inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The "Night Time Soap Opera", e.g. "Dallas"

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/14/08 at 4:55 pm

Anybody like those "night time soap opera" drama series that were popular in the 80's?

I got into "Dallas" after a season or two.  The characters were interesting and compelling - and, you know.  ::)

Of course there were others, like "Dynasty" and "Falcon Crest" (those may have spun off "Dallas").

Unlike daytime soaps, the show aired during prime-time when working stiffs like me could watch.  Like all soaps, they'd leave you hanging on a cliff each time an episode ended.  It was easy to get sucked in!  ;D

Anybody else?

Subject: Re: The "Night Time Soap Opera", e.g. "Dallas"

Written By: gibbo on 11/14/08 at 5:56 pm

Anybody like those "night time soap opera" drama series that were popular in the 80's?

I got into "Dallas" after a season or two.  The characters were interesting and compelling - and, you know.   ::)

Of course there were others, like "Dynasty" and "Falcon Crest" (those may have spun off "Dallas").

Unlike daytime soaps, the show aired during prime-time when working stiffs like me could watch.  Like all soaps, they'd leave you hanging on a cliff each time an episode ended.  It was easy to get sucked in!   ;D

Anybody else?

Almost embarrassed to admit it but........ I watched most of Dallas and Dynasty and some of Falcon Crest. Another was Knots Landing (which also spun off Dallas). The big difference was that they were glossy and used 'real' settings etc..unlike daytime soaps that have to make a show per day and you can see the fake scenery behind them. ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/14/08 at 9:10 pm

Almost embarrassed to admit it but........ I watched most of Dallas and Dynasty and some of Falcon Crest. Another was Knots Landing (which also spun off Dallas). The big difference was that they were glossy and used 'real' settings etc..unlike daytime soaps that have to make a show per day and you can see the fake scenery behind them. ;D
I am not sure if I "liked" them, but my mom liked them and if I wanted to "stay up late" (past 9) I had to watch them, so I saw them all - Knot's Landing was on at the same time Dynasty was  - and my mom liked Dynasty better, so we watched it....  ::) ::) ::)

Written By: whistledog on 11/14/08 at 10:22 pm

I have the first 3 seasons of Dynasty, Season 1 of Knots Landing and the first 6 seasons of Dallas on DVD, so no, I don't like them ;D

The one thing I always liked about Knots Landing was the scrolling titles with the actors.  Always thought that was cool

Written By: C. Lueless on 01/03/09 at 1:41 pm

First reply to a post here, yes a little late, but just joined Jan. 3rd.

I'm not sure if it was the early 80's, but I LOVED the night time soap "SOAP"!  Billy Crystal was in it and the guy that was in - Oh Great...can't remember the name of this one - but it had Kristy McNichol and Park something??  (The father was a kid's doctor).  Lovely, now I'm wondering what the name of THAT one is!!

Anyone else a fan of Soap??

Hoping this works  :-\\

C. Lueless

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/03/09 at 7:42 pm

I watched Dallas and Knots Landing on and off, but it was more my parent's thing.

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/09 at 8:53 pm

First reply to a post here, yes a little late, but just joined Jan. 3rd.

I'm not sure if it was the early 80's, but I LOVED the night time soap "SOAP"!  Billy Crystal was in it and the guy that was in - Oh Great...can't remember the name of this one - but it had Kristy McNichol and Park something??  (The father was a kid's doctor).  Lovely, now I'm wondering what the name of THAT one is!!

Anyone else a fan of Soap??

Hoping this works  :-\\

C. Lueless

Richard Mulligan of "Empty Nest" which also starred Park Overall.  On SOAP (1977-1981), Richard Mulligan played Burt Campbell.  That wasn't really a Soap though, it was a sitcom that satired the soap opera genre

Written By: tonelar on 01/06/09 at 8:39 pm

SOAP was excellent.  After all, it brought us Benson.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/08/09 at 11:16 am

I remember watching these prime time soaps, mainly with my mom. She always would ask me to press the record button on the VCR so I could tape Knots Landing for her. We watched "Dallas," "Dynasty," and "Falcon Crest" here and there, but for some reason my mom was partial to "Knots Landing." Later on, when I got old enough I got hooked on the teen related prime time soaps, such as 90210 and later Melrose Place.

Written By: Entouch on 01/08/09 at 9:40 pm

My favorite of all time will be "Dynasty" so over the top by today's standards boy did I love tuning in every Wednesday night for the fashion and for the fights. Did you know George Peppard from the 'A-Team' was considered the lead for Blake Carrington?(I think he was in the pilot episode then they decided to replace him)

Check for new replies or respond here...