inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Video game consoles you owned in the early 80s

Written By: Atari on 12/20/08 at 3:57 pm

I owned the 2600, Emerson Arcadia 2001, Colecovision, a Pong clone (Telestar Ranger), and various handheld games (Pac-Man, Galaxian, Football, Soccer, Donkey Kong, many others). I didn't own any arcade games until much later, but I managed to collect most of my favorites before I got out of the business :)

Subject: Re: Video game consoles you owned in the early 80s

Written By: snozberries on 12/20/08 at 4:03 pm

I had Atari 2600, 5200, Colecovision, Intellevision and the handheld games

Written By: whistledog on 12/20/08 at 6:42 pm

I had Atari 2600 Game cartridges, but I only had the 7800

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/20/08 at 7:44 pm

I never got to own any of these ( :() but I did play Atari at friend's houses. Also, my best friend's older brother owned a Colecovision but he would never let anybody go anywhere near it!  >:(

Written By: Midas on 12/22/08 at 9:37 am

We had an Atari Super Pong came in the late 70's and in 1981 we got the Atari 2600.  I still have the 2600. :)

Written By: eugoldlareg on 12/24/08 at 8:00 pm

My parents divorced when I was a kid, lived with my dad, he had an Atari 2600, my mom had a Colecovision.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/24/08 at 10:01 pm

I had a ColecoVision but there was this module you could plug into it to play the Atari 2600 games... and I had that module.

Written By: gumbypiz on 12/25/08 at 12:14 am

Had a Atari 2600 (though it was just call the Atari Video Game system back then) and then later a ColecoVision.

The Atari was the standard, I think every other kid had one, and then after picking up a few cartridges grew tired (or tired of buying new controllers after that little quarter circle piece of plastic broke and you had to rely on opening the it and using the little pad plate inside ghetto-style  :D !)

In the meantime had to deal with the snotty kid up the street when they got a Intellivision and the constant bragging on how the graphics and games were better (and they were).

I was so glad when I got a ColecoVision to push all that back in their face, funny though by that time the videogame craze had taken a steep falling off and most didn't seem to care...I lost interest too until my little brother got a Nintendo in the late 80's and it all started up again... ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/27/08 at 3:04 pm

I never got to own any of these ( :() but I did play Atari at friend's houses. Also, my best friend's older brother owned a Colecovision but he would never let anybody go anywhere near it!  >:(

You've got me beat then, lol. :) You know, it's funny considering I'm so old-school and I was a big video game fan in the '80s, but I never even played Atari at all. The first sysytem I had (not surprisingly) was the NES when I was about 6 in 1987. I had a basic Golf game, as well as the original Zelda and the combo back on Mario Bros and Duck Hunt - that game was so annoying. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 12/28/08 at 9:55 pm

I just bought a ColecoVision.  Found one at a local Value Village for $24.99 and it had 4 games with it (Zaxxon, Carnival, Donkey Kong, Smurf Rescue in Gargamel's Castle)

Written By: snozberries on 12/28/08 at 9:56 pm

I just bought a ColecoVision.  Found one at a local Value Village for $24.99 and it had 4 games with it (Zaxxon, Carnival, Donkey Kong, Smurf Rescue in Gargamel's Castle)

SWEET!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/29/08 at 1:58 pm

We had an Atari C-380 Video Pinball game that my parents bought in the late 70's.

http://www.obsolete-tears.com/photos/atari_video_pinball_bois.jpg

What happened to it I have no idea, it may very well still be in my parents' basement or boxed up in the garage somewhere but I'm not about to tear up their place looking for it.

Still, I'd love to find it and see if it still works.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/29/08 at 2:53 pm

I was just playing the wII last night (first game I have "owned" since Pong)....

And just think it all started with Pong ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Tia on 12/29/08 at 3:37 pm

all i had was a 2600. i actually have one now, i hardly ever play it, because getting it to work with the plasma t.v. is kinda a hassle, but it looks damn good. i just think it was the all-around best looking home console ever designed.

Written By: johnny5alive on 12/29/08 at 10:11 pm

i was hooked on the full size missle command in bars and taverns,  so i bought the collecovision, it wasnt quite the same, i lost interest after just a few days, also had the oddessy II in the early 80's!~

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/30/08 at 12:20 pm

Atari 2600

Check for new replies or respond here...