inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cabbage Patch Kids are now 25 years old.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/14/08 at 5:01 pm

This year, in honour of their 25th anniversary, special edition Cabbage Patch Kids, are now on the shelves.

Anyone remember, when they first came out in stores?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4vmyUb6aTU

Subject: Re: Cabbage Patch Kids are now 25 years old.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/14/08 at 5:58 pm

The kid that lived across the street from me got one.  Her Mom stood in line for hours to get one.  I remember stores couldn't keep them in stock. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/14/08 at 6:02 pm

I got one a few years ago, and still have it.

I even have an original Care Bear as well.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/14/08 at 8:29 pm

My mother had a heck of a time trying to get one of those Cabbage Patch Kids doll! She finally managed to find one for me just before Christmas; I still have that doll today.  :)

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/14/08 at 9:06 pm

I got a homemade version, yes my mom passed off a fake..... :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/14/08 at 9:58 pm

Wow, I didn't think it was possible. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/14/08 at 10:00 pm

I got a homemade version, yes my mom passed off a fake..... :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

my mom made a homemade one too...and then after the craze died down a bit..my sister and I got a few Cabbage Patch Kids dolls. I remember when I was in elementary school, us girls used to bring our CPK dolls in and line them up against the wall to sit all day long. :D

Written By: muchmusicbaby on 12/08/08 at 9:16 am

I had a doll with a face that resembled a cabbage patch kid, but I'm not sure if it was one or just an imitation

I did have a cabbage patch kids cake for my 2nd birthday though

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/08/08 at 10:29 am

I got one a few years ago, and still have it.

I even have an original Care Bear as well.

Yeah, I've got a Cabbage Patch.  Don't have an original Care Bear though.  My Mom said she found my stuffed Smurf.  (Never thought I'd actually want that. . . but now I do!!!)

Written By: wildcard on 12/08/08 at 11:00 am

I never liked Cabbage Patch Kids.  I had a Birthday bear Carebear when I was young. Had a Rainbow Brite too.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/08/08 at 12:36 pm

I never liked Cabbage Patch Kids.  I had a Birthday bear Carebear when I was young. Had a Rainbow Brite too.

My cousin is 30 years old and is an Iraq war vet, tough as nails.  Show her Rainbow Brite and she becomes an instant four year old. ;D

Written By: Jessica on 12/08/08 at 1:39 pm

I remember the madness in Mervyn's (a department store) when they came out.  My aunt was working there at the time, and the crowds were crazy.  Luckily, my aunt put two away for my cousin and I, so my mom never had to resort to beating the crap out of someone for one. :D

Jason has a Cabbage Patch Kid that my mom bought him, but they're just not the same.  You don't send in the paperwork to adopt them anymore, you do it online. :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/08/08 at 6:06 pm

I've the 25th anniversary edition of one, right now.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/08/08 at 8:53 pm

I love Cabbage Patch Kids Dolls. I have four in my room right now and three of those I've had since the 90s. My "oldest" one is April, I've had since Christmas 1990. Mom stuck her in bed while I was sleeping and I roled overon her head. LOL. I still have her today.

I love CPK dolls so much that when I was 5, my mother got a cake with a mini one on top. (That was funny because I'm Black and my entire class was ethnic,--all Black and 2 Hispanics--and there was a tiny, White, blond haired, green eyed doll on the cake!  ;D ) I have a pic of the cake. If I find it, I will share the pic!

I even have a pic of my four dolls on my phone as the background. (Expecting MJ? LOL!)

I just adore the dolls. I want to collect as many of them as I can. They are so cute!

Written By: Hoagies With Myles on 12/08/08 at 9:06 pm

I prefer Garbage Pail Kids.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/08 at 8:34 pm

I didn't understand the appeal of the Cabbage Patch Kids, but there it was with lines around the block!

Written By: robby76 on 12/13/08 at 8:56 pm

I didn't understand the appeal of the Cabbage Patch Kids, but there it was with lines around the block!

I think it might be because no 2 were the same. Am I right in thinking that?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/14/08 at 6:14 am

I think it might be because no 2 were the same. Am I right in thinking that?

I think they are a few that are a like just a diferent name.  Those things have been around for 25 years.  I know someone who went to place where they make them.  It freaked her out (not in a good way either).

Written By: avoidz on 12/15/08 at 7:46 am

I saw them around and advertised in the 80s, but being a guy I only cared mostly about my Transformers :D

I do remember a friend of mine having those Garbage Pail Kids cards, though; they were curiously gruesome at the time.

Written By: robby76 on 12/15/08 at 8:07 am

I do remember a friend of mine having those Garbage Pail Kids cards, though; they were curiously gruesome at the time.

Now those I DID collect!  :)

Written By: Cautious Lip on 01/13/09 at 8:43 pm

In the early 80's I met an elderly nurse of Cajun descent. This woman told me she came from a family that practiced Voodoo. She also told me the Cabbage Patch Kids were "Charmed" which is what caused their monumental popularity and those pure of heart were not affected by the spell. I tried so hard not to laugh in her face (and I didn't). It was an entertaing story just the same.

Check for new replies or respond here...