inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any "80s kids" who love the '80s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/06/08 at 9:19 pm

For anyone about 24 to 33 right now - did any of you love the 80s as it was going on? I'm 27 and was an 80s little kid and sometimes I feel kinda alone for my age in how massive of a fan I am of stuff which seems geared towards teenagers (and some adults) back then. Like the high school movies, loads of music videos, or an interest in the political and world events.

From what I remember of friends/classmates, and just things I've observed....younger kids seemed to like cartoons and video games the most (which I totally did too, don't get me wrong). When they liked movies or music it seems like it was usually just a small amount of the really popular stuff (ie Back to the Future, Goonies, Michael Jackson, or just a select few pop songs), but they're not usually diehard fans of everything about that time, at least not how I am.

Granted, I didn't know alot of things back then, but what I DID experience in childhood struck enough of a chord with me that it defined what I like to this day. I have a pretty good memory and I've always noticed little things too, so maybe certain things stayed with me or made more of an impact they might have with a "typical" person my age. ;)

Subject: Re: Any "80s kids" who love the '80s?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/06/08 at 9:23 pm

I did.  I loved the whole 80's cartoon thing back when they were new.  TV shows I loved.  I'm looking for quite a few less popular ones on DVD.  I think I was pretty culturally aware back then.  Although my opinion of Reagan has changed.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/06/08 at 9:50 pm

I did.  I loved the whole 80's cartoon thing back when they were new.  TV shows I loved.  I'm looking for quite a few less popular ones on DVD.  I think I was pretty culturally aware back then.  Although my opinion of Reagan has changed.

That's funny because I didn't get into tv until later (when I was about 10), although I loved that period's Sesame Street. ;)

Yeah I wish some of the shows would get full releases, like Growing Pains.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/06/08 at 11:35 pm

I LOVED it while going through it. The cartoons back then ROCKED...nothing can compare to them. There was nothing better than sitting in front of the TV on Saturday morning, eating my mom's homemade pancakes...and watching the Smurfs and the rest of the '80s icons. :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/06/08 at 11:51 pm

I loved being an 80's kid - always have, always will!  The cartoons and toys were wonderful, of course. I also loved that us kids spent plenty of time outdoors, something I really don't see a whole lot of kids doing today.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/07/08 at 12:00 am

I loved being an 80's kid - always have, always will!  The cartoons and toys were wonderful, of course. I also loved that us kids spent plenty of time outdoors, something I really don't see a whole lot of kids doing today.

Yeah the 90s seemed to be the last time kids went outside alot, at least to where it was really commonplace. I wonder if it's because of them having more tech now or because of the paranoia and feeling less secure after 9/11. Probably a bit of both.

I agree with you though. I loved my 80s childhood, but I just wished I'd had a sibling to really experience it with. I had some casual friends but they were either kids at school (and even they were a bit older) or kids of people my parents were close to.

I'm glad it's not JUST 40 year olds who share my love of music and movies too. ;) It's good to be an individual but it's also nice when SOME people share your tastes or feelings on things too.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/08 at 12:23 am

It's pretty much, my favorite decade.

Written By: whistledog on 12/07/08 at 12:28 am

It's pretty much, my favorite decade.

same here

Written By: robby76 on 12/07/08 at 5:07 am

I was well into the "new-ness" of the 80s. Maybe didn't register as the 80s but I definitely knew it was groundbreaking - even as 7 / 8 yr old. I remember a new channel being launched in 1983 and we were so excited at stuff like Automan and Rubik The Amazing Cube cartoon. We were all over the new tv guide with it's extra new channel.

I was also fully aware of pioneering cartoons like Thundercats. I mean after an intro like this, who'd not want to hang around and watch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qd_IsxgAf8

The 80s theme tunes really had a lot of thought put into them. You don't get jaw-dropping tv intros anymore.

Written By: Midas on 12/07/08 at 10:59 pm

For anyone about 24 to 33 right now - did any of you love the 80s as it was going on? I'm 27 and was an 80s little kid and sometimes I feel kinda alone for my age in how massive of a fan I am of stuff which seems geared towards teenagers (and some adults) back then. Like the high school movies, loads of music videos, or an interest in the political and world events.

From what I remember of friends/classmates, and just things I've observed....younger kids seemed to like cartoons and video games the most (which I totally did too, don't get me wrong). When they liked movies or music it seems like it was usually just a small amount of the really popular stuff (ie Back to the Future, Goonies, Michael Jackson, or just a select few pop songs), but they're not usually diehard fans of everything about that time, at least not how I am.

Granted, I didn't know alot of things back then, but what I DID experience in childhood struck enough of a chord with me that it defined what I like to this day. I have a pretty good memory and I've always noticed little things too, so maybe certain things stayed with me or made more of an impact they might have with a "typical" person my age. ;)

Why only ages 24-33?  Try again, Cubby.  I was 8 in 1980.  I would still consider that a kid.  And what I DiD experience that decade defines a lot of what I like to this day.  :)

Written By: Davester on 12/07/08 at 11:46 pm

You appear to have had a sense that the cultural touchstones of the time would in fact, later on, become...uh...cultural touchstones.  It's groovy because it means you stopped to smell the proverbial roses.  Wish I would have.  The 1980s were busy...

I'm sort of an 80s kid since I turned 11 in 1980 which is a pre-teen which is like a child whom some refer-to as kids (but I actually consider myself a 70s kid).  So as an 80s kid my thoughts are that the 1980s look a whole lot better now than they were in the 1980s.  What I mean by that is that it had a very bad side, and at the same time, it had a very good side.  The good probably came from the bad (another topic)  Believe me, the general climate, politically and economically, was really grim...

Music was chock full of post-nuclear and warnings...

There were loads of movies about possible ways of life after nuclear holocaust...

We were also told that by the year 2000, if we had not managed to nuke ourselves into oblivion, the oil and gas would have run out and unless something was done to stop the growth in population, we would not be able to feed everyone...

Grim...

Written By: whistledog on 12/08/08 at 12:32 am

Suddenly I feel real young LOL  I turned 2 in 1980.  I would have been 3, but being born in December sucks ass lol

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/08/08 at 4:12 am

Take it easy guys. I'm not gonna break it down year by year, that's why I said ABOUT. If you're mid 20s to early 30s you basically had ALL of your childhood in the 80s - old enough to remember stuff, but too young to be dating, driving or experiencing some of the more adult stuff that teenagers can enjoy.

All I was saying is that its neat to see people around my age who like the pop culture and overall feel of the times as much as me. Sure I liked the kid stuff too, but I also love loads of music and movies which seem to appeal more to people who were in high school or college then. Little kids of the time might've liked a few songs on the radio or whatever, but wouldn't be as into it as me as they got older, so I always dig it when I can share that in common with a 30 year old instead of a 40 year old. It makes that stuff feel way less old too!

People who are like 35 to 45 now are the average 1980s teens. THEY are the ones who almost surely came home from school to watch MTV and all that. I would expect them to be huge fans, so I'm not knocking it....I just hate when they gets typecasted as being the ONLY fans. Like when some radio station advertizes 80s night at a club and invariably they say something like "Get ready to go back to your high school years", I"m always thinking...um, hey there's other people who like that music too. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/08/08 at 4:33 am

I've said this before and I swear I mean NO OFFENSE (because this goes to any age group), but...

Being a fan of things from your childhood makes you seem old-school and nostalgic in a neat way. I guess because you're associating it with the comfort of being around your family or the playground and just feeling carefree.

Hardcore nostalgizing your teen years makes you seem stuck in the past and unable to "get with the times" (like when you see someone with a clearly outdated hairstyle). Probably because you're attaching that to partying in high school or whatever. Plus people are "expected" to like what's popular when they're 16 anyway.

Written By: muchmusicbaby on 12/08/08 at 8:59 am

YES FINALLY! My earliest memories are of watching music videos when I was 2 and 3 years old in the mid 80's, even if a lot of them were from the early 80's and on a tape.  I was exposed to music from an early age and I guess I knew more songs than most people under 5.  I looooved Madonna, and I knew of Michael Jackson before Bad and Dangerous through the Thriller videos sometime before Bad came out, which I remember being everywhere too.  I thank my parents for that.  In the late 80's/early 90's, they didn't watch music videos very much anymore, but still listened to the radio often and I remembered a lot of songs if not most, or would hear them later on as a teenager and remember the year I heard them

I can't find many 80's born kids who appreciate the 80's as I do though.  They think it's cheesy and don't realize that a lot of acts today copy the 80's so much.

Written By: Midas on 12/08/08 at 9:02 am

I've said this before and I swear I mean NO OFFENSE (because this goes to any age group), but...

Being a fan of things from your childhood makes you seem old-school and nostalgic in a neat way. I guess because you're associating it with the comfort of being around your family or the playground and just feeling carefree.

Hardcore nostalgizing your teen years makes you seem stuck in the past and unable to "get with the times" (like when you see someone with a clearly outdated hairstyle). Probably because you're attaching that to partying in high school or whatever. Plus people are "expected" to like what's popular when they're 16 anyway.

None taken.  You seem to be the expert, Cubby. O0

Written By: Tia on 12/08/08 at 9:15 am

We were also told that by the year 2000, if we had not managed to nuke ourselves into oblivion, the oil and gas would have run out and unless something was done to stop the growth in population, we would not be able to feed everyone...

Grim...
i've got a brilliant educational movie from the 50s called "our mr. sun" where they argue that if we don't get our act together and move away from fossil fuels, our whole civilization will collapse by 1975. frank capra did NOT nail it.

Written By: Satish on 12/08/08 at 11:27 am

I was born in 1979, and I love the 80s! Overall, I'd say it's my favourite decade for pop culture(movies, TV shows, music, fashion). But a lot of it I didn't become aware of till after the 80s ended, though. Back then, I was just into little kid stuff, like cartoons, toys, family sitcoms, and a few movies. I didn't really learn about music, fashion and most of the movies from the 80s till later. The first time I heard a Duran Duran song was in 1995. But now, I love 80s music! The new wave/post-punk scene from the early to mid 80s is probably my favourite musical genre.

I think the reason pop culture from the 80s appeals to me now, even though I wasn't aware of it at the time, is that I must have absorbed it subconsciously, as a little kid. I'd probably hear 80s songs in the background, or see people wearing 80s fashions on TV or real life, and the overall style from that era left an imprint on me.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/08/08 at 4:03 pm

I love the 80s.  I was  born in 1976 and my brother was born in 1978.  It was a great time to be a kid, the cartoon selection was superb, and I would look forward to heading to bed early Friday night to get up early on Saturday morning and catch my favourite shows. :) However with Saturday Mornings being the way they are it's like what's the point of even waking up on Saturday mornings?

Written By: Davester on 12/08/08 at 11:38 pm

i've got a brilliant educational movie from the 50s called "our mr. sun" where they argue that if we don't get our act together and move away from fossil fuels, our whole civilization will collapse by 1975. frank capra did NOT nail it.

Where in the world did you find Our Mr. Sun?  Did I watch that in school?  I remember having to write some kind of report about photosynthesis...

Written By: 80sfan on 12/09/08 at 1:37 am

Although my opinion of Reagan has changed.

Did you have a good opinion of him back then then or bad?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/09/08 at 1:37 am

YES FINALLY! My earliest memories are of watching music videos when I was 2 and 3 years old in the mid 80's, even if a lot of them were from the early 80's and on a tape.  I was exposed to music from an early age and I guess I knew more songs than most people under 5.  I looooved Madonna, and I knew of Michael Jackson before Bad and Dangerous through the Thriller videos sometime before Bad came out, which I remember being everywhere too.  I thank my parents for that.  In the late 80's/early 90's, they didn't watch music videos very much anymore, but still listened to the radio often and I remembered a lot of songs if not most, or would hear them later on as a teenager and remember the year I heard them

I can't find many 80's born kids who appreciate the 80's as I do though.  They think it's cheesy and don't realize that a lot of acts today copy the 80's so much.

Yup, Britney Spears and Rihanna copies off of 80's stuff alot!

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/09/08 at 2:13 pm

I love the 80s.  I was  born in 1976 and my brother was born in 1978.  It was a great time to be a kid, the cartoon selection was superb, and I would look forward to heading to bed early Friday night to get up early on Saturday morning and catch my favourite shows. :) However with Saturday Mornings being the way they are it's like what's the point of even waking up on Saturday mornings?

Totally agree with you, I think everything had that "magical" feeling, like where you just couldn't wait to see it. That's how I felt about Nintendo games too.

I was born in 1979, and I love the 80s! Overall, I'd say it's my favourite decade for pop culture(movies, TV shows, music, fashion). But a lot of it I didn't become aware of till after the 80s ended, though. Back then, I was just into little kid stuff, like cartoons, toys, family sitcoms, and a few movies. I didn't really learn about music, fashion and most of the movies from the 80s till later. The first time I heard a Duran Duran song was in 1995. But now, I love 80s music! The new wave/post-punk scene from the early to mid 80s is probably my favourite musical genre.

I think the reason pop culture from the 80s appeals to me now, even though I wasn't aware of it at the time, is that I must have absorbed it subconsciously, as a little kid. I'd probably hear 80s songs in the background, or see people wearing 80s fashions on TV or real life, and the overall style from that era left an imprint on me.

Yeah, I generally agree with you. There was something cool about seeing a commercial, playing a video game or hearing a song at some point and it came right back and registered with me because I probably first was exposed to it when I was 6 years old or so. That's what's neat about it, since it's the world I was born into.

That's true too, like I didn't get into movies until the early-mid 90s when my parents and I went to rent stuff at video stores. The '80s stuff was still pretty new and common then (i.e. Ernest movies, Police Academy sequels). Same thing with the music, there was a good percentage I didn't actually own until I was like 12 and started buying tapes.

Right on dude. :) That's even earlier than I remember seeing videos (that didn't happen until I first watched VH1 in 1991 when I was about 9). Although I have some vague memories of seeing MTV on at people's houses and stuff. I was into the old school Michael Jackson and Madonna too...along with Lionel Richie, Tears for Fears, Huey Lewis, and loads of other pop songs. It helped that my mom was a big fan of the current music.

P.S. On that note I also think its cool when people OLDER than teenagers dig pop culture too. Like with my mom being around 30 and an '80s fan.

Written By: karen on 12/09/08 at 2:21 pm

So you seem to be saying it alright to be stuck in your childhood but not in your teens?  Have I got that right?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/09/08 at 2:40 pm

So you seem to be saying it alright to be stuck in your childhood but not in your teens?  Have I got that right?

I didn't mean it quite that seriously. ;) Let me explain myself... I obviously clearly love my childhood (i.e. the 80s and early 90s), but I'm not entirely "stuck" in that time (I was really young and still growing up in the mid-late 90s too, and even now I'm still a fairly young man at 27). That's the key difference I've noticed. Lots of times when I see people who are head over heels into stuff from their teens is when they do tend to get a bit stuck back there. As I said with having out of date hairstyles or fashions, or acting like the music from then is still super cool.

This would be like if a guy my age or a little older wore a backwards ballcap and tried to be all badass like it was still 1995. I would seem stuck in the past if I got all nostalgic for Limp Bizkit and stuff - I'd much rather be attached to Nintendo games, selected pop music I remember from the radio and family time when I was 7 years old. ;)

P.S. Don't get the wrong idea either because I like SOME stuff from the late 90s - that era's Mad TV, Sheryl Crow, Jerry Springer (the man and the show, lol), and some of the pop music. I'm not totally trashing it, I just don't think it defines who I am as much as, say 1988 does. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/09/08 at 2:48 pm

Let me just say one more thing...

I'm in no shape or form attacking or protesting against the 40 year olds who love the hell out of the early-mid 80s when they were teens - I would expect them to, and I actually think it's pretty cool how twenty years later there's people who still dig this stuff and it hasn't been forgotten.

That was never my gripe. My complaint is that I just don't want that age group to be typecasted as the ONLY ones who are bigtime fans. Just because I was in childhood doesn't mean I didn't soak in the "feeling of the times" and the pop culture didn't make an impact on me too (even if I wasn't old enough to do anything beyond kid stuff).

That's why I think it's neat to find people around my age (i.e. former little kids of the 80s) who love it. Things like this make you feel "less alone" and that's always a good feeling. I've never wanted to feel weird or out of place, because I dig the music as much as a full blown Gen Xer.

There's also people way older than me (i.e. my parents) who like that stuff, as well as kids younger than me who weren't even alive at all for it the first time around. Which is cool too. :)

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/09/08 at 2:58 pm

What i think is that us who were kids in the 80's like about that decade is what we've seen and listened to a posteriori. I don't remember much about pop culture in the 80's aside from Madonna and Michael Jackson but later i got into it more (after the 90's 'cause in the 90's we absolutely loathed the 80's 8-P) and started to dig up bands and tv shows from that time. In a way 'cause not all was crappy although a whole lot was and mainly because it made me "reminisce" the era i never really lived, you can say what you want but as a kid you could care less about pop culture all you want to do is play around with your friends.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/09/08 at 3:10 pm

in the 90's we absolutely loathed the 80's 8-P

Not me, maybe the grunge kids who wanted to follow the crowd and be cool did...but don't go typecasting everyone. There were kids at my school who when I think back now, I can recall them liking certain 80s things (NES games, selected music and movies).

as a kid you could care less about pop culture all you want to do is play around with your friends.

I disagree. For me it was a PART of that same shared experience. I remember my friends (even if I didn't have that many) liking alot of the things I did when they came over to my house and stuff. I associate alot of those songs with going to school or on family trips and just hanging out with the other kids. The music was some catchy sh*t, I can't see how anyone WOULDNT like it.....but hey, that's just me. What do I know? ;)

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/09/08 at 3:18 pm

Not me, maybe the grunge kids who wanted to follow the crowd and be cool did

Maybe your teenage years were a different from everyone else then. It wasn't about trying to be cool, back then we just didn't find anything really cool about the 80's, it was a hypocrite decade with no real substance culturally and we all were glad it was over.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/09/08 at 3:25 pm

I think I just had a really good memory (even as a little kid) and I paid attention to things (I AM a geek ;D ) so experiences just stuck with me more than they probably did with most others my age. That and I generally was happier and worryfree - for instance I had grandparents pass away and my parents temporarily split up in the mid 90s. I was never one of the "cool kids" either, I didn't feel very good about myself as a teen, so I think ALL those things contribute. The 80s pop culture just appeals to me more (alot of stuff I didnt know back then too).

P.S. I lost touch with most of my childhood friends, so I bet even they...other kids who mightve liked some 80s things as it was occuring, probably forgot about it or got embarrassed once they got into high school. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/09/08 at 3:29 pm

BTW does anybody remember Chris Megatron? That guy was awesome, he used to post here a few years ago and always had insightful or cool stuff to say. I'm sure he could make more sense out of this than I probably am. ;) I recall I had alot in common with him, especially on these type of posts - he was a bigtime '80s kid who dug it (I think he liked the 90s too, just not quite on the same level).

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/09/08 at 10:43 pm

P.S. I lost touch with most of my childhood friends, so I bet even they...other kids who mightve liked some 80s things as it was occuring, probably forgot about it or got embarrassed once they got into high school. ;D

I've lost touch with a lot of people from my school years, too. I'm still in contact with some people, but it isn't like it used to be.  :(

Written By: Davester on 12/11/08 at 1:25 am

BTW does anybody remember Chris Megatron? That guy was awesome, he used to post here a few years ago and always had insightful or cool stuff to say. I'm sure he could make more sense out of this than I probably am. ;) I recall I had alot in common with him, especially on these type of posts - he was a bigtime '80s kid who dug it (I think he liked the 90s too, just not quite on the same level).

Maybe the decadology ban scared them away...

Written By: robby76 on 12/11/08 at 3:30 am

Maybe the decadology ban scared them away...

Not sure if that was meant to be funny but I laughed anyway.  ;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/11/08 at 7:52 pm

The reason why I loved the 80s is because the decade had an idea of how it was to be a kid.

Written By: C. Lueless on 01/03/09 at 1:54 pm

I LOVED THE 80'S and am introducing (pushing) my identical twin boys of 5 and my 7 year old daughter (who just kicked cancer's butt!) all about it!

Ok, now I'm going out on a limb here - but does anyone secretly wish a lot of the styles would come back?  I just found out the HASH jeans are being updated and making a comeback!  ;D  Yes, that's the 70's but still loved by me!  Hopefully they don't modernize them TOO much!

Anyhow, with all the belly-baring shirts and LOW LOW riding pants, those of us who aren't a size 2 would LOVE to see leg warmers and tights under longer backwards wearing sweaters with the V going down in the back??  Yup, I want most of those styles back!

Anyone with me here??  PLEASE say yes!

Thanks for the walk down proverbial lane!

Also, the cartoons rocked since they weren't all about shows that really aren't cartoons, but 'tween shows which seem to be overpowering the air.  What DID happen to "cartoon day", the good Sesame Street, Capt. Caveman and Schmoo??  Too much gaming systems??  NOT enough going outside and using your imagination.  Sad...kids have so much more to amuse them now, yet I still here "MOM, I'M BOOORRRRRRRRRREDDDDDDDD!"  Hate that!

Thanks for letting me go on and on...

C. Lueless 

Written By: 90steen on 01/04/09 at 9:21 am

I am an 80's kid who loves the 80's as well. I was born in 1980.

But I like the last 3 years of the 80's most... By then I was most familiar with teen styles and pop culture. I started listening to the radio in summer of 1987. My sister was 16, and had her 17th birthday that upcoming September, my brother was 15, and my other sister had just moved in with us, she was only 11, but me and my twin sister started to get into stuff because we used follow our other siblings and their friends around.
Here is a list of late 80's songs I liked as a kid. Of course when my teen years came around, all these songs were utterly lame to me.
Alone - Heart
Baby I Love Your Way (Free Bird) - Will To Power
Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House'
The Flame - Cheap Trick
Girlfriend - Pebbles
Heart And Soul - T'Pau
I Just Died In your Arms - Cutting Crew
I Still haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2
With Or Without You - U2
I Think We're Alone Now - Tiffany (Childhood crush)
I Wanna Dance With Somebody Who Loves Me - Whitney Houston
I Want Your Hands On Me - Sinead O'Connor
In The Flesh - Blondie
I'll Give You Anything - Dramarama
In Too Deep - Genesis
Listen To Your Heart - Roxette
Look Away - Chicago
Looking For A New Love - Jody Watley
Love Shack - The B-52's
Luka - Suzanne Vega
Mandolin Rain - Bruce Hornsby & The Range
The Way It Is - Bruce Hornsby & The Range
The Valley Road - Bruce Hornsby & The Range
Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now - Jefferson Starship
Shake You Down - Gregory Abbott
Someday - Glass Tiger
Toy Soldiers - Martika
Buffalo Stance - Neneh Cherry
Walk Like an Egyptian - Bangles
Who's That Girl? - Madonna (The only song by Madonna I ever liked)
Will you Still Love Me - Chicago

Also, Take On Me - a-Ha
Not late 80's, but it was one of those songs that stuck with me since kindergarten that I never found lame.

Written By: 90steen on 01/04/09 at 9:24 am

The reason why I loved the 80s is because the decade had an idea of how it was to be a kid.

amen to that.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/06/09 at 2:12 pm

I love the '80s. I am finding some of my earliest and some of my fondest memories were formed in that decade. I was 8 when the '80s ended, but they'll always hold a special place in my heart.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/14/09 at 3:04 pm

I am an 80's kid who loves the 80's as well. I was born in 1980.

Here is a list of late 80's songs I liked as a kid. Of course when my teen years came around, all these songs were utterly lame to me.
Alone - Heart
Baby I Love Your Way (Free Bird) - Will To Power
Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House'
The Flame - Cheap Trick
Girlfriend - Pebbles
Heart And Soul - T'Pau
I Just Died In your Arms - Cutting Crew
I Still haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2
With Or Without You - U2
I Think We're Alone Now - Tiffany (Childhood crush)
I Wanna Dance With Somebody Who Loves Me - Whitney Houston
I Want Your Hands On Me - Sinead O'Connor
In The Flesh - Blondie
I'll Give You Anything - Dramarama
In Too Deep - Genesis
Listen To Your Heart - Roxette
Look Away - Chicago
Looking For A New Love - Jody Watley
Love Shack - The B-52's
Luka - Suzanne Vega
Mandolin Rain - Bruce Hornsby & The Range
The Way It Is - Bruce Hornsby & The Range
The Valley Road - Bruce Hornsby & The Range
Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now - Jefferson Starship
Shake You Down - Gregory Abbott
Someday - Glass Tiger
Toy Soldiers - Martika
Buffalo Stance - Neneh Cherry
Walk Like an Egyptian - Bangles
Who's That Girl? - Madonna (The only song by Madonna I ever liked)
Will you Still Love Me - Chicago

Also, Take On Me - a-Ha
Not late 80's, but it was one of those songs that stuck with me since kindergarten that I never found lame.

Good choices, I like alot of those songs too. :)

Haha, yeah I bet alot of people around our age were like that. When you were, say 15 did you think "D*mn I cant believe I liked that cheesy stuff when I was a little kid". ;D

Even though people can dig things when they're say 9 years old (even younger sometimes) I think the teen years are the real test to what defines your tastes - like if you stick with it or move on to new stuff. With me I've only gone one way and generally held onto anything I ever liked. I enjoyed loads of '90s music too (moreso the pop stuff as opposed to anything edgy like gangsta rap), but I basically liked it in addition to the 80s songs I was familar with.

Written By: Cautious Lip on 01/17/09 at 8:20 pm

One of the reasons I loved the 80's was because you could wear anything you wanted to. There were no fashion restrictions. Everyone was respected for making a fashion statement.

Written By: midnite on 01/31/09 at 6:02 pm

I think it is very common to be nostalgic toward your childhood because life was easy (for most of us anyways).  Therefore I would believe most 80s kids like the 80s and 90s kids like the 90s.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/09/09 at 8:46 pm

Are you "kidding"!?  ;D

I'm 32 and the 80's were my golden childhood! For me that decade was like the 50's were to the Boomers. And from the way retro culture treats it, I'm not the only one.  :)

I just love it for its nostalgic quality and the cartoons.  :) If for no other reason. :)  From 80-89 was a fantastic time to be a kid.  Independently run TV stations ruled the airwaves, there was no such thing as network affiliation, and when you wanted to watch something on TV that you liked all you had to do was turn the TV on and there you have it.
It's not like that anymore.

Written By: woops on 02/09/09 at 9:18 pm

I was born in the mid 1980's, though more into animation from the early 20th century since most were either toy informercials or overly preachy.  "Garfield & Friends" still holds up to this day.  8) Somefrom the 1980's and early 1990's  I now cringe at like "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles".

As for music, If I had been a teenager I would probably be in the "Top 40" category. Though I also like hair metal and  some alternative.

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/23/09 at 6:41 pm

I glad to be an 80s kid and preteen in the 80s.  The 80s is my childhood and preteen years.  I was into toys, cartoons, TV shows, movies and all that.  It wasn't until I was 9-12 years old in the late 80s when I really started to embrace pop culture to the fullest.

Written By: Fairee07 on 02/23/09 at 9:49 pm

I was born in '76 and though it's not my favorite decade (that would be the 70s), I don't think it was that bad as people make it out to be.

I actually enjoyed spending my childhood and my early teen years as a teenager. True some of the fashion was bad (ie. mullet) but there was some bad taste in the 70s too. The 80s' seemed like such a happy decade and it showed with the music, cartoons, the toys (MLP! JEM! Strawberry Shortcake!......), and bright colored clothes and accessories. Unlike the 90s which was dark, cynical, and angry (Hole, grunge, goth, Daria...)---not to diss my own generation because there were some great things about the 90s.

Written By: robby76 on 02/23/09 at 10:40 pm

The 80s' seemed like such a happy decade and it showed with the music, cartoons, the toys (MLP! JEM! Strawberry Shortcake!......), and bright colored clothes and accessories. Unlike the 90s which was dark, cynical, and angry (Hole, grunge, goth, Daria...)---not to diss my own generation because there were some great things about the 90s.

As a 76er I agree somewhat with the above. Though I enjoyed life in the 90s, they were drab pop culturally - especially fashion-wise.

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/23/09 at 10:48 pm

I was born in '76 and though it's not my favorite decade (that would be the 70s), I don't think it was that bad as people make it out to be.

I actually enjoyed spending my childhood and my early teen years as a teenager. True some of the fashion was bad (ie. mullet) but there was some bad taste in the 70s too. The 80s' seemed like such a happy decade and it showed with the music, cartoons, the toys (MLP! JEM! Strawberry Shortcake!......), and bright colored clothes and accessories. Unlike the 90s which was dark, cynical, and angry (Hole, grunge, goth, Daria...)---not to diss my own generation because there were some great things about the 90s.

I was born in '77, and I love 80s and 90s pop culture because of cartoons, music, clothes, movies, toys, etc.  I went to my first concert in the late 80s (1989) when I was 12.  I like mid to late 80s and 90s RnB music better because it had some soul, and it had some substance.  Like you, I will normally say that 70s on't be my favorite decade since I was a toddler in the late 70s, but I like 70s RnB, funk, and disco music.  That's the only part of the 70s culture that I like, but 80s and 90s will be my favorite since I was a child and preteen in the 80s and a teen and a young adult in the 90s.

Written By: friday on 02/24/09 at 1:21 pm

i may of been born in the 90's but i love everything to do with the 80's, music, fashion, its great ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/26/09 at 4:40 pm

i may of been born in the 90's but i love everything to do with the 80's, music, fashion, its great ;D

Nice. :) Good for you, yeah 80s music just has a happy feeling, it's hard to see how anyone wouldn't like it.

Written By: -Tommy- on 02/28/09 at 5:44 pm

I was born in the best year possible, 1984, but I have a big appeal to pop culture of 80's and 90's.

I feel sad for the era from 00-10.

Decade is almost over and there's absolutely nothing to point out as a "trade mark" of a decade. Unless you want to go raelly creative and say "internet".

I don't like modern music, I think it has no replay value, I think I won't listen to any of songs from this decade in 2020, so on so on...

I'm glad to find this forum, because I really like to...hm..."study"...or whatever the proper term would be, the 80's and 90's pop culture. I do graphic design and find a lot of inspiration in popular art and music of those eras.

Written By: Dude111 on 06/28/09 at 5:56 pm

I thought the 80s were gold!!

If someone had a time machene,i would gladly go!!

Written By: belmont22 on 10/31/12 at 11:02 pm

I was born in 1990 and I love the 80s. Can I be adopted into your family?  ;)

I've never really felt at home in the decades I grew up in (90s/00s) but I'm starting to miss them and feel fond of the things I do like from them as they slowly start to disappear.

Written By: GenXer on 11/07/12 at 10:57 pm

I consider myself a 70s and 80s kid. I didn't even turn 10 yet when Reagan won his first election. I was a toddler/in kindergarten  when Elvis croaked in 77' and I remember my parents being sad about that. I remember the opening scene of Star Wars when my dad took me to watch it. I remember collecting Transformers toys (My first toy was Wheeljack back in 1983) and GI Joe's before the cartoons came out. I had a lot of fun back in the 1970s and 1980s. The 1990s were awesome too. I was an adult by then, had a steady girlfriend, good job(s), and independent from my parents.

Written By: ralfy on 04/14/16 at 4:19 am

"Quick demo version: 1978 portable television converted to internet music & video steaming smart TV!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkuh3pqbn9o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/16/16 at 1:01 am

I was also born in 1976.  I was born in the wrong part of the decade.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/16 at 7:01 am

I was also born in 1976.  I was born in the wrong part of the decade.

I was born in 1974, I believe I was born in the right decade.

Check for new replies or respond here...