

Subject: Re: Top 25 Music Videos of 1988 (original list)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/04/08 at 6:46 pm

Gosh! I like all those songs. Music was so cool and good back then...

;D Great list.

Written By: johnny5alive on 11/05/08 at 10:52 pm

23. Taylor Dayne "Don't Rush Me"
  a blatent madonna ripoff!  i bet she would change her name to madonna if she could!

Written By: johnny5alive on 11/05/08 at 10:58 pm

i agree with number 1,  but 3,5,8,and 17 are  low points in the 80's!  not even on a  top 250!

Written By: Entouch on 11/06/08 at 7:22 pm

I agree with some of the picks for the Top 25 but 'Wild Wild West' by the Escape Club I expected to see on your list I do recall back in the day that song and video were hugely popular I believe it went to number#1 also 'Chains of Love' by Erasure was more popular than 'A Little Respect.'

Check for new replies or respond here...