inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So, what is it about the 80's and 90's that appeals to us, now?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/26/08 at 10:18 pm

With all of the remakes of films and TV shows so far such as:

Knight Rider
Friday The 13th
My Bloody Valentine
Miami Vice

and the upcoming ones:

Red Dawn
The Karate Kid

And the bands and toys, coming back, what is it about the 80's and 90's, that appeals to us now?

The reason why I ask, is that when the 80's and 90's ended, I got the general feeling, that most people, I knew where happy to here that the decades, ended.

One of my roomates, included.

If anyone, has any insite, let me know.

Thanks.

Subject: Re: So, what is it about the 80's and 90's that appeals to us, now?

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/08 at 10:32 pm

With all of the remakes of films and TV shows so far such as:

Knight Rider
Friday The 13th
My Bloody Valentine
Miami Vice

and the upcoming ones:

Red Dawn
The Karata Kid

And the bands and toys, coming back, what is it about the 80's and 90's, that appeals to us now?

The reason why I ask, is that when the 80's and 90's ended, I got the general feeling, that most people, I knew where happy to here that the decades, ended.

One of my roomates, included.

If anyone, has any insite, let me know.

Thanks.

you forgot to mention transformers...

I think the people who are in charge in Hollywood are like us nostalgic for their childhoods yet they are in a position to do something about it.... not always successfully but they try.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/26/08 at 10:35 pm

Thanks for reminding me about Transformers!

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/08 at 10:59 pm

Thanks for reminding me about Transformers!

no problem I also forgot the failed attempt at Bionic Woman and the upcoming Wonder Woman.. tho technically those are 70s .... carry on.

Written By: johnny5alive on 11/26/08 at 11:18 pm

just to clarifiy,  nothing about the 90's appeals to me! :)

Written By: whistledog on 11/26/08 at 11:36 pm

Musicwise, the 80s will never die.  In the world of dance music, many of the biggest club hits in the last few years have all sampled or were covers of 80s songs

Just recently, a Jazz trio from Quebec called The Lost Fingers released a CD of 80s cover songs, and their version of Technotronic's 'Pump Up the Jam' was a modest hit in Canada

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrgw-3oznMo

Written By: 80sfan on 11/27/08 at 12:39 am

I love the 90's !  :)

Written By: Bree on 11/27/08 at 2:03 am

no problem I also forgot the failed attempt at Bionic Woman and the upcoming Wonder Woman.. tho technically those are 70s .... carry on.

Wonder Woman started as a comic in the 1940's

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/27/08 at 10:11 am

I would have to say that some of my favorite films and TV shows, pretty are from either the 80's or early 90's.

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/08 at 1:22 pm

Wonder Woman started as a comic in the 1940's

yes yes and  batman & superman started as  comics in 1939

but we when were talking a resurgence of icons from our youth.... you have to include Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman. 

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/27/08 at 9:05 pm

but we when were talking a resurgence of icons from our youth.... you have to include Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman.  

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/teaandcoffe/MySpace/Lynda-Carter---Wonder-Woman--C10102.jpg

:-*

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/9098/imageslp2.jpg

Ooh ... kinky ! She's got the cuffs on ... waiting to be chained up ?    8)

May I just say 'Wonder tits   Woman'  ... at the risk of offending you .........

'VA -VA -VOOM '  !!!!!!      :D  :D    :D

No ... I don't BELIEVE she posts here ........... but you NEVER know ?    ???    ;)      ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/27/08 at 10:07 pm

I  love the fashion! That's what really appeals to me about the 80s (and parts of the 90s) I mean I loved the expression and eccentricities. Just everything was so much fun. Fashion isn't as fun as it used to be. I miss that.

And did Lynda Carter's little spangles bottoms always look like granny panties. I always thought they were higher cut than that.  :(

Written By: Midas on 11/28/08 at 9:24 am

I think that the reason movies/songs are remade is they're not original thinkers :D  And to be honest, I think the 00s has a decade of music with little to no substance.

Written By: Captainfancypants on 12/01/08 at 12:50 am

Sorry, I missed the last two posts after the photo of wonder woman.......

Mmmmmmm  Wonder Woman..........

Written By: Davester on 12/01/08 at 7:25 am

A Red Dawn remake sounds intriguing.  How bad can it be?  Hell, the original one sucked...

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/01/08 at 10:26 am

One sentence: THE WORLD SEEMED BIGGER BACK THEN. We didn't have Web 2.0 technology at the time, and when the Internet went mainstream in the  mid-90s, it was still a few years awo before it was essential in everyday lives (around the year 2000; our family first got the 'Net in September 1999.) Also, what was on the 'net at the time was rather limited, and a trip to the library would still be the better bet for information. They were the last "physical" decades; very few paperless items that we use nowadays. We would still read the newspaper; look through catalogs for shopping, and have the TV as the main source of home entertainment. People also seemed to be more friendly in those decades; the Net culture as caused people to become more rude generally speaking. Sadly, most people born since 1990 haven't really appreciated this era that much, as by the time they graduated elementary school they were already online.

I read a book about music today vs. the '80s, and the author noted that one of the biggest differences between the music industry today and yesterday is that is was ESSENTIAL to be signed to a main record label to have success; the 1980s and 1990s had few indie labels that are common ground today. Also, you would not have to wait for a track/album to be LEAKED. Napster should had never been invented; look how much the music industry has changed since 1999!

The bottom line: there were VERY FEW SPOILERS in the '80s and '90s as you would have to see the movie when it opens, buy the video game on its release date, watch the TV show when it first airs, and of course buy the album when it first hits the store. Also, you actually had to PAY (no dowloading) to view music and movies! I would rather pay $20 for a new album and pay around $40 to see my favorite artist in concert as opposed to getting all music free and paying $100+ to see the same act in concert.

Written By: oingo_fan on 12/01/08 at 9:14 pm

Things were happier then, the future was "wide open". 

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/02/08 at 8:24 pm

A Red Dawn remake sounds intriguing.  How bad can it be?  Hell, the original one sucked...

Sucked?  Harsh, dude.  That was one of the greatest (as in good-because-its-bad) movies of all times. 

WOLVERIIIIIIIIIIIIINES! was the LEEEEEEROY JENNNNNNNNNKINS of the 1980s.

My vote for a remake would be Rambo III.II.  Remember, the first version of Rambo III?  The one where John Rambo helped a bunch of harmless Afghani tribesmen stand up for their right to exercise their freedom the practise their religion in the face of Godless Russian Communism... 

"This time... do we get to lose?"
- Rambo 3.2: John Wants A Do-Over.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/03/08 at 7:18 am

Another point: The economy was in good shape. It was an era of prosperity and growth. I usually consider "'80s and '90s" 1982-2000, since 1980 and '81 were a dark period economically and it seemed like the world might end, until Reaganomics kicked in in '82. After the recession ended that year, there was only one recession for the remainder of that period in late 1990 and '91. Now, will 2009-2027 be a similar, rosy era like 1982-2000? It's going to be very difficult. Most of the 1982-2000 wave of prosperity, in addition to Reaganomics, was through the growth of information technology, and that lead to many more products available on the market. Unfortunately, this wave of technology is fading fast (Who is excited about getting a new computer nowadays?). When you spend more, the economy thrives. However, people were wiser and smarter and didn't go overboard like people did in the mid-2000s. Those decades are growing to be our generation's (Ages 15-39) "Happy Days".  :)
I can see why '70s nostalgia has seriously declined in recent years; it was a darker time and it was in between the frenzy and excitement of the '50s and '60s and before the rejuvenation and new growth of the '80s and '90s.

Written By: Davester on 12/03/08 at 5:33 pm

Sucked?  Harsh, dude.  That was one of the greatest (as in good-because-its-bad) movies of all times. 

WOLVERIIIIIIIIIIIIINES! was the LEEEEEEROY JENNNNNNNNNKINS of the 1980s.

My vote for a remake would be Rambo III.II.  Remember, the first version of Rambo III?  The one where John Rambo helped a bunch of harmless Afghani tribesmen stand up for their right to exercise their freedom the practise their religion in the face of Godless Russian Communism... 

"This time... do we get to lose?"
- Rambo 3.2: John Wants A Do-Over.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/aging_gen_xer_doesnt_find_bad

:P

LONG LIVE THE COLD WAR..!  Heh...

Yeah, really about Rambo III.  Fight to liberate good people from repressive regime.  Given their freedom, they enact new repressive regime...

Written By: Davester on 12/03/08 at 5:43 pm

Ayatollah Khomeini on line one...

Out...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/04/08 at 8:06 am

They are about to remake Arthur, They Live and Romancing The Stone....

Seriously.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/dec/04/russell-brand-arthur-remake

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51014

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51013

Written By: tv on 12/04/08 at 7:01 pm

Another point: The economy was in good shape. It was an era of prosperity and growth. I usually consider "'80s and '90s" 1982-2000, since 1980 and '81 were a dark period economically and it seemed like the world might end, until Reaganomics kicked in in '82. After the recession ended that year, there was only one recession for the remainder of that period in late 1990 and '91. Now, will 2009-2027 be a similar, rosy era like 1982-2000? It's going to be very difficult. Most of the 1982-2000 wave of prosperity, in addition to Reaganomics, was through the growth of information technology, and that lead to many more products available on the market. Unfortunately, this wave of technology is fading fast (Who is excited about getting a new computer nowadays?). When you spend more, the economy thrives. However, people were wiser and smarter and didn't go overboard like people did in the mid-2000s. Those decades are growing to be our generation's (Ages 15-39) "Happy Days".  :)
I can see why '70s nostalgia has seriously declined in recent years; it was a darker time and it was in between the frenzy and excitement of the '50s and '60s and before the rejuvenation and new growth of the '80s and '90s.
Yeah The mid 2000's were a time of greed and excess. I think probably the 50 Cent era of when he was really popular in 2003 and early to mid 2005 were the time of greed and excess.

Yeah I have noticed the 70's noglastia waver. I remember 10 years ago people loved the 70's now its the 80's and the 90's that get the respect.

Written By: Missed A Button on 12/05/08 at 11:48 pm

Red Dawn is one of a group of really, REALLY bad 80's movies that are so impossibly bad that they're AWESOME.  It's like watching a train wreck -- horrible, but you can't keep your eyes off of it! 

WOLVERINES!!!!!!

Come to think of it, another flick that belongs in the 80's Movies that are so bad they're AWESOME would be Road House.

So, Red Dawn and Road House....what do they have in common?  Train-wreck inspiring Patrick Swayze!

Written By: Davester on 12/06/08 at 2:48 am

Red Dawn is one of a group of really, REALLY bad 80's movies that are so impossibly bad that they're AWESOME.  It's like watching a train wreck -- horrible, but you can't keep your eyes off of it! 

WOLVERINES!!!!!!

Come to think of it, another flick that belongs in the 80's Movies that are so bad they're AWESOME would be Road House.

So, Red Dawn and Road House....what do they have in common?  Train-wreck inspiring Patrick Swayze!

Perhaps Swayze's best role, and that's saying alot...

I'm actually looking foreward to being terrified by Communism again.  Non-linear warfare is all well and fine but envelopes with white, powdery residue just lacks verve.  It's been a little slow...

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/06/08 at 7:44 pm

One sentence: THE WORLD SEEMED BIGGER BACK THEN. We didn't have Web 2.0 technology at the time, and when the Internet went mainstream in the  mid-90s, it was still a few years awo before it was essential in everyday lives (around the year 2000; our family first got the 'Net in September 1999.) Also, what was on the 'net at the time was rather limited, and a trip to the library would still be the better bet for information. They were the last "physical" decades; very few paperless items that we use nowadays. We would still read the newspaper; look through catalogs for shopping, and have the TV as the main source of home entertainment. People also seemed to be more friendly in those decades; the Net culture as caused people to become more rude generally speaking. Sadly, most people born since 1990 haven't really appreciated this era that much, as by the time they graduated elementary school they were already online.

I read a book about music today vs. the '80s, and the author noted that one of the biggest differences between the music industry today and yesterday is that is was ESSENTIAL to be signed to a main record label to have success; the 1980s and 1990s had few indie labels that are common ground today. Also, you would not have to wait for a track/album to be LEAKED. Napster should had never been invented; look how much the music industry has changed since 1999!

The bottom line: there were VERY FEW SPOILERS in the '80s and '90s as you would have to see the movie when it opens, buy the video game on its release date, watch the TV show when it first airs, and of course buy the album when it first hits the store. Also, you actually had to PAY (no dowloading) to view music and movies! I would rather pay $20 for a new album and pay around $40 to see my favorite artist in concert as opposed to getting all music free and paying $100+ to see the same act in concert.

Excellent post. :) I've said stuff like this before myself, and I totally agree. There was more mystery in the pre-internet time before the late '90s, and we didn't really become saturated with it to where it kicked out our old-school ways if life until maybe 2004. I think when you combine that with being kids, it makes a huge difference.

The same things appeal to me about the past now as they did when I was a kid (I love '80s music and '90s television) but its combined with nostalgia for my own personal life at the time.

Written By: muchmusicbaby on 12/08/08 at 9:02 am

I think this thread answered some questions I'd been asking for years.  It could be because of seeking comfort from being younger, even if things weren't always great.  I guess life was easier and carefree and it was a whole big new world.

Check for new replies or respond here...