inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rough Trade

Written By: whistledog on 11/15/08 at 9:58 pm

Yes, shocking, I know!  Actually, that's how I found these here boards.  I was looking for the name of the artist that sang "All Touch" (I still LOVE that one) and Absolutelyvile (remember her?) answered for me.  I was so ecstatic, I decided to stick around.  :D

That's awesome 8)

Figure I'd spin this off into a new thread.  Rough Trade was a Canadian new wave band formed in 1975.  Fronted by British born Canadian singer Carole Pope, the band took off in Canada during the 1980s with a string of hit singles.  Their most memorable was 'High School Confidential' which stirred up much controversy at the time as some radio stations in Canada refused to play it for it's suggestive lesbian themed lyrics

Rough Trade Hit Singles:
1981 - What's the Fuhror About the Furher?
1981 - Fashion Victim
1981 - High School Confidential
1982 - All Touch
1983 - Crimes of Passion
1984 - Sexual Outlaw
1985 - On the Line

Other hit singles:
1983 - Never Said I Loved You - Payola$ featuring Carole Pope
1985 - Tears Are Not Enough - Northern Lights

Northern Lights was a collective of Canadian artists in a fight against Africa.  Carole Pope sings a part of the song in a duet with Payola$ lead singer Paul Hyde.  The song appears on the 'We Are the World' album

Subject: Re: Rough Trade

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/15/08 at 10:21 pm

YAY!  This is awesome, thanks!

I also happen to love the Payola$ song "Eyes Of A Stranger".  I never about the song with Carole Pope.  As always, I appreciate your information.

Written By: whistledog on 11/15/08 at 10:31 pm

YAY!  This is awesome, thanks!

I also happen to love the Payola$ song "Eyes Of A Stranger".  I never about the song with Carole Pope.  As always, I appreciate your information.

In the early 80s, The Payola$ and Rough Trade both shared a common bond:  Rising new wave groups from Canada, both fronted by British born singers.  A few years ago, the Payola$ re-grouped and put out an EP, their first release since the 80s. 

Bob Rock, a founding member of The Payola$ went on to become a major rock producer and he is also apparently related to our very own Davey Thrashmeister :o

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/15/08 at 10:41 pm

Bob Rock, a founding member of The Payola$ went on to become a major rock producer and he is also apparently related to our very own Davey Thrashmeister :o

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it  ;D

Written By: midnite on 11/17/08 at 5:45 pm

Never heard of Rough Trade.  Thanks for putting the video links.  "High School Confidential" is kinda growing on me.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/18/08 at 12:37 am

Never heard of Rough Trade.  Thanks for putting the video links.  "High School Confidential" is kinda growing on me.

I'm a huge fan of the Rough Trade original, but as a very close second, I'm going to suggest Alphaville's 1998 (!) cover of it, off Dreamscapes 5ive.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/19/08 at 1:03 am

Oh, I thought you were referring to the Rough Trade record label.  Never mind.

Written By: whistledog on 11/19/08 at 9:32 am

Oh, I thought you were referring to the Rough Trade record label.  Never mind.

No, but that was a great record label.  Aztec Camera was on Rough Trade records

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/19/08 at 11:13 am

No, but that was a great record label.  Aztec Camera was on Rough Trade records

Holy crap, Jason, I know them too!!  :)

Written By: Tia on 11/19/08 at 11:18 am

i thought "rough trade" was a gay male sex thing.

Check for new replies or respond here...