inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: OK, I'm freaked...

Written By: oingo_fan on 11/28/08 at 7:46 pm

My favorite release of all-time is "Twist of Shadows" by Xymox.  It was released on 1/1/89, almost TWENTY years ago.  Where did the time go?  I thought our generation was the one that was never going to get old... :-\\

Subject: Re: OK, I'm freaked...

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/08 at 11:49 pm

Xymox are cool.  I remember them best under the name Clan of Xymox.  I have one of their songs on 12", but I don't remember which one (I have alot of 12" singles, and I often lose track) LOL

Written By: Davester on 11/29/08 at 1:04 am

The only Xymox album I've owned is "Phoenix" (1991)...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/08 at 1:37 am

My favorite release of all-time is "Twist of Shadows" by Xymox.  It was released on 1/1/89, almost TWENTY years ago.  Where did the time go?  I thought our generation was the one that was never going to get old... :-\\

I knew our generation was going to get old, but I didn't think I was going to see the age of 30, let alone 40 coming up around the corner, but that's another story!  

I got into Clan of Xymox in 1985 when I taped "A Day" off a college radio station, but it was many months before their eponymous LP was available in the U.S.  I consider three albums to be their trilogy:

Clan of Xymox: "Clan of Xymox" (1985)
Clan of Xymox: "Medusa" (1986)
Xymox: "Twist of Shadows" (1989)

The "Blind Hearts" 12" (1988) is also excellent as is the song "Muscovite Mosquito" from the 4AD "Lonely is an Eyesore" compilation (1987).  

Starting with "Phoenix" Ronny Moorings' target market seemed to be House rather than Goth.  

Since "Hidden Faces" and the return of the Clan of Xymox name (1994), he has managed to recapture the '80s spirit on some songs.  The best Clan of Xymox song in the past decade is "Jasmine and Rose" from the "Creatures" CD (1999)

"Twist of Shadows"  is magnificent.  I just love the way the synth intro on "Evelyn," which is itself a great song.  The other highlights of "Twist of Shadows" for me are.  "The River" is the prettiest song from Xymox while "Imagination" is my favorite.  It doesn't sound as much like "Medusa," which is my favorite Clan of Xymox/Xymox album, as "In The City" or "The Craving," but "Imagination" such a tight pop song!

See also, Clan of Xymox "Subseqent Pleasures" for early demos.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/29/08 at 11:41 am

How do you think I feel about Bust A Move, by Young MC?  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...