inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New remixes of 80's music

Written By: Elin on 11/13/08 at 12:50 pm

I was born in 1988 and I don't really like 1980s music, I prefer 90's music anyday. However, I tend to like new remixes (also non-official ones) of 1980's dance songs. What do you think of remixing old stuff?

Subject: Re: New remixes of 80's music

Written By: midnite on 11/13/08 at 1:07 pm

I was born in 1988 and I don't really like 1980s music, I prefer 90's music anyday. However, I tend to like new remixes (also non-official ones) of 1980's dance songs. What do you think of remixing old stuff?

You don't like 80s music?  As an 80s music lover, I am heartbroken.  You should give 80s music a try.  What are some examples of remixes?  Remixes by the actual artists or remakes by new singers?

Written By: johnny5alive on 11/13/08 at 10:38 pm

music in the 90's??  didnt music end in 1989?? ;D

Written By: Davester on 11/13/08 at 11:31 pm

Not a dance song but this is a remix of an 80s Yes track whistledog posted a long time ago...

I kinda like it...

Max Graham vs. Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=FeyWIzz6Bro

Written By: whistledog on 11/13/08 at 11:50 pm

^ That is a very good one yes.  And the best part is that all Max Graham (who is Canadian by the way) basically did was lay a dance beat over the original Yes track to give it a heavier sound that could be played in dance clubs.  And because he gave an artist credit to Yes, it fully counts as a hit in their singles discography, even though it's just a sample 8)

--------------------------

I'd say my all-time favourite new remix of an 80s song has to be 'Call on Me' by Eric Prydz, a song known for it's controversial music video.  When I first heard the song, it was via the video and right away I recognized it's sample of the 1982/1987 classic 'Valerie' by Steve Winwood.  When I was a kid, 'Valerie' was my favourite song, and to this day, it still is one of my all-time faves. 

The best part about 'Call on Me':  When Prydz approached Winwood for permission to use the sample, Winwood was so impressed, that he actually re-recorded his vocals which is what makes it even more awesome. 

Written By: Midas on 11/14/08 at 9:35 am

I'd say my all-time favourite new remix of an 80s song has to be 'Call on Me' by Eric Prydz, a song known for it's controversial music video.  When I first heard the song, it was via the video and right away I recognized it's sample of the 1982/1987 classic 'Valerie' by Steve Winwood.  When I was a kid, 'Valerie' was my favourite song, and to this day, it still is one of my all-time faves. 

The best part about 'Call on Me':  When Prydz approached Winwood for permission to use the sample, Winwood was so impressed, that he actually re-recorded his vocals which is what makes it even more awesome. 

One of my favourites as well. :)

I like remixes of actual 80's songs, but I'm not too keen on a lot of the dance covers of 80's songs.

Written By: midnite on 11/14/08 at 1:04 pm

^ That is a very good one yes.  And the best part is that all Max Graham (who is Canadian by the way) basically did was lay a dance beat over the original Yes track to give it a heavier sound that could be played in dance clubs.  And because he gave an artist credit to Yes, it fully counts as a hit in their singles discography, even though it's just a sample 8)

Whistledog, good info on Call On Me! Thanks.  I found a remix which includes more lyrics of Winwood's original "Call On Me" song, which is fantastic!

Owner of a Lonely Heart - An artist called Local Boy made an "Owner of the Lonely Heart/Thriller" medley which has the "Owner of a Lonely Heart" lyrics over MJ's "Thriller" music.  Its a great song from 1983 or 1984.  Anyone know this song or if a video is available?

Written By: whistledog on 11/14/08 at 10:38 pm

Another real good one that I still love is Sunglasses at Night by Tiga and Zynetherius.  A Canadian (Tiga) remaking a song by a Canadian (Corey Hart). 

Hart's original was not a success overseas; Tiga's remake reached UK #25 in 2002.  When the remake came out, I used to frequent British messageboards about dance music, and the common response I saw was either:  "Who is Corey Hart' or "I didn't know this was a cover".  Tiga popularized a song not originally popular in the UK.  Other artists have done that ...

Back in 2003, Junior Jack (under his alias Room 5) had a #1 hit in the UK with a remix of 'Get Down Saturday Night', a song which originally made UK #38 in 1983 for Oliver Cheatham.  As well, Room 5's remix (based on single sales) was a chart hit in Canada, where as Cheatham's original did no damage here

Written By: midnite on 11/14/08 at 11:38 pm

Yeah, the Tiga version is pretty good too! I saw a bizarre video of it earlier with Amanda Lepore in it.

Another favorite of mine is Mylo's "Doctor Pressure" which updates Miami Sound Machine's "Doctor Beat."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9grWoCEZHFI

Dario G's "Heaven Is Closer" is a nice remake of Fiction Factory's "Feels Like Heaven" and has female vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP_CdQbRLzk

There are many many more.

Written By: chrisreade on 11/16/08 at 6:30 am

Generally I am not that keen on remixes of 80's tracks, mainly because they lose some of the production that made them great in the first place.  Some of the remixes and extended versions of 80's tracks done at the time still stand up to scrutiny now and remain great dance tracks.  To list some that fit that category in my opinion (there are loads more)....

Prince - The Future - 12" remixed by Mark Moore of S'Express fame
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes Extended remix (produced by Trevor Horn of Buggles / Video Killed the Radio Star fame)
Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like A record) - there were a number of remixes but the best remains the original 12" mix from around 1986
Stone Roses - Fool's Gold - ignore the mid-90's remixes, the original 12" extended mix from 1989 is in my view the best
Pet Shop Boys - 1988 Instrospective album is essentially a remix album - "You Were Always On My Mind" is still a classic
The Cure - 1990(?) album "Mixed Up" is a double album of Cure Remixes - will only appeal if you like them!
The Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way and Never Can Say Goodbye both had extended mixes which were great
Madonna - Like a Prayer 12" is a belter

Let me know if you think I'm talking rubbish!

Written By: Bryanatsck on 11/16/08 at 5:35 pm

Michael Mind - Ride Like The Wind

Eric Prydz-Call on me

Cabin Crew-Star to fall

Filo & Peri - Long Train Running (mabey not the 80's but another remake)

United Nations - Out Of Touch

Beatfreakz - Somebody's Watching Me

Beatfreakz - Superfreak

Sharam - PATT (Party All the Time)

Supermode - Tell Me Why

Max Graham -Owner of A Lonely Heart

Pet Shop Boys - Miracles (Eric Prydz Remix)

Written By: Captainfancypants on 11/25/08 at 2:20 am

Gotta admit, i am a bit of a fan of the Mash up songs that are found on youtube (and a few other places hidden in cyber space!) 
It appears with re-mixes it becomes blatantly obvious that everyone of today copies the 70's n 80's songs and speeds them up..  At least I just mime the songs.............. :-X

EDIT:  due to this post and the next one that has a EXCELLENT 4 part on youtube (should follow this post ) I got searching you tube (with beer in hand) and there are some ripper compilations out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMo4LdUSsTo
Amongst my fav's, but outlandz compilation is also great (see associated posts)

Run a book on what is the best amount of tracks that can be identified on each one!

Woops off topic - best remixes   
ON youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/FL1PB01T4M1DL35
This one has some crappy new ones, but some of the 70's and 80's "mashups" are sensational.  Boogie woogie bugle boy is my fav!
I would plug my site, but I just review and take the piss, so that counts me out for this round!  :D
EDIT spelling

Check for new replies or respond here...