inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Waiting For A Girl Like You-Foreigner(1984)

Written By: tv on 11/12/08 at 3:40 pm

To me this song is a great song. Its just a perfect pop song. The production is on point, the vocals are on point. I think this a very underrated 80's song that doesn't alot of credit as it should. What do you guys think about this song?

Subject: Re: Waiting For A Girl Like You-Foreigner(1984)

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/12/08 at 4:08 pm

It's a great song .... no question. I'm pretty sure that's Thomas Dolby, on the keyboard intro (of 'She Blinded me with Science' fame). Not sure I agree that it's 'underrated'  ... there are MANY great pop songs out there .... also very classy.

This song ... was Foreigners 2nd best performer in the UK ... reaching No. 8 there, in 1981 or 82 ... and spent 13 weeks on that chart ! The only better performer of their 11 different chart entries there .... was 'I want to  know what love is' ...

#1 .... and 16 weeks on that chart.

Written By: woops on 11/12/08 at 4:25 pm

Agree that it's a good song, though my favorite is "I Want To Know What Love Is"

Written By: Davester on 11/12/08 at 4:48 pm

Nice song.  Got crazy airplay and could also be heard on the jukebox at my fave hangout...

And it's 1981 BTW...

Written By: whistledog on 11/12/08 at 8:06 pm

Tv was probably confused as it can be heard in the 1984 film 'Footloose'

To me, their best song was 'Say You Will' from 1987, but ballad wise, 'Waiting For A Girl Like You' was easily their best :)

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/12/08 at 8:34 pm

And it's 1981 BTW...

Agreed. The only reason I said:

This song ... was Foreigners 2nd best performer in the UK ... reaching No. 8 there, in 1981 or 82 ... and spent 13 weeks on that chart !

... was coz my chart book lists by date of entry, not when the peak position was reached. This one debuted in Britain .. 12 Dec, 81 . I allowed that it maybe reached its chart peak there the January or so of  82. Too lazy to check further.

As for their other hits .... apart from THAT No. 1 ^  I also liked 'Urgent' (in particular) .

8)

Written By: Davester on 11/12/08 at 9:16 pm

To me, their best song was 'Say You Will' from 1987, but ballad wise, 'Waiting For A Girl Like You' was easily their best :)

Footloose.  Gotcha...

"Blue Morning, Blue Day" (1978) is my Foreigner fave.  Ballad "I Don't Want to Live Without You" (1987)...

Love the unusual vid, too.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39grXqTuyrg 

Written By: Davester on 11/12/08 at 9:24 pm

Agreed. The only reason I said:

... was coz my chart book lists by date of entry, not when the peak position was reached. This one debuted in Britain .. 12 Dec, 81 . I allowed that it maybe reached its chart peak there the January or so of  82. Too lazy to check further.

As for their other hits .... apart from THAT No. 1 ^  I also liked 'Urgent' (in particular) .

8)

It can get confusing really fast - when a single was released, when it charted, when it peaked, &etc.  Davester decrees that all songs are officially released when ther parent album is released.  For instance, the single "Blue Morning, Blue Day" is from the album Double Vision, which was released in 1978, but the aforementioned single didn't chart until 1979.  I say the single was released to the public at large in 1978, when the album was released.  Make it happen..! :P 

Written By: gibbo on 11/13/08 at 3:39 am

I liked the song but like Cold As Ice the best. Lou Gramm had a great rock and ballad voice.

Written By: tv on 11/13/08 at 7:19 am

No, I got kinda confused because "I Want To Know What Love Is" was 1984 I think.

Yeah "Say You Will" was a good song and and it made me remember some of the lyrics to Foreigner's hit songs when I saw the song titles on Wikepedia last night. Foreigners were hits in my childhood.

Written By: ninny on 11/13/08 at 8:10 am

I liked the song but like Cold As Ice the best. Lou Gramm had a great rock and ballad voice.

Lou Gramm does have a great voice. It doesn't matter if he is singing pops like waiting For a Girl Like You,or rocking to some of my favorites on Head Games, Dirty White Boy,Head Games & Rev On The Red Line(which is about drag racing on Lake Ave in Rochester,Ny)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W97xeMZR6Bs#

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/13/08 at 10:20 am

'Say You Will' is probably one of my least favorite Foreigner songs.  Their earlier works were so much better, IMO...

'Urgent' is excellent (especially with the cool sax lead)...and I believe that was also off of their '4' album...the same album as 'Waiting For A Girl Like You'... :)     

Written By: Midas on 11/13/08 at 10:30 am

Lou Gramm does have a great voice. It doesn't matter if he is singing pops like waiting For a Girl Like You,or rocking to some of my favorites on Head Games, Dirty White Boy,Head Games & Rev On The Red Line(which is about drag racing on Lake Ave in Rochester,Ny)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W97xeMZR6Bs#

I agree there, but Foreigner's replacement vocalist, Kelly Hansen is pretty awesome also; vocals are nearly a dead ringer for Gramm's.  I was flipping through channels a month ago and heard him do "Waiting For A Girl Like You" and before I saw him I thought it was Gramm. 

I couldn't find the vidclip for that but here's Hansen with Foreigner doing "Jukebox Hero"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxxmiE5yEc4

Written By: ninny on 11/13/08 at 10:57 am

I agree there, but Foreigner's replacement vocalist, Kelly Hansen is pretty awesome also; vocals are nearly a dead ringer for Gramm's.  I was flipping through channels a month ago and heard him do "Waiting For A Girl Like You" and before I saw him I thought it was Gramm. 

I couldn't find the vidclip for that but here's Hansen with Foreigner doing "Jukebox Hero"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxxmiE5yEc4

Yes he sounds to much like him,its a little to eery.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/13/08 at 5:42 pm

To me this song is a great song. Its just a perfect pop song. The production is on point, the vocals are on point. I think this a very underrated 80's song that doesn't alot of credit as it should. What do you guys think about this song?

Yeah I like it too, it's a beautiful love song but not as cheesy as "I Wanna Know What Love is" (although I do like that one too). It even sounds kinda new wave and really 80s since Thomas Dolby does the keyboards.

Another good song by them (actually it's Lou Gramm solo) is "Just Between You and Me" from 1989. I remember that from VH1 back in the day, but I didn't even know Gramm was the lead singer at the time.

Written By: tv on 11/13/08 at 6:47 pm

Yeah I like it too, it's a beautiful love song but not as cheesy as "I Wanna Know What Love is" (although I do like that one too). It even sounds kinda new wave and really 80s since Thomas Dolby does the keyboards.

Another good song by them (actually it's Lou Gramm solo) is "Just Between You and Me" from 1989. I remember that from VH1 back in the day, but I didn't even know Gramm was the lead singer at the time.
Yeah I know about "Just Between You And Me". I remember hearing that one from back in the day too. XM always plays "Just Between You And  Me" on the 90's music channel that they have not sure why though since its from 1989 but....

Written By: Chasey on 12/30/08 at 6:13 am

Agreed that WFAGLY is a quality track, but 'That Was Yesterday - extended version' is top, top class.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/30/08 at 12:19 pm

Don't Want To Live Without You (Love) is a great song.

Check for new replies or respond here...