inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ripped pants, what was the whole point behind?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/27/08 at 10:18 am

I know it's more of a early 90's things, but one thing always bugged, what was the wholr point, behind cutting up really good pair of pants/

Can anyone englighten me?

Thanks.

Subject: Re: Ripped pants, what was the whole point behind?

Written By: Dagwood on 11/27/08 at 10:57 am

Joe Elliot looked damn good in them.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/08 at 2:46 pm

ventilation?

You know it was really comfortable... I gotta say I still like the look.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/27/08 at 6:08 pm

I thought that ripped pants, looked silly.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/08 at 6:09 pm

I didn't mind a few rips...but some of those jeans looked like they had been through hell and back. :o :D

Written By: Red Ant on 11/27/08 at 6:21 pm

I thought they were supposed to look like 20 year old jeans.  :-\\

Thrift stores have those all the time for about $2 a pair.

Ant

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/27/08 at 11:08 pm

ventilation?

???  ::)      :-\\    COULD be useful.  :-X  After all  ........

http://www.xtremepccentral.com/forums/images/smilies/fart.gif
  ^
(Dude wearing 'ripped pants' )

You don't wanna 'stew' .... in your own 'juices' now, ........... do YA ?  ???

:D

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/08 at 11:16 pm

I always thought ripped jeans were stupid.  They looked stupid, plus one rip could lead to more rips, and if you're going to walk around with holes in your pants, you might as well walk around with no pants on at all

the same with those pants women wear today where their asscrack hands out

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/27/08 at 11:52 pm

They looked stupid, plus one rip could lead to more rips

Too many rips ... you might as well bury those ripped pants.    >:(  :(

A case of  ???  .....

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5427/grave2vl6.jpg

:D

Written By: Gis on 11/28/08 at 3:30 am

The whole point was wearing your jeans so much and for so long they frayed and ripped  with age! The ones that were done by cutting just looked fake and wrong and then it all went a bit over the top to the point where you kind of had a waistband and seams with threads inbetween.

Back in the day I had a couple of pairs where the knees and backside had gone through from age/long wear and they looked very cool, I had a rather fine behind in those days even if i do say so myself and a little flash of butt cheek was exactly that, cheeky.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 11/28/08 at 5:29 am

This started way back in the 70's.  Way back then, jeans were what people without a lot of money wore.  You could get a pair of Wranglers or Levis for 5 dollars, then you would wear them, and wear them, and wear them, because they were the only pair you had.  The older they were the more cache, because they sort of told a story.  Then all of the sudden jeans became popular, and the prices started going up, and people who wanted to appear as if they had been around or had had some adventures would rip them on purpose.  You could always tell the intentionally ripped ones, and it was usually the prep school crowd who wore them, the kids who had never even taken a bus, but wanted to pretend they had a Kerouac thing going on.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/28/08 at 8:56 am

Makes sense.

Written By: Elin Shushi on 11/28/08 at 10:49 am

Is it just Europe? I think ripped jeans are 'in' in Europe in the 00s too.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/28/08 at 12:08 pm

I believe so...

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/08 at 12:38 pm

The jeans were too tight on first fitting?

Written By: Chasey on 12/30/08 at 6:06 am

Best ask the boys from Bros....

http://www.geocities.com/brosgal/bros18.jpg

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/30/08 at 9:35 am

Just bought my daughter a pair of jeans - and they have sparkles, studs, and sequins on them - they were faded and I did not realize but they had "patched" holes...  She asked me Mom why are my new jeans torn????  I guess it is still "in" style as I got them at Limited too :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/01/09 at 6:25 pm

Yeah, that acidwashed ripped jeans look peaked in 1987/88 from what I know. I actually can remember it firsthand a little bit - seeing teenage and younger men wearing them. I accidentally ripped one pair I had as a little kid and I recall mom told me I could leave it because "it actually looks cool like that" (so I was in style just without knowing it). ;D

I tried wearing a pair like that to school in 1995 and thought I was really cool because I'd remembered that, and I'd also seem Joey Lawrence wearing them alot on Blossom so it never crossed my mind. I was such a dork I didn't quite realize how fashion became outdated in 3-5 years (sometimes not even that long), and got really embarrased when some cute girls started teasing me for it. :-[

It has come full circle now, because I've seen some semi-ripped pairs in stores (I own a couple lol). Not the way the hair metal frontmen had them all totally ratted and torn, but like they're neatly semi ripped, usually just around the knees.

Written By: NbC on 01/01/09 at 10:20 pm

Just bought my daughter a pair of jeans - and they have sparkles, studs, and sequins on them - they were faded and I did not realize but they had "patched" holes...  She asked me Mom why are my new jeans torn????  I guess it is still "in" style as I got them at Limited too :)

Some of the more expensive jeans are torn and faded in areas.  People still want the look of distressed jeans. 

I had a pair of jeans I really loved and wore them until they started ripping at the knees and the behind.  I laid them to rest when the rip grew longer and started to reveal too much of my rear end.  :D

I just spotted colored acid washed straight legged stretch jeans the other day.  :o  I couldn't believe those would come back into fashion.  8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...